Latest post Wed, Jan 28 2015 7:10 AM by mtahir. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 26 2015 7:32 PM

• lalittle
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • USA
    • Posts 512
    • Points 7,080

Media Composer 5.5, Pro Tools 11 co-install questions

Do I understand correctly that you can co-install MC5.5 and PT11 on the same system.  I see specific notes on MC6 and earlier with PT10, and MC6.5 and later with PT11, but there is limited information on MC5.5 with PT11.

I've also read notes saying that you should install PT first if you want to install MC -- is it still recommended to uninstall MC first if you want to install PT on the system?  It would be nice to avoid a full uninstall of MC if it's not totally necessary.

Note that I do own the latest version of MC, but I don't want to update until I have a solid break between projects.  I'm therefore stuck at MC5.5 for the time being.

Thanks for any feedback on this,

Larry

• Mon, Jan 26 2015 8:05 PM In reply to

Re: Media Composer 5.5, Pro Tools 11 co-install questions

lalittle:
    Do I understand correctly that you can co-install MC5.5 and PT11 on the same system
    I have never seen this information and would not try it personally. That is not to say it cannot be done. And my coinstall pre MC 7 and PT 11 were all on Mac's

lalittle:
    It would be nice to avoid a full uninstall of MC if it's not totally necessary.
    Nice yes but the install Protools first has been and still is the advice.  I would also think that this would be even more essential if you are going to try MC 5.5 with PT10 or 11  (I believe you would probably have audio problems in MC if you install MC first as Protools tends to overwrite certain audio settings.

lalittle:
    but I don't want to update until I have a solid break between projects.
    Since about MC 3 I have never bothered with waiting for a break in Projects and have had no cause to regret updating soon after an update becomes available.  However my upgrades have always been just one version.  5.5 is 32 bit and all above that are 64 bit so you may very well be wise to wait if you think you will get a break between projects.

• Tue, Jan 27 2015 1:07 AM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 19 2010
    • Posts 431
    • Points 4,645

IIRC, the first product which allowed co-install was XpressDV Studio which was Xpress DV 2 + Pro Tools 5 (?) + some bits and pieces which allowed them to more or less communicate + the software bundled with Xpress DV (e. g. Sorenson, Boris, Avid DVD). Instructions clearly stated in several places Install PT then the NLE, then the other bits in that order. Any change in any software required removing and reinstalling the entire stack of software above it. When MC 3 was released Xpress DV was killed off & users could upgrade to MC. 

Since then the co-install instructions have always said install PT before MC. Check the knowledgebase. I recently read MC 8.? PT 11 & PT 10 could not be co-installed on the same windows machine. Only 2 of 3.

Also, also co-install is just that. Both programs cannot run at the same time.

That said, one may always experiment. Especially immediatedly after cloning one's C: drive. No harm; no foul.  PT 11 uses aax audio files. All your plug-in must be aax. RTAS & TDM don't work.

Good luck & share your findings if you do experiment.

MC 8.7.2. HP Z400, Xeon W3580, 24GB ECC RAM, BMD Decklink Studio 4K, Desktop Video 10.3, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 27 2015 9:02 AM In reply to

• lalittle
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • USA
    • Posts 512
    • Points 7,080

Thanks for the responses.

So what are the latest rules when updating MC or PT (i.e. MC 8.x and PT 11 -- and soon 12.)?  Do you need to uninstall MC every time you do a PT update, or is it just the initial install that needs to be done in the "PT then MC" order?

• Tue, Jan 27 2015 11:58 AM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 19 2010
    • Posts 431
    • Points 4,645

Pro Tools 11 Co-Install Information

Co-Install notes for Avid Media Composer 6.5.3 (or higher) and Pro Tools 11

The latter includes:

• Install Pro Tools first and then Media Composer.
    • You must uninstall all older versions of Media Composer or Pro Tools before installing newer versions.
    • Co-install does not support both applications launched simultaneously.
    • If you run into any issues, uninstall both applications and reinstall Pro Tools first, then Media Composer.

MC 8.7.2. HP Z400, Xeon W3580, 24GB ECC RAM, BMD Decklink Studio 4K, Desktop Video 10.3, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 27 2015 6:11 PM In reply to

lalittle:
     Do you need to uninstall MC every time you do a PT update
    It MAY not be a need to. For the greatest chance of a reliable working system I believe it is very prudent to.

FWIW In my experience uninstalling and reinstalling both MC and Protools takes very little time. The process has never messed with either projects or sessions and my settings have always stayed in tact.

• Wed, Jan 28 2015 7:10 AM In reply to

• mtahir
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 480
    • Points 5,865

When I was trying to co-install MC5.5 with PT8.0.4, I discovered that both were writing files to the same directory - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Avid. This was a problem because in order for the Video Engine in PT8 to work (I have the Analog Mojo), it needs its own version of the files in this directory. PT8 installs them first and then MC5 overwrites them causing the Video Engine in PT8 to fail. If you didn't want to use the Video Engine then it didn't really matter. That was just one of the issues...

If I've understood it correctly, with MC5.5.3 you need PT9.0.2-9.0.5 for the Video Engine to work according to this doc. Neither can you use the audio drivers that PT8 installs as you need the MC one's, otherwise, you can't connect to the Digi002 Rack from within MC. I can understand why MC has to be installed last. To be honest, it shouldn't be happening. I can understand, perhaps, if they both worked together. I can have Adobe Audition 3 open at the same time with MC5 without problems which is why I don't use PT anymore.

If with the latest MC and PT versions you have to install PT first followed by MC, it suggests that they are sharing files. I would definitely uninstall MC before applying a PT patch and then re-install MC after it, otherwise, you're likely to run into problems.

MC2018.1 (Win7) | Dell T7500 with 2 x 6-Core Intel Xeon X5690 3.46GHz CPUs | Triple-Channel 64GB (32GB per CPU) 1333MHz DDR3 EEC FBDIMM | 3GB nVidia Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller