Latest post Mon, Feb 16 2015 4:06 AM by MarkG. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 15 2015 6:34 AM

• MarkG
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Canada
    • Posts 245
    • Points 3,135

Exception: PMM_INSUFFICIENT_MEDIA from subclip after batch (re)capture?

So, I have an old DV project from a few years ago where I deleted all the media files, and I wanted to reload them to tweak the edit. For the original project, I'd captured the entire DV tapes, then split them into subclips, and edited from those. So I tried to recapture the master clips and, a second or so before the end timecode, it said 'capture aborted due to lack of progress'; seems my DSR-11 stops a second or so before the end of the tape, so Avid won't capture the clip because it never reaches the end timecode.

I fixed that by cutting a couple of seconds off the end timecode before the batch capture, which required unlinking the master clip to allow me to modify that timecode. Nothing used those couple of seconds, so I didn't really need them.

Now, I can open the master clip fine, and see all the footage in there up to the modified end timecode. But, any time I open the subclips, I get this 'Exception:PMM_INSUFFICIENT_MEDIA' dialog box and have to click 'OK' to get rid of it. As I said, none of the clips go near the last two seconds on the tape, and they play fine. I just get this annoying dialog box for every single one.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Media Composer 8.9.4, Intel i7-3770, Nvidia GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, 250GB SSD + 3TB data drive + 4TB RAID1 video drive, Windows 7 Pro. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 15 2015 7:25 AM In reply to

• MarkG
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Canada
    • Posts 245
    • Points 3,135

Re: Exception: PMM_INSUFFICIENT_MEDIA from subclip after batch (re)capture?

Actually, it's even worse than that. Now, when I try to open the sequence, instead of all the clips showing up with 'media offline', I just get a dialogue box saying:

Assertion failed: NULL != pEntry && newLeft >0 && newLeft < oldRight

File: ../../src/CompMan/AControlClip.c, Line:617

I get a Continue option, but it doesn't actually open the sequence.

Again, all the footage used in the subclips exists. All the footage used in the sequence exists. The only thing that doesn't exist is two seconds of unused footage at the end of one master cilp. Yet Media Composer is apparently completely unable to handle that situation.

Media Composer 8.9.4, Intel i7-3770, Nvidia GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, 250GB SSD + 3TB data drive + 4TB RAID1 video drive, Windows 7 Pro. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 16 2015 3:26 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Instead of trying to batch capture the entire master clip, try batch capturing just the sequence with handles. The re-capture any additional footage you need from the original tape and edit away. To fix what you've done you may need to go back to the attic to retrieve an older version of the project.

The DSR11 was not a frame accurate editing VTR so it is not that surprising, although if you had handles on the original batch capture of the master clip that would explain your original error.

You can't muck around with master clips that are linked to sub-clips as you've discovered.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Mon, Feb 16 2015 4:06 AM In reply to

• MarkG
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Canada
    • Posts 245
    • Points 3,135

Yeah, it was originally captured from the camera that recorded it, which was presumably able to play right up to the point where it decided the tape ended while recording. I tried three times hitting 'play' on the DSR-11 near the end of the tape, and it stopped playing at three different timecodes, none of which are quite where the camera thought it ended.

I found an old backup of that sequence, and, oddly enough, it opens even though the finished sequence didn't, and that finished sequence opened fine in 5.0 before I upgraded a couple of weeks ago. It's about 30 seconds longer than the final cut, so I can probably tweak it to match.

I'll have a go at batch-capturing that sequence, and see if it works. Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller