Latest post Thu, Feb 19 2015 5:10 AM by Robert Trim. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 18 2015 5:10 AM

Artist Transport issues

So, I can see why my students don't use the Artist Transport... it mostly does not work. So I have been trouble shooting. What a time sucker. Black hole. Here's the issues:

- Totally random sequence as to what to fire up when to make it work. Fire up the EUControl software, then the Artist Transport, then MC....50/50 chance it will be recognized. Reboot the computer then fire up EUControl them MC 8.x, better chance it will work.

- Typicall issues...after it recognizes the panel, button work, job/shuttle controls won't. They did last week, not they don't.

I'm running the latest EU softare and Panel firmware updates. Yosmite, on new MacBook Pro with plenty of everything to make it work.

Any thoughts on how to make this Transport more than a pretty door stop, are appreciated.

Bob Trim

Robert Trim

Asoc. Prof. Digital Media

Ut. Valley University,

Orem, Utah.

AVID Certified Instructor

"1080p is the new VHS"

• Wed, Feb 18 2015 3:46 PM In reply to

Re: Artist Transport issues

I somewhat feel your pain.  I have both the Color and Transport panels.

Robert Trim:
    50/50 chance it will be recognized.

Keep all software running and just right click on the Eucon icon and select Restart. 99% of the time my panels will activate.

Robert Trim:
    button work, job/shuttle controls won't

I mostly cut commercials and will change projects in MC throughout the day. Everytime the jog/shuttle controls default to off which is a minor pain. You need to manually enable them by pressing the two left macro buttons assuming you haven't remapped them.

Lee

Daytime Gig Gear Hardware: HP Z820 32gb ram • AJA Kona LHi • Xtore 5tb RAID • NVidia Quadro 5000 • JVC 24" HD-SDI monitor • Avid Artist Color &... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 19 2015 3:05 AM In reply to

Thanks for the reply. Wish it were that simple.

So, restart of the software...99% failure to activate. In fact, I came home tonight, the panel said 'AVID in the display. Soon as I plugged it in to my computer, EU software running, the panel went dark. If you push the button that opens the setting window, it will. So the unit is communicating with the computer and the EU software. Oh, and don't close the lid on the lappy or let it go to sleep, it will not come back.

The only 99% solution.... well more like 85%, is to reboot the computer. That means restarting Avid MC, etc... which is a long round trip.

Fundamentally, with all the periferals out there that just plug in and work, it seem irresponsible for AVID to put out a product under their name that is so flawed. It's obviously a software issue that someone is taking little interest in fixing. I'd better shut up at this point. 

I guess I'm just in reboot hell if I/we decide to keep this thing on line for student use. If it's to much of an issue (which it already is) it will go into our 'do not buy this' display case.

Thanks again for the help.

Robert Trim

Ut. Valley University,

Orem, Utah.

"1080p is the new VHS"

• Thu, Feb 19 2015 3:58 AM In reply to

IMO most of the issues with Eucon come from wrong ethernet connections or network IP setups. In both cases I believe the documentation is extremely poor for people without moderate network experience.  From what I have seen here for some people it just works with a simple connection and for others it is a PIA to setup and get reliable but once working the memories of that frustration fade reasonably quickly.

Robert Trim:
    If you push the button that opens the setting window, it will. So the unit is communicating with the computer and the EU software.
    In my experience this just shows there is a base level only network connection (limited to something like "Hi I am XXXX and I see you")

Here the issue was addressed by either: using crossover cable or not? Documentation to vague so I avoid this by using a cheap ethernet hub.
    I also allocate and label an ethernet cable for each different connection once I know it works in the setup.

OR IP addresses and conflicts.   Should you use DCHP (auto allocate IP addresses)? I had issues with this till I connected through the hub (to each Macs Primary ethernet port) and set static IP addresses on the PC's  Mac and the Panel.  I only use this network for Eucon. (second ethernet ports on each CPU are used for office networking).   

As far as I know Yosemite is not currently approved with Eucon. (though it has been working with the only Mac here (with 10.0.0 and 10.0.1 and finally 10.0.2) Currently that Mac is off site for a couple of months so I cannot give the details of its setup.

• Thu, Feb 19 2015 5:10 AM In reply to

AndrewAction:

Thanks for the response.

There's a manual for this thing? 

Woosh... that's the sound of setting IP addresses going right over my head. 

Not sure what to do now.

Bob

Robert Trim

Ut. Valley University,

Orem, Utah.

"1080p is the new VHS"

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller