Latest post Wed, Feb 25 2015 10:22 AM by usatraveler. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 24 2015 7:09 PM

Lossless Compression Issues

Hi,

I'm using Xpress Pro HD and was attempting to export a 1080p HD project via a suggested method for lossless compression:  The Avid DNxHD Codec

However, when the export begins I get this message:  The Avid Codec cannot export using this frame size.  The size must match the resolution picked in the resolution menu.  Choose a different codec or adjust the frame size of the export.

I've tried to change things up but nothing I do is working.  Can anybody talk me through this or suggest another method for lossless compression?  Thanks!

• Wed, Feb 25 2015 8:00 AM In reply to

Re: Lossless Compression Issues

The DNxHD codecs aren't lossless. They offer between 5:1 and 7:1 compression and are often termed visually lossless but that's not the same as truely lossless.

Jpeg2000 offers a 2:1 lossless compression but on an old system like that I can't see how you have media that is uncompressed and lossless. Your source content is surely already compressed?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Feb 25 2015 10:22 AM In reply to

Re: Lossless Compression Issues

And if you're in a HD project, set your render codec in the Media Creation tool to DNxHD, and export a Same-as-Source QuickTime?

You should not need to enter the "Custom" options for QuickTime output.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.5 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller