Latest post Sat, Feb 11 2017 4:39 PM by JD Marlow. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 24 2015 7:30 PM

• JD Marlow
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 1 2013
    • NYC
    • Posts 75
    • Points 805

Cloning a clip in Avid WITHOUT keyboard modifier

Hi everyone,

I have a very specific question, which I'm hoping someone knows the answer to.

I am trying to CLONE clips in Avid (the process of holding ALT/OPTION + dragging a clip to a new bin). I find it's a brilliant way to work if you want clips in more than one bin and make sure metadata carries across everything. To be clear, this is NOT the same as Duplicating a clip (COMMAND + D).

Unfortunately, I have a snag, which is that using the remote connect software I use (GoToMyPC) the ALT/OPTION modifier isn't working for some reason. So I cannot properly CLONE clips using that software. Does anyone know of any other way in Avid to CLONE a clip without using that keyboard modifier? Can this be re-maped somehow?

P.S.Working on MC 7.0.3, Mavericks 10.9.5, Mac Pro 4,1

Mac Pro 10.9.5 (Dual Quad-Core 2.26 Ghz), 16 GB RAM, Media Composer 7.0.4.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 24 2015 9:11 PM In reply to

Re: Cloning a clip in Avid WITHOUT keyboard modifier

Not sure, but I use TeamViewer and that does allow me stuff like ALT-dragging.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 24 2015 9:29 PM In reply to

• JD Marlow
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 75
    • Points 805

That's awesome to hear -- I'll give TeamViewer a try!

Mac Pro 10.9.5 (Dual Quad-Core 2.26 Ghz), 16 GB RAM, Media Composer 7.0.4.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 25 2015 12:53 AM In reply to

• JD Marlow
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 75
    • Points 805

Gave this a try on Team Viewer and did not have much success.  Holding down ALT + DRAG results in the clip just moving from one bin to the other.  It doesn't clone like it should.  Any ideas?  Are you also on a Mac?

• Thu, Feb 26 2015 1:15 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Use Save Bin Copy As and create all your clips in a new bin. Close the source bin. Create a new bin for your cloned clips. Drag them from the copied bin to the new bin. That way both bins can be open at the same time (you cannot open a opied bin and the original bin at the same time)

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Sat, Feb 11 2017 4:31 PM In reply to

I'm running into this problem today on Team Viewer on a Mac.

Were you able to find a solution or other workaround besides creating a bin copy?

• Sat, Feb 11 2017 4:39 PM In reply to

• JD Marlow
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 75
    • Points 805

I never got to the bottom of this, no.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller