Latest post Wed, Apr 22 2015 3:29 PM by Stu. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 15 2015 1:20 AM

• Raas
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 4 2014
    • Posts 12
    • Points 195

mobile workstation

Hi everyone,

Im looking for a mobile workstation and i need your help, because I dont know much about all the important hardware facts.

Im just using Avid MC 8, Protools, AfterFX, Photoshop and MediaEncoder. My additional products are the Matrox Mini Maxed (with PCI Express Card), Avid Artist Mix, MBox Pro and a 4K client monitor. This should be an additional workstation, just for some outside jobs. So it is not a must, that all the Hardware can be connected but its nice to have. I ignored the Harddisk, because i will always work on external hdds.

I think the Dell is the best one for me. Has someone any experience with comparing them? Did i miss something?

Dell Precision M3800 Mobile
    with an i7-4712 HQ quad Core Prozessor
    Nvidia Quadro K1100M
    16Gb Ram
    UHD (3.840x2.160) Display
    Ports: 3xUSB3, 1xUSB2 1xHDMI, 1x Mini DisplayPort, 1x expresscard 54, 1x expresscard 34
    2056 $ (tax not included) (dell has some special prices at the moment)

HP Zbook 17“
    with an i7-4710 MQ quad Core Prozessor
    Nvidia Quadro K1100M
    16Gb Ram
    1600x900 Display
    Ports: 2xUSB3, 1xUSB2, 1xThunderbolt, 1x DisplayPort, 1 expressCard 54
     3.177 $ (tax not included)

MacBook 15“ Pro Retina
    2.8GHz i7 quad Core
    Nvidia GeForce GT 750M
    16Gb Ram
    2880x1800 Display (Retina)
    Ports: 2x Thunderbolt, 2x USB3, 1x HDMI, 1x SDXC 
    2.730 $ (Tax not included)

thanks so far

• Mon, Mar 16 2015 8:47 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,464
    • Points 221,460
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: mobile workstation

Hi there...

The artist mix doesnt run under Yosemite yet so that might sway your decision.  While we do expect to support Yosemite for all the Artist series, we cant until we get an updated OS from Apple.

Being a mac girl... I would vote for the Mac and just hold off on installing the Mix until we have a compatible driver.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Mar 18 2015 8:03 AM In reply to

• Raas
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 4 2014
    • Posts 12
    • Points 195

Thanks for your replay.

im still thinking about the uhd display of the dell. I read here in this forum, that people had problems with the resolution of the avid buttons. They are too small. Its probably more a windowsproblem i think, but its still a problem for me even if I had a second monitor connected.

The good thing on dell is the possibility of the dockingstation with a lot of connectionports. But im not sure if they all will work well. Probably i get latency problems if there is a lot of stuff connected.

im still confused and the deal with the dell is running out soon :/ maybe someone else has some experience with this laptop.

thank you

• Tue, Mar 24 2015 12:24 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • Posts 387
    • Points 4,895

Off your list I would agree with Marianna for the Mac. But for PC my choice would be the Lenovo Thinkpad W541 which has thunderbolt 2, better value too than HP. I would stick to 1920 x 1080 screen for 15" laptops on windows, the UI looks very tiny even then.

MC with Symphony option, 2019.6, HP ZBook 17 G5,i7-8850H 6 core/32GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P3200/FHD, Windows 10 Pro. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 1 2015 9:24 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 19 2010
    • Posts 432
    • Points 4,660

Mercer:
    stick to 1920 x 1080 screen for 15" laptops on windows, the UI looks very tiny even then.

+1 depending on one's eyesight. I find 1920 x 1080 (or 1200) small enough on 24" monitors.

I suggest a good external monitor particulary if you'll use the laptop primarily in one location. Monitors are cheaper than trips to the opthomologist and new glasses.

[edited for spelling]

MC 8.7.2. HP Z400, Xeon W3580, 24GB ECC RAM, BMD Decklink Studio 4K, Desktop Video 10.3, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 3 2015 12:31 PM In reply to

• Chris Swan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 9 2014
    • Posts 4
    • Points 40

I was a big fan of my zBook 15".  It had a good screen size, high resolution for a lot of realestate, it was lightweight, and FAST.  Also, HP comes with 3 years of ON-SITE service.  I had to have my old laptop serviced twice, and i didn't have a need to take it to a "genius" only to be told it had to be shipped out for weeks to be serviced.  the guy showed up, fixed the issue, and it was up and running within 2 days.

• Sun, Apr 5 2015 9:40 AM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • Posts 387
    • Points 4,895

Chris Swan:

I was a big fan of my zBook 15".  It had a good screen size, high resolution for a lot of realestate, it was lightweight, and FAST.  Also, HP comes with 3 years of ON-SITE service.  I had to have my old laptop serviced twice, and i didn't have a need to take it to a "genius" only to be told it had to be shipped out for weeks to be serviced.  the guy showed up, fixed the issue, and it was up and running within 2 days.

I agree. The HP  Z17 and possibly the 15 are also available with HP Dreamcolor LCDs, which are just about the best screens going, well worth the premium for pros. On-site warranty is available from all the workstation laptop manufacturers, I think, certified by Avid and I agree is well worth it. Return to base warranties, for just about any computer but particularly laptops is next to useless when it is your main or only working tool and often you might have your whole life wrapped up in it.

Budget prevented me from going for a workstation laptop and so I bought the best multimedia laptop, from one of the certified manufacturers, with specs as close to the recommended ones, only a Geforce Nvidia card is different. I'm very pleased with it and it works very well with Avid but I have probably 3 defects on it that warrant fixing under the 2 year guarantee. They're are not serious enough to stop work or justify me losing it for 2-3 weeks. I'll do that when I've built the desktop workstation properly. At which point I want to add an ssd, IPS full gamut lcd and more ram, which'll void the warranty anyway (as it's a sealed one). I don't trust brand technicians anyway, often they come back damaged cosmetically or worse.

Usually if your laptop makes it to six months without major faults (exceptions being the battery) you can be pretty sure you've got a stable one.

MC with Symphony option, 2019.6, HP ZBook 17 G5,i7-8850H 6 core/32GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P3200/FHD, Windows 10 Pro. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 22 2015 3:29 PM In reply to

• Stu
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 6 2010
    • Washington DC
    • Posts 352
    • Points 4,205

The way to work around the high res monitors (both mac and pc) is to just knock the resolution down to 1440x900 or 1600x1000.  No way around it.  I'm on a 3K display with my Lenovo w540, knocking it down to 1440x900 is fine.  Image is NOT fuzzy.

The following below are reguarding how you touch and use the laptop, both when working, and casual internet browsing.  Not processor or specs.

Lenovo w540 is fine (I use it):

- full keyboard

- cpu throttle in high loads

- is plastic-y

- only one fan for both GPU and CPU

- Max 32GB ram is nice (via 4 slots)

- Touch pad is large and great (I'm coming from a Macbook Pro previously)

Dell and HP are a much better build quality. 

- full keyboard

- Dell touchpad is hella small

- HP is touchpad is a little bigger

- Both HP and Dell have dedicated fans for both GPU and CPU

- much larger RAM capacity

Mac is very much a buy it and not change anything later:

- no numberpad!!! I didn't realized how much I missed that

- it's a Mac: thin, light, strong

- you can't change any hardware once you buy it.  At the moment you are locked to max 16GB. 

- The latest version of AVID plus Yosemite will completely eat all your Ram.

Lenovo E31 Thinkstation - MC 8.3.0 - Win7Pro SP1 - 1x Xeon 1275v2 - Kingston 32GB 1600MHz ECC - Quadro2000 /// w540: Win8.1 (not pro) - 4th gen i7 4710MQ... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller