Latest post Tue, Apr 21 2015 8:24 PM by pallen33. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 17 2015 5:25 PM

• pallen33
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 18 2010
    • Wales, UK
    • Posts 11
    • Points 105

What does Avid use as identifier for AAF?

Hi All,

I'm exporting an AAF to take a sequence to a Baselight suite for grading. My fear is that the link between my clips and the rushes might have been lost, meaning I have to go down the EDL route instead (which I'd rather avoid). The footage was brought into Avid (MC 8.3) by AMA linking to the Pro Res rushes, and then transcoding this to DNxHR for editing. I've been told that the process of transcoding footage can result in you losing the link with the source media, but I'm not sure if this is the case if you transcode after AMA linking. I don't have access to the Baselight suite, so want to see if there's some way of establishing if the AAF is going to work when I take it there.

So my question essentially is, how is media identified in an AAF? Is it the same information that is shown in the 'Source File' column in the bin window in Avid, or is it something deeper which you can't see? I've uploaded a screenshot which shows that the 'Source File' information for my clips matches what is shown for the Rushes clips, so it looks promising, but I didn't know if anyone could shed any further light?

Thanks, 

Paul

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 HP Z420 16GB RAM Avid Certified Machine Avid Certified User [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Fri, Apr 17 2015 6:48 PM In reply to

• ManChicken
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 4 2008
    • Denver, CO
    • Posts 259
    • Points 3,280
    • Moderator: MetaFuze

Re: What does Avid use as identifier for AAF?

The path/filename of the original file a clip was imported from or linked to should be maintained whether it was transcoded or not, and that should make its way into the AAF.  Depending on the media, the UMID is also in there which can be helpful for matching clips as well.

• Sat, Apr 18 2015 10:03 AM In reply to

• pallen33
    • Not Ranked
    • Wales, UK
    • Posts 11
    • Points 105

Thanks for your help. Sounds promising that the Baselight will read the AAF and link to the source clips. I wonder if anyone has any direct experience of this particular workflow just to confirm it will work?

Also, excuse my ignorance, but not heard of UMID: is that a unique identifier of some kind?

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 HP Z420 16GB RAM Avid Certified Machine Avid Certified User [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 21 2015 8:24 PM In reply to

• pallen33
    • Not Ranked
    • Wales, UK
    • Posts 11
    • Points 105

Just to update on this for anyone who has a similar question in the future, the AAF worked fine in the baselight with my workflow (AMA link then transcode).

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller