Latest post Tue, Apr 21 2015 1:01 PM by Pixel Monkey. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 20 2015 2:13 AM

• jaynew16
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 20 2015
    • Posts 3
    • Points 40

Choppy Laggy Playback Problems

I've been having serious playback issues in media composer 8 recently.  I'll get the red line above my sequence editing tracks, but rendering doesn't help (I've tried rendering in/outs and expert renders).  We've tried AMA linking, transcoding, and importing.  I reduced playback to 720 and even to standard NTSC.  I've reduced video display settings to "best performance" (the all yellow one).  I don't believe the hard drive has any anti-virus software running.  These are 5 minute shorts.  Only a couple video tracks and no more than 6 audio tracks.  

It's nearly impossibile to get any editing done when I can't watch my changes to see if they're working.  

Please help.  And thank you!

More specs below:

Footage is Canon 7D

Avid Media Composer 8.0.0

iMac OSX 10.9.5, 2.7GHz Intel i5,  8GB 1600MHz DDR3,  Dual monitor (one is 1920x1080, the other 2560x1440) NVIDIA GeForge GT 640M 512MB, nearly 1TB of storage free, 8GB Memory (I believe it's partitioned into two 4GB each... I'm working on the edit lab computer at my University). 

Hard drive is Seagate USB 3.0 with about 500GB space left. 

• Tue, Apr 21 2015 1:01 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,240
    • Points 15,655
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Choppy Laggy Playback Problems

Hi jaynew16. A few changes will get you up and running.

- Upgrade from MC8.0.0 to any newer version. As with any version "zero" release, there are lots of bugs weighing you down. I love 8.3.1. it contains many great updates.

- Although 8GB of ram is a decent amount for bare-minimum editing, it is not enough to deal with Canon 5D or 7D footage. That stuff is seriously processor-intensive. If possible, go to OWC (here) and max-out your ram.

I know you said this is your edit lab computer, which means you yourself do not have purchasing power. Yet with MC8.0.0 and that little ram, your edit lab is set up incorrectly to handle 7D footage. Feel free to share this with your instructor.

Note for your own knowledge - The difference between 720 and 1080 is small when it comes to processor workload. What really slows down a system is the frame rate and the codec. Often times when someone needs to see better performance on a lesser system, they create a 1080p23 project and transcode everything to DNxHD36. This makes for much smoother playback. 

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller