Latest post Tue, Apr 21 2015 12:18 PM by Sarita Siegel. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 21 2015 11:19 AM

• Sarita Siegel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 10 2006
    • Bethnal Green, London
    • Posts 30
    • Points 355

AVID project with Different frame footage

HI,

I am just checking to make sure that I am right, to bring footage that was shot at a different frame rate to a project (25P in this case) I need to create a new project for each different frame rate, AMA link them and then go to my master (25 P) project and open those bins and transcode them?

Many of them have been AMA'ed then mixdown exported so far but am I right in thinking this is not the correct method?

I'm on MC 7.0.4.1

cheers

Sarita

3.5 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 512 SSD 36TB G-TECH G SPEED Studio (RAID 0) HD [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 21 2015 12:01 PM In reply to

Re: AVID project with Different frame footage

There are a few ways of doing it.

For me, before MC 8.3, I used to do that - create a new project for each frame rate you used.  But I also would do any transcoding in that same project - then, open those transcoded bins in my master project.  That way, I could keep the relink relationship between my transcoded media and my AMA sources.  As soon as you convert frame rates, you can't go back.

In MC 8.3, that's not a factor any more.  I just bring everything intended for my master project, into my master project.  Temporarily switch the project format to UHD (or something else that has the DNxHR codec), transcode to DNxHR at source resolution and rate, and switch back to my intended master format.  You no longer have to convert frame rates.

AMA then mixdown actually isn't bad, it's a way to avoid a link-breaking framerate conversion.  It really depends on your workflow, how much mixed media you're using, and so forth.  It's almost case-by-case - whatever saves you time and makes it easiest to manage the media, is the way you go.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 21 2015 12:18 PM In reply to

• Sarita Siegel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 10 2006
    • Bethnal Green, London
    • Posts 30
    • Points 355

Re: AVID project with Different frame footage

HI,

This is a great help, thank you. I dont think I am confident to go up to MC 8 yet, although it seems great but I'm mid project. Yes that's why I asked as I seemed to be getting away with framerate conversions within the master project in mixdowns of short trailers and started wondering why not carry on for the one hour, but of course I need to transcode for a one hour.

Ok I will follow your advice and transcode in the new projects so I keep the relinking relationship in case I need to do it again if things crash.

Thanks again,

cheers for now,

sarita

3.5 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 512 SSD 36TB G-TECH G SPEED Studio (RAID 0) HD [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller