Latest post Fri, Mar 4 2016 3:05 PM by Marianna. 36 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 24 2015 10:02 PM In reply to

Re: slow subcap playback

I am seeing this on

• Media Composer v8.4.0 (8.2.x previously)

• OS X 10.10.3/4/5 (supported MacPro's and MacBook Pro)

• Win7

• 16-32GB RAM

• No difference for media on local drives or ISIS

• Some fonts are marginally better than others (Tuffy, Geneva and Arial seem to be fine)

• Non-English characters may make things wors - but also happens in plain English text

• Wors if title splits into 3 or more lines … but will come and go for 1-2 lines in a long sequence.

• Pre-roll will lessen the chance of stuttering - but stuttering is pretty much guaranteed if playback is started on or just before a title – specially if it creeps into 3 or more lines.

• What seem to happen is that audio will play normally but video slows down and then skips frames or even clips to catch up. 

• Tue, Aug 25 2015 3:42 PM In reply to

I reached out for an update.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Aug 25 2015 4:04 PM In reply to

Just got this from an Avid Tech:

I think you have the bug called ” MCCET-767 – SubCap Subtitles cannot be played back in real time any more

I have 4 cases on PC with it and this is the first one on Mac. I reported this and the real time performance worked in 6.5.4.5 and then it started to drop in 7.0 and in 8.X it’s not working anymore.

• Tue, Aug 25 2015 4:27 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,202
    • Points 218,050
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

It is a bug and logged to get fixed. I just informed Kevin but I am positng here.

Again, already logged and being investigated (bug # MCCET-767 - SubCap Subtitles cannot be played back in real time any more).  

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Aug 25 2015 5:49 PM In reply to

• janusz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Paris
    • Posts 394
    • Points 4,560

Great, many thanks Marianna and Kevin for following this up.  Good to hear that it has been logged and therefore in the pipeline for a fix at some point hopefully soon.

For the record and to help investigation, and further to vh's post higher up, I'm seeing this problem with fairly vanilla subtitles, Arial, Basic Outline, 2 line with normal line length, centered, transparent box, French text, codec DNxHD 185 native avid media (not AMA) with fast local storage, in an identical configuration to what worked fine with 6.5.x, Nitris DX BOB.  No multicam, no effects (other than the subcap), problem has been seen on straight one track edits with the Subcap on V2.

Janusz

MC 2018.12 / OS 10.12.6 + others elsewhere [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 25 2015 6:03 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,202
    • Points 218,050
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Janusz...

Just asked that the info be added to the bug to aid in the investigation and fix.

thanks bunches - that helps tremendously.

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Sep 16 2015 3:02 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,398
    • Points 41,030

Any word on this bug?  Need to bid out a caption job.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, Sep 17 2015 2:07 PM In reply to

As far as I know a fix has been found but it did not make it to the 8.2.5 Golden Master.

My guess is it will be made available very soon - perhaps Avid needs to do some further testing before making it public ... but my guess is it wont be a long wait.

• Thu, Sep 17 2015 2:33 PM In reply to

Actually - perhaps the magical Marianna can give us more details - at least as soon as she knows the status ;-)

• Thu, Sep 17 2015 4:27 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,202
    • Points 218,050
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Most likely going to be in 8.2.6 is there is one or 8.4.2

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Wed, Oct 28 2015 5:14 PM In reply to

• Hoel_Ruche
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 28 2015
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

Hello,

I have the same problem.

My configuration

• Media Composer v8.4.2

• OS X 10.10.5 (Yosemite)

• Mac Pro - 3,5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 Go RAM - AMD FirePro D500 3072 Mo

• DnxHD36 media files on a LaCie 5big thunderbolt

• Fonts : Arial bold

• Wed, Oct 28 2015 5:33 PM In reply to

The fix just missed the 8.2.5 version which was released on Sep 21st.

8.4.2 was only released 2 days later so my guess is the fix was not included there. 

It is however already working in the beta for 8.2.6 which should hopefully become an official release pretty soon.
    [I don't have any insider information on the actual date]

I presume that also means the fix will be included in 8.4.3 ...  or what ever the next release will be called.

• Mon, Nov 30 2015 4:45 PM In reply to

• danny
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 24 2010
    • Posts 67
    • Points 840

+1 on the SubCap not in real time issue. Just up-graded from Symphony 7.0.4 to 8.4.2 to get the 12 bit colour depth. I thought it was a Yosemite issue at first, so tried fresh install of Mavericks 10.9.5, but to no avail.

I was wondering if there are any plans to up-grade SubCap, to get rid of the nasty aliasing I'm getting - particularly on italics? Sub Cap is a great tool, but the alising means that the subtutles are not really good enough for being used in cinema projects. I realise this may too much for "real-time" playback, but maybe if there was a "render in anti-alised" mode - then at least you could export a master for DCP with smooth-edged subs.

It's ironic that now that MC8.4.2 can export at 12 bit, the sub-titles are not really quite good enough for the big screen. Because of this, we recently had to export to a different system for finishing in 12 bit and re-make all the sub-titles outside of Avid.

For now I look forward to a fix in 8.4.3 (?) for the real-time playback with SubCaps.

Mac 3Ghz 8-core cylinder Xeon E5. 32GB 1866Mhz DDR3. AMD D700 graphics x2. OS 10.12.6 with MC/Symphony 8.9.1 and MC2018 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 30 2015 5:04 PM In reply to

I believe it is fixed in MC 8.4.3 which should be coming soon.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Nov 30 2015 6:13 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,216
    • Points 14,725

Glad I came across this thread. Just started subtitling a 52mn doc with 8.4.2 and I get crazy stuttering, with Nitris DX and super fast storage (can read many layers of HD top quality DNX no pb). Have no recollection of problems in 8.3, but it could be me.

I turned off "basic outlines" on the text style and it seems better, but it's less legible on light backgrounds. Can't wait for 8.4.3 which carries a lot of hope on many fronts.

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 3 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller