Latest post Thu, May 14 2015 6:50 PM by Robert Goodman . 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 12 2015 5:23 PM

• jogotron
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 29 2008
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 51
    • Points 760

Any solutions for slow trim mode performance MC 7.0.4.3?

I've seen quite a few threads about sluggish MC performance on the forums, especially trim mode getting sluggish in versions 6, 7, and 8. Now I get to experience it first hand, as my work systems have upgraded from 5.5 up to 7. Has anyone found any solutions for sluggish trim mode? I'm talking about using the keyboard to roll cuts, and having half second to multiple second delays between keypress and avid response. I was editing last night and I would roll a cut in trim mode and have to wait several seconds as it slowly caught up with me. NOT FUN! 

Possible solutions? Would using an SSD for the system drive help? Is this a hard disk issue?

Or is this a video hardware issue?

We have Nitris DX's, connected to our MacPro 5,1 6 core Xeons. I have 16 gigs of ram. Our media is stored on an avid ISIS. Or is this a code issue, and there is no solution except new code?

Some of my co-workers want to go back to 5.5, but I don't want to give up 24 audio track playback without a fight.

It does seem like trim mode is a little smoother with external hardware disabled, but I hope this is not the case as the Nitris making the system slower would really make me want to dump my avid stock. But I can't be sure, I will test that today. 

HOME - MACBOOK PRO - 10.9.5 - 2.3 core i7, 16 GB ram. Media Composer 8, pro tools 11 WORK - Avid Isis 5000, MacPro 5,1 6-core Xeon, 16 GB ram, Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 13 2015 11:07 AM In reply to

Re: Any solutions for slow trim mode performance MC 7.0.4.3?

Tes the the hardware disabled and that will tell you all you need to know.

I suspect it will be much better in software only mode. With V6 MC moved to 64bit and opened the door to 3rd party IO that has taken a while to "settle" and it's only in the last few versions of MC have we seen significant improvements in lag in trim (and general responsiveness)

So sadly at your MC version you arer stuck at the early days of the change over and its not as optimal as it could be.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, May 13 2015 6:21 PM In reply to

• jogotron
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 51
    • Points 760

I started to get slow trim performance again, and tested running in software only mode. Sadly that did not fix the slow trim. Turning off scrubbing (caps lock) and turning off waveforms can help a bit, but these do not fix the issue either. 

Are you seeing less lag in version 8 versus 7? We can't upgrade to 8, but I sure hope avid is fixing this problem. Trim mode is Avid's great strength when editing, and this lag is frustrating. 

HOME - MACBOOK PRO - 10.9.5 - 2.3 core i7, 16 GB ram. Media Composer 8, pro tools 11 WORK - Avid Isis 5000, MacPro 5,1 6-core Xeon, 16 GB ram, Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 13 2015 6:26 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

A standard procedure is to test with all settings fresh , have you tried that

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, May 13 2015 6:53 PM In reply to

• jogotron
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 51
    • Points 760

Just tested with fresh settings. The sluggish trim is still there, but It does seem like having audio scrubbing enabled (caps lock) definitely slows it down compared to having scrubbing disabled. The waveforms didn't seem to play as much of a factor, but my test sequence is not as complex as some of our other sequences. 

So is audio scrubbing on the nitris in 7 a trim killer?

I know when we were using the matrox boxes with 5.5, that enabling scrubbing would usually crash the avid. (I actually disabled my caps lock key after one too many accidental crashes)

• Wed, May 13 2015 9:21 PM In reply to

• Isaac T.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 9 2006
    • New York / Knoxville, TN
    • Posts 753
    • Points 8,890

Have you tried removing OpenIO_VirtIO.acf inside MC?

1. Copy it to your Desktop.

2. Remove it from MC.

3. Empty your trash, and try again.

Removal instructions here:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/troubleshooting/Hangs-entering-trim-mode-with-3rd-party-Open-IO-hardware

Big old thread on the issue here:

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/132249/756240.aspx#756240

Mid-2010 Mac Pro • 2018 MacBook Pro [view my complete system specs]

isaact.co | Twitter | Instagram | Vimeo

Writer: The Frame.io WORKFLOW Guide - http://workflow.frame.io/

Post Workflow Consultant - https://isaact.co/

• Thu, May 14 2015 1:49 AM In reply to

• jogotron
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 51
    • Points 760

I will try that, but it sounds like an open IO issue effecting Matrox and AJA peripherals, is it also an issue for avid Nitris hardware?

• Thu, May 14 2015 12:58 PM In reply to

• Isaac T.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 9 2006
    • New York / Knoxville, TN
    • Posts 753
    • Points 8,890

It's a non-destructive, 50-cent solution. I don't know if Avid even knows what that ACF does. MC works perfectly fine without it.

Before removing it, open Console and invoke Trim mode. Is Console spitting out some error over and over again?

Now remove OpenIO_VirtIO.acf and try again. Is Trim faster? Did the error go away? Report back.

Mid-2010 Mac Pro • 2018 MacBook Pro [view my complete system specs]

isaact.co | Twitter | Instagram | Vimeo

Writer: The Frame.io WORKFLOW Guide - http://workflow.frame.io/

Post Workflow Consultant - https://isaact.co/

• Thu, May 14 2015 6:50 PM In reply to

Isaquit0:

It's a non-destructive, 50-cent solution. I don't know if Avid even knows what that ACF does. MC works perfectly fine without it.

Before removing it, open Console and invoke Trim mode. Is Console spitting out some error over and over again?

Now remove OpenIO_VirtIO.acf and try again. Is Trim faster? Did the error go away? Report back.

Unfortuneatly youll have to go up to 8.3 to get decent trim performance. Dont shoot the messenger. 

8.3 is back up there with 5.5 in terms of trim. - every version until then, no matter what hardware your using, is very sluggish. Ive tried Nitris,AJA,BM,Matrox. All slow until 8.3 came along. 

iMAC (late 2015) 4GHZ i7 - 32GB RAM - AMD R9 M395X 4GB 512 SSD BOOT BM Ultra Studio Express w/Driver 10.5.4. [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller