Latest post Wed, Jun 8 2016 12:28 PM by Roger Shufflebottom. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 28 2015 11:15 AM

Premiere Pro and ISIS

Anyone using Premiere Pro (CC, latest) with ISIS? We have an ISIS 5000 sually used with Media Composer. Students also use Premiere at my university. We can play out of a Premiere timeline with the files and project on a workspace but can't capture to the workspace. We have an HD studio with the vision mixer feeding a Blackmagic Ultrastudio. This shows up in Premiere and I can capture the feed to a local drive but not to an ISIS workspace. Premiere throws a 'Disk Full' error, even though there is 500GB free. Anyone? Thanks.

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.13.6 with Symphony 2018.12, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.13.6 with MC 2018.5 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Thu, May 28 2015 12:06 PM In reply to

Re: Premiere Pro and ISIS

What version of ISIS server and client software?

edit: 4.7 was the first to be qualified for PremiereCC. Earlier versions of ISIS will work but I highly suggest using 4.6 or higher. Note that per chassis bandwidth is reduced slighly from 325 MB/s aggregate to 300 MB/s if used with Premiere CC clients.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 28 2015 1:39 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,244
    • Points 27,715
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

We were able to reach full engine performance using both read and write with Premiere CC 2014 using ISIS 4.7. Much of this was done with the ISIS client so as long as you're running a compatible version you can try to install the client alone if you're not already running 4.7. 

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Thu, May 28 2015 1:57 PM In reply to

Hi Bob

This is great news. Is this indicated in a newer performance guide? 4.7.4 still uses the 300MB/s aggregate number. If there are newer numbers please have them published.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 28 2015 3:22 PM In reply to

The admin tool reports v4.7.0.15070. The Client Manager is 4.7.

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.13.6 with Symphony 2018.12, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.13.6 with MC 2018.5 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Thu, May 28 2015 6:29 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,244
    • Points 27,715
    • Avid Employee

Roger Shufflebottom:

The admin tool reports v4.7.0.15070. The Client Manager is 4.7.

This should be working, could you update to 4.7.4 as a test?

• Thu, May 28 2015 10:00 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,244
    • Points 27,715
    • Avid Employee

Dom Q. Silverio:

This is great news. Is this indicated in a newer performance guide? 4.7.4 still uses the 300MB/s aggregate number. If there are newer numbers please have them published.

Yes this is detailed in the 4.7.4 Performance Guide. The ISIS|5500 has an aggregate bandwidth of 300MB/s, this is 50% of the clients writing and 50% Reading. With All Reads, it's 350MB/s. It's certainly common for little or no baseband/realtime capture to take place in a file based workflow so 350MB/s would be a more correct engine rating.

We haven't gone back to rate the perfromance of the engine, just assure that using Media Composer or Premiere that we can hit that engine rating, not using test tools. I can use the Avid Benchmark Utility and achieve numbers much higher than 350MB/s but that doens't really matter.

The focus of the work has been to improve the I/O to the client and improve what we're calling "ineffecient reads and writes."

Premiere builds a cache for any video it plays, by defaut this cache is stored on the internal hard drive. The only way we could do any performance testing was to store this cache on an ISIS workspace. This causes a Read of the original file, Write the cache to a Workspace and Read the cache from the Workspace to take place the very first time a file is accessed.

• Fri, May 29 2015 7:41 AM In reply to

That's Client Manager 4.7.4? I'll see what I can do. Unlikely to be able to update the entire ISIS at this point!

• Fri, May 29 2015 1:22 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,244
    • Points 27,715
    • Avid Employee

Roger Shufflebottom:

That's Client Manager 4.7.4? I'll see what I can do. Unlikely to be able to update the entire ISIS at this point!

It would be ideal to update the System Director but give the 4.7.4 client a try.

• Sat, May 30 2015 10:59 AM In reply to

I'll try next week. This is an unusual situation as we have no intention of regularly capturing live feeds via PPro!

• Mon, Jun 1 2015 3:08 PM In reply to

OK - relevant Macs updated to Client Manager 4.7.4.15820. I still get a 'Recorder Error - disk Full' error from Premiere Pro when attempting to capture to a folder on an ISIS workspace. On the other hand both Media Composer and Blackmagic Media Express capture happily to the same workspace from the Blackmagic Ultrastudio. This leads me to think that this is a Premiere Pro issue. I'll leave it there - thanks for the responses.

• Fri, Jun 5 2015 1:18 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,244
    • Points 27,715
    • Avid Employee

We've reproduced the issue and believe it's specific to BMD hardware. We aren't seeing it with AJA hardware.

• Wed, May 11 2016 10:16 AM In reply to

Sorry I have been quiet on this topic. It is only once a year we need to do this and that time has arrived. I've tested again with Premiere Pro CC 2015 with every setting (scratch folders and caches) pointing to a folder on an ISIS workspace but still get the 'Disk Full' error. This is (as mentioned) bringing in video via a Blackmagic Ultrastudio. We can capture to a local disk using this setup and that will have to be our workaround.

Elsewhere, I can capture to ISIS with PPro on my MacBook Pro (DV and HDV with a Firewire connection) with no problems so it could well be that the Ultrastudio is causing the problem.

I've spoken to Michael O'Neill from Adobe about this and he says it should work (but I am not sure if they have tested using a BMD device). I will forward this thread to him.

Any further insights welcomed!

• Wed, May 11 2016 11:44 AM In reply to

Roger Can Pemiere create other media ok to the ISIS workspace?

What about a cpature not using the Ultrastudio (audio only via onboard)?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Tue, Jun 7 2016 8:21 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,244
    • Points 27,715
    • Avid Employee

Have you updated the BMD drivers? This was specific to Mac Premiere capturing QuickTime files and it has been resolved with an update to the BMD drivers.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller