Latest post Sun, Jun 14 2015 6:59 PM by Kao-Tai. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 2 2015 2:28 AM

• julzdee
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 28 2013
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Trouble Importing DSLR Video

I imported footage I shot with a Canon 6D into Media Composer 5 and when I played the footage back on the timeline and preview window, I noticed that the blacks were crushed. Color space import settings were set to 709. I then changed them to RGB and reimported a clip. The blacks weren't as crushed but there was still some detail lost. Is there a way to import these files without crushing the blacks?

I read previous posts and one suggestion I found was to bring the files in as an AMA link and then transcode. I tried that and got the original colors back. But then I got very choppy playback and the image was breaking up. This happens with the original AMA files and the transcoded files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Julie

System Specifications: Dell Precision 4500, Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU  M 650 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 64-bit Operating System, Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1,    Avid Media Composer 5, Lacie Hard Drive with 7200 rpm and eSata connection

• Tue, Jun 2 2015 1:55 PM In reply to

• bonang
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 348
    • Points 4,315

Re: Trouble Importing DSLR Video

What did you transcode the footage to? Perhaps 8GB RAM is too little.

Avid MC 2012.12 with Symphony option | HP zbook 17" G3 / i7 6820HQ / 32GB RAM / 512GB SSD / WIN 10 PRO 64 / nVidia m3000m / BMD UltraStudio 4K [view my complete system specs]

Keith

• Wed, Jun 3 2015 2:20 AM In reply to

• julzdee
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

The footage was transcoded to MXF with a resolution of DNxHD 145.

• Wed, Jun 3 2015 6:27 AM In reply to

IMport is a legacy ingest option (not very efficient and you can't change settings unless you re-import) but it sounds like you had the levels set to 601/709 instead of RGB.

However AMA is the way to go. The original AMA linked files may well not playback nicely as they are H264 and very demanding so you need a very grunty system. But once transcoded the transcoded clips should play ok. Depending on the speed of the media drive you transcoded the clips to.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Fri, Jun 5 2015 2:05 AM In reply to

• julzdee
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Thank you for the responses. Unfortunately, I tried transcoding the AMA linked files and they still played back choppy.  The files were transcoded to my Lacie drive which uses a eSata connection and it has an rpm of 7200. But I guess my system can't handle AMA files. I may have to reimport everything as RGB files.

• Fri, Jun 5 2015 5:50 AM In reply to

• Tiger_XP
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 2 2007
    • California
    • Posts 461
    • Points 5,080

On an older 2006 MBP 1,1 (2GB ram) with MC 5.5 I performed a couple of test. MC 5.5 launches from an SSD and the MXF folder is on the LaCie HD. The LaCie HD is labled that for reasons that have nothing to do with the test. The "LaCie" HD is a Western Digital 7200 placed where the DVD used to be housed.

1. 5D plays very choppy in "green" mode

2. 5D plays OK in "yellow'green" mode

3. 5D plays fine transcoded to DNxHD 175 in "green" mode

The attached shows the speed difference of the two sata drives. Even though you will not get "true" SSD speed if you connect it like your LaCie, it may be fast enough to get you out of "Choppyville"!

MacPro 2008 3.1 | 34GB Ram | Quadro 4000 980ti 960| MC 8.10 | OS 10.6.8 10.13.6 | MOTU HDX-SDI | ATTO R644| LaCie 324 [view my complete system specs]

• Fri, Jun 5 2015 8:57 AM In reply to

By 'RGB Files' do you mean setting the project colour space to RGB? Don't do that - it will make things worse.

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.13.6 with Symphony 2018.12, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.13.6 with MC 2018.5 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Fri, Jun 5 2015 5:44 PM In reply to

• ManChicken
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 4 2008
    • Denver, CO
    • Posts 260
    • Points 3,295
    • Moderator: MetaFuze

Pat Horridge:
    The original AMA linked files may well not playback nicely as they are H264 and very demanding so you need a very grunty system.

Even 'grunty' systems don't work, because Avid uses Quicktime's decoder which is its self trash, but the bigger problem seems to be Avid's Quictime bridge service being even bigger trash.. because for as crappy as Quicktime Player is, even IT can play through HD h264s with minimal CPU usage.

But it's not a problem Avid seems at all interested in addressing.

• Sat, Jun 6 2015 1:41 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,388
    • Points 97,040

In recent months I have barely touched Avid because I find that another combination of edit system and effects and finishing tools better meets the needs of my current project, but I don't think that the above post is a fair criticism.  You're not really comparing apples with apples.  Any long-GOP codec will impose greater demands on a non-linear editor than it will on a player.  Sometimes much greater demands.

The fact that Quicktime player can play a specific codec means nothing to whether your NLE could or even should.  The NLE has to recover individual frames that can be accessed in any order, arbitrarily scaled, and modified in real time with various effects.  While doing this it has to maintain sync between video and sound tracks, which it is forced to handle as separate streams.  It will also usually also be required to access several such streams in real time.

A player has to do none of that.  It simply has to modify the currently displayed frame with the next frame's update data until a new full frame comes along.  Comparatively simple hardware and software can do such a simple linear process.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 10 2015 8:18 PM In reply to

• ManChicken
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 4 2008
    • Denver, CO
    • Posts 260
    • Points 3,295
    • Moderator: MetaFuze

jwrl:
    The NLE has to recover individual frames that can be accessed in any order, arbitrarily scaled, and modified in real time with various effects.

MC can't even play them.  Only play.  Not talking about scrubbing, non-sequential playback, multiple layers, or any effects.

Premiere can. $300 Sony Vegas can. Free VLC player can... even with some effects. It's not impossible.

I stand by my assertion that MC's plumbing just isn't built for it and that they don't appear to have much interest in addressing it. Fine. People will choose software that fits their needs and not everyone needs this. But in any event they're relying on Quicktime as a platform to do a lot of the work that it's just poorly designed to do.  It's as much of Apple's fault as anyone, they don't particularly care about Quicktime on Windows and the software is as a result horrid.  Adobe in many instances bypasses Quicktime, doing the decoding themselves for certain codecs where Quicktime is terrible.

Ignorant, uncached decoding of GOPs might (even probably?) be a limitation of the Quicktime API, I don't know. Probably one of several reasons why other software goes around QT.

But with all that said, I still have issues playing all I-frame h.264 in MC, so...

• Fri, Jun 12 2015 6:39 AM In reply to

ManChicken:

Pat Horridge:
    The original AMA linked files may well not playback nicely as they are H264 and very demanding so you need a very grunty system.

Even 'grunty' systems don't work, because Avid uses Quicktime's decoder which is its self trash, but the bigger problem seems to be Avid's Quictime bridge service being even bigger trash.. because for as crappy as Quicktime Player is, even IT can play through HD h264s with minimal CPU usage.

But it's not a problem Avid seems at all interested in addressing.

Uhm my grunty systems work with H264 content from my GoPro camera.

CAn';t say why yours does and for sure Avid could do better with H264 decoding. But I find my systems behave fine with it enough for playing and editing. Any more than that and I'll have transcoded out of H264 anyway.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sat, Jun 13 2015 9:04 AM In reply to

• Kao-Tai
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 16 2012
    • Posts 49
    • Points 650
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

AMA playback of QT files has never been really good. In my experience it depends of the used flavour wether Avid can play back H264 files. I´ve 5D footage from one camera that plays back fine. Other 5D (unluckily I don´t know the technical differences; the material just ended up in my cutting room) with the same base options runs not all. GoPro 1080/50p: heavy stuttering during playback. Granted the machine is "only" a Z800 Dual 6 core with 24GB RAM and a Quadro 4000. Still that´s not out of best buy...

The QT server bridge used by Avid regularly crashes on several machines I´m working on. Avid should really address this issue fast like Adobe did. Many of my customers swith to Premiere Pro simply for the unbelieably good playback engine. Please Avid if you´re not giving us the long promied new playback engine, at least speed up the decoding of QTs!

• Sun, Jun 14 2015 4:16 PM In reply to

Biggeste culprit: MC relies on QT to decode the H264. And QT on PC is 32bit. So a lot of the horsepower of your trusty z800 (I own the same box) is not even being called upon.

Like I wrote here before, I still hope that one day we all wake up and find that QT has left the proverbial building.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 14 2015 6:47 PM In reply to

• Kao-Tai
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 16 2012
    • Posts 49
    • Points 650
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

You're absolutely right Job. Has anyone any news about the status of the MOX container? I Haven't heard any news since december. This sounded like a promising idea and with Stu as a backer it should at least get its chance. It's sad that so many cameras rely on the decrepit QT in 2015. And we're talking about high end cameras like Arris...Maybe Avid should think about using ffmpeg libraries more than they do now fir decoding if they don't come up with something unique themselves. There's an interesting thread concerning the poor playback capabilities with MC and the HP Z8xx series by jeeron van eekers. I can only back his oberservations. So the combination of very old design and defeciencies on the HP side it's nit surprising why people switch to PP.

• Sun, Jun 14 2015 6:50 PM In reply to

The Arri's don't really rely on Quicktime. They can use ArriRAW or ProRes, but the latter need not necessarily be wrapped into a QT container, does it?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller