Latest post Wed, Jun 10 2015 1:25 PM by obaker. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 9 2015 12:43 PM

• obaker
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 1 2013
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Live logging / real time logging

I've got hours of interviews I want to quickly and roughly transcribe myself, and my workflow has alwasy been:

1. load the clip into the source monitor

2. mark in and out on-the-fly using the keyboard

3. make a subclip

4. next to the subclip in the bin I type a quick description of what I've just heard, in the 'Comments' column

So my question is, there must be a quicker way of doing this? Can I type my description on-the-fly, while the clip is playing?

(A bit like in the old Media Logger application you could mark in and out and log on the fly, and then batch capture)

Any workflow tips gratefully appreciated...

• Tue, Jun 9 2015 4:43 PM In reply to

Re: Live logging / real time logging

In the old days when all footage was taped-based, this was a cinch to do with locators (markers - grrr,).  While the footage was coming in you could set a locator and type in a rough approximation of what was being said - without interrupting digitizing.  I know Capture mode allowed some leeway with subclipping on the fly. but locators were so efficient I never fully explored that method.

Unfortuntely I don't believe you can edit markers while the video is playing.  I just tried typing into the Marker window while video was playing but it stops playback.  It'd be nice for another version to add a checkmark which allows you have the marker window accept alphanemeric input while a clip is playing, and use function keys to add loca-, er, markers.  Don't know if this is possible as the Markers window is tied into the software.

In the meantime, here's a workaround.  First, make sure at least one Marker is mapped to your keyboard.  Open up Text Edit on the Mac and close any other programs you don't need open.  Go back to Avid and hit play, add a marker where you want it and command-tab back to Text Edit and type in the relevant info.  As long as you keep hitting command-tab (or, IIRC, you can click back into the Text Edit window, but not click onto Avid) Avid will still play and you can add markers from the keyboard (using an interface button stops playback).  At the end of the clip, open up the markers menu and copy/paste the lines into the comments area.  It takes me a few clips per edit session to get the rhythm down, it's not pretty, but it works in a near real-time fashion.  Sometimes I get error messages on the source side but it doesn't appear to hinder the edit.

Hope this works for you - Mark

iMac 3.4 GHz i7 32GB 10.11.6 AJA ioXT Avid MC 8.6.5 [view my complete system specs]

Alkemy X  Philadelphia, PA www.alkemy-x.com

• Wed, Jun 10 2015 1:25 PM In reply to

• obaker
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 1 2013
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Re: Live logging / real time logging

Hi Mark

Thanks for your tip - I'll give it a go. Its kind of frustrating that Avid won't let you use the keyboard to type during playback, if you're in a bin. I've just done a project in Adobe Premier Pro and you can type away a clip description while it is playing - it definitely speeds things up. It would be nice to see Avid having this feature

Thanks again

Olly

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller