Latest post Sat, Aug 1 2015 4:49 PM by AnthonyAmmo. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 5 2015 10:44 PM

Conform turnover -- two questions

Hey guys! If anyone is able to help, please note that I am working on version 6.5.4.5, as this is not my personal system.

I've done turnovers for color before where I just consolidated my DNxHD clips, but this is my first turnover to a DI company in order for them to do an online conform using the original media. I have a couple of questions:

1) What would you recommend in order to consolidate original materials? I do NOT want to consolidate/transcode my DNxHD files with handles. I want to consolidate the raw camera files, raw animations, etc for the conform, but only the ones that appear in my timeline. The post house doesn't want me to just hand over every single thing we shot. Do I need to do this manually by clicking 'find bin' and then using the information in my "source file" column, or is there a program that will read my EDL and then consolidate the referenced files to my new drive for me?

2) When a DI company requests my Avid bin, do they simply want the bin that has my turnover sequence(s) in it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I do have a few more questions, but I think they are more specific to the Post House's preferences, so I will ask them :)

System: AMC 8 (probably most recent version, subscriber) - Mac OSX Yosemite (10.10.3), 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Mon, Jul 6 2015 5:57 AM In reply to

Re: Conform turnover -- two questions

1) You cannot. They'll need to conform from the original based on an EDL or AAF from you. It's really up to them to handle this, and it is totally unusual to ask for editorial to supply the pulled footage. You could make a pullmlist and manually locate the source files, but I would not recommend it.

2) Always ask them, but probably, yes.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 6 2015 6:34 AM In reply to

I agree. If they want to conform to the originals you can't consolidate or transcode.

For Resolve finishing there is a neat tool called collect that makes a subset of your sources but as a finishing house we'd always want everyting.

For a budget conform you could relink to the original sources, do a first pass, safe grade, then transcode all to a finsihing resolution and hand that over but then they can't go back to the sources.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Sat, Aug 1 2015 4:49 PM In reply to

I'd like to thank both of you for responding. For the second question I asked, that is exactly what they wanted so it all worked out.

As for the first question, I did go back to the DI people for further details since it sounded unusual to you guys--and it was. Apparently this was a misunderstanding on my producer's part which we were able to clear up rather quickly.

My first feature turnover went very well! Great experience and huge confidence builder. Thank you for your help again and sorry I am so late in coming back to update.

System: AMC 8 (probably most recent version, subscriber) - Mac OSX Yosemite (10.10.3), 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller