Latest post Mon, Aug 10 2015 8:24 PM by berlinschnitt. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 10 2015 11:46 AM

Adding Color efect to Chroma Key / Spectra Matte

Hi!

A little different problem to that I already posted.

On V1, I have the background. On V2 der is an image that I place in the upper right corner. That image has a green screen background, so I can use the Chroma Key or Spectra Matte to key the image out, so it is to see over the background from V1.

Now i want to add a color effect, only to the little keyed out image, so that the saturation is nearly black and white. But there is no way, that the effect does only apply to the image (with the chroma key effect). I tried to nest the clip before, I tried to step in the V2 with the image and chroma effect and then putting the color effect inside. Nothing works. In one case, everything is attached by the color effect (also the background), in the other case, the former green screen is also effected by the color effect, so the chroma key losses it's function.

I tried the same thing with a png picture. On top, there was already a matte, I stepped in, put my color effect on the image below, ready, works. But not so with the spectra or chroma key.

I hate that confusing handling with seperating the effects in Avid.

Anybody an idea?

• Mon, Aug 10 2015 11:55 AM In reply to

• dmfreeman
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,850
    • Points 24,220

Re: Adding Color efect to Chroma Key / Spectra Matte

What you are experiencing is the reason that I upgraded to BCC9.  There is a Chromakey Studio effect within the package which also enables color correction parameters.  Perhaps you could just purchase that one plug in.  It has made my green screen work much more fluid.  The other option would be to do your color correction in Photoshop, then import the green screened logo.

Hope this helps,

Denny

Media Composer 8.5.4, BCC 10.0.0074, AvidDVD 6.4.4, Boris Red 5.5.2.1382, Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard with Intel 3930K Processor. 32 gigs DDR3 ram, Windows... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 10 2015 12:08 PM In reply to

Hi Denny!

Thanks for your answer. The thing is, that I want to find a possibility, to add any kind of effects to the Spectra Matte or Chroma key. For example a color effect, glow, a swirl... whatever.

Sometimes it works, if you nest an effect, the other time, you have to apply the effect to "title-matte", the other time, you have to enable "first effect"... "end effect". Terrible....

• Mon, Aug 10 2015 2:28 PM In reply to

• dmfreeman
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,850
    • Points 24,220

I understand your frustration with trying to use nested effects and the fact that the changes bleed thru to the background.  Sometimes reordering the effects in the nest will resolve this sometimes not.  Not really a lot of consistency in the way it works.

Denny

Media Composer 8.5.4, BCC 10.0.0074, AvidDVD 6.4.4, Boris Red 5.5.2.1382, Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard with Intel 3930K Processor. 32 gigs DDR3 ram, Windows... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 10 2015 7:13 PM In reply to

• Alessio.S
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 6 2011
    • Posts 14
    • Points 180

In this cases I usually do a videmixdown of the alpha channel generated by spectramatte, then i put on V3 the alpha whith a matte key effect,  remove the spectramatte effect from V2 and then I can change the color of the keyed object. Maybe is not very practical but is a workaround for grading.

Alessio

• Mon, Aug 10 2015 8:24 PM In reply to

Alessio, I did something quiet similar. I put a second videotrack above with the same content, keyed out the image, inverted the key, put a selfmade greenscreen under the track, exported as png, reimported and so on.......

Really really uncomfortable what Avid invented. 

By the way: anybody an idea, how to create something like a timer or clock?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller