Latest post Fri, Aug 21 2015 7:51 PM by hbrock. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 20 2015 11:23 PM

• ebatalha
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 20 2015
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Avid Media Composer (8.2.4) to DaVinci Resolve (11.3.1)

Hi there!

I need to find the best way to export from Media Composer to DaVinci.

What is essential to the DaVinci team is that they need a QuickTime file because they need to run the Scene Cut Detection feature, so they have all angles from some clips cutted out, because those clips are mixed on the Reggie by the director.

Our workflow at this moment is this: Make a VideoMixDown > Export to QuickTime (self contained) .mov

This takes us some time, about 15-20 minutes to a sequence with 50+ minutes.

The AAF workflow won't work because of DaVinci's Scene Cut Detection.

Export QuickTime reference won't work either we don't know why, I'm guessing the issue is that some clips don't have the Tape field filled.

We ingest material from tapes, KiPros, Sony SxS, GoPros and audio from Audio recorder's cards.

I'll appreciate any help from this community.

Thanks in advance

Best regards

• Thu, Aug 20 2015 11:51 PM In reply to

Re: Avid Media Composer (8.2.4) to DaVinci Resolve (11.3.1)

I have not tried this but it occurs to me with 11 3.1's Edit page you may be able to combine both methods.

QT movie for Scene cut as new Resolve project
    Import an AAFof your cut into that project.
    Edit the Scene cut timeline and AAF timeline together in a new timeline multi video track timeline. (Reasonably sure this would work with Resolve 12b's edit page not nearly as sure for 11.3.1's)

FWIW with Resolve 12 you can turn video tracks on and off in both Edit and Colour pages (again not so sure about R 11 for this function)    

• Fri, Aug 21 2015 9:41 AM In reply to

• Glenno
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 19 2008
    • Posts 83
    • Points 1,120

Make a video mixdown, right click the mixdown clip in the Avid bin and choose 'reveal file.' You can use that mxf file in Resolve with scene cut setection. No need to make a quicktime. If you need audio send it sperately as a wav export.

• Fri, Aug 21 2015 7:51 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,518
    • Points 64,035
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

And you can make a EDL of the track that was used to make the mixdown to feed into Resolve if you want an alternative to the scene detection feature.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller