Latest post Thu, Feb 11 2016 6:21 AM by Mondo. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 15 2015 5:22 AM

• N Ryan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 3 2014
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 81
    • Points 985

AvidFX Color Space

Does AvidFX work in 0-255 color range? My AvidFX composites create levels outside 0-100%

What's the correct way to deal with this? There doesn't seem to be a way to force AvidFX to work within a 16-235 range. And I don't want to simply apply a Safe Color Limiter and slice off the excess.

I have MC 7.0.4 and AvidFX 6.4 on OS 10.8.5

OS 10.11.4 Mac Pro Media Composer 8.6.3 with Symphony & Interplay 3.4 AvidFX 6.4 Neat Video 4.1.4 ISIS5500 [view my complete system specs]

Neil.

• Sat, Sep 19 2015 9:37 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,510
    • Points 63,915
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: AvidFX Color Space

Are your sources and project both 601/709?

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Wed, Oct 7 2015 11:47 PM In reply to

• N Ryan
    • Not Ranked
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 81
    • Points 985

My Avid Projects are 1080p25 with YCbCr 709 Color Space. 

There's no Color Space setting for AvidFX, which is not operating in a 709 Color Space.

I remember about a decade ago, when I first started using Boris RED in Avid, that I had to convert any graphics from RGB to 601 Color Space. I'm guessing the advice is that's what has to be done, now (except to 709)

It means I have to have a special set of sources of anything I want to use in AvidFX, that's different for the sources I've used in FCP7, After Effects and PhotoShop. This adds to the workload.

But also, the colors that AvidFX generates aren't 709; so if, for example, I use a Lens Flare effect, it generates peak white well above 100%, which I have to clamp in Avid. Similarly, it generates Black below 0%

I'm just trying to get me head around how to properly work with AvidFX while staying true to Rec 709...

Neil.

OS 10.11.4 Mac Pro Media Composer 8.6.3 with Symphony & Interplay 3.4 AvidFX 6.4 Neat Video 4.1.4 ISIS5500 [view my complete system specs]

Neil.

• Thu, Oct 8 2015 5:15 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,510
    • Points 63,915
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

The best way is to make sure that any RGB media brought into Media Composer is converted to 601/709 before applying any effects or other manupulations.  The Safe Color effect is likely to clip rather than adjust illegal levels.

But...if your sources are 601/709 and you're getting out of range levels, check the settings on the Composite tab. 

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Wed, Feb 10 2016 9:25 PM In reply to

• lalittle
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • USA
    • Posts 512
    • Points 7,080

N Ryan:

There's no Color Space setting for AvidFX, which is not operating in a 709 Color Space.

I've been trying to utilize the color correction effect in boris red lately (same as avidfx) and I've run into this issue.  How are you supposed to use CC effectively if the image is not displayed properly?  You have to keep popping back out to the avid interface to see what the image really looks like, which is extremely time consuming and clumsy.  Avid allows you to tell the interface to compensate for the 709 color space when displaying on the computer monitor -- why in the world would boris not allow this as well?  It seems like such a basic, fundamental feature.

Am I missing something here?

Thaniks,

Larry

• Thu, Feb 11 2016 2:54 AM In reply to

lalittle:
    In the Project settings there is an option to Generate Safe levels

"The Generate Safe Levels check-box enables an NTSC/PAL level-safe filter that allows only levels that are safe for broadcast. For example, Boris RED filters allow RGB values across the full 0-255 range. When Generate Safe Levels is selected, the RGB values are limited to the NTSC/PAL safe range of 16-235."   Quote from a search of Red 5.5 User Guide)

I use the Generate Safe when generating Avid FX / Red titles. I do not use Avid FX / Red for CC so cannot say whether it will work for you in that roll.

• Thu, Feb 11 2016 3:13 AM In reply to

• lalittle
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • USA
    • Posts 512
    • Points 7,080

AndrewAction:

lalittle:
    In the Project settings there is an option to Generate Safe levels

levels that are safe for broadcast. For example, Boris RED filters allow RGB values across the full 0-255 range. When Generate Safe Levels is selected, the RGB values are limited to the NTSC/PAL safe range of 16-235."   Quote from a search of Red 5.5 User Guide)

I use the Generate Safe when generating Avid FX / Red titles. I do not use Avid FX / Red for CC so cannot say whether it will work for you in that roll.

Unfortunately, what that option does is clip the "actual" values at 16 and 235 -- i.e. it cuts off anything below 16 or above 235, and it doesn't just effect what you see on the monitor.  What I'm looking for is a way to remap the levels being sent to the montior while within the interface so that I can see a correct representation of the image from within red.  In other words, something that will work like Avid does, which allows you to tell it that you're working on a 709 project, but that you're viewing it on an RGB (0-255) monitor.

I actually spoke with BorisFX today, and they said they would put it in as a feature request since they admitted that this was a pretty fundamental capability.

L

• Thu, Feb 11 2016 4:14 AM In reply to

• N Ryan
    • Not Ranked
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 81
    • Points 985

I agree entirely with your comment, Larry. That's where my original post started. Glad I'm not the only one who sees this problem. I feel the notion of ceating high levels and then clamping them, is a case of 'two wrongs make a white!'
    And well done to you for contacting BorisFX and getting the issue across to them. We'll see where things go from here.

Neil.

Neil.

• Thu, Feb 11 2016 6:21 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,620

N Ryan:

I agree entirely with your comment, Larry. That's where my original post started. Glad I'm not the only one who sees this problem. I feel the notion of ceating high levels and then clamping them, is a case of 'two wrongs make a white!'
    And well done to you for contacting BorisFX and getting the issue across to them. We'll see where things go from here.

Neil.

I think this stems back to where RED came from. If you go to the render option in RED as a standalone program you do get the option to remap levels on output (from memory - its been a long time since I used RED or AvidFX). If not you could always export as fullswing then bring it back into Avid via link and adjust your source settings as a workaround.

BTW - I don't think Boris will upgrade old versions of Avid FX - probably only include any new features for those users that forked out for the upgrade. 

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller