Latest post Tue, Oct 6 2015 10:39 AM by TVJohn. 110 replies.
Page 1 of 8 (111 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 15 2015 1:14 PM

• funaroma
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 23 2013
    • Posts 66
    • Points 790

MC Newbie Questions

While i have some decent prior experience with basic video editing, I was able to quickly learn enough about MC to actually receive a small but regular job offer.  But in the learning process, i made a pretty substantial mistake that nearly cost me the opportunity.

I was provided with an original MP4 that was to be edited.  Just a single file is all this project required.

I imported it into MC, made the edits and changes up to a certain point, then submitted what i had.

In the course of editing, I realized that the video as i was working on it in MC did not have the same high quality as the original source material.  Blurrier, and possibly even the wrong aspect ratio.

I obviously made a mistake during import, probably having set up the project wrong.

My two questions are:

1.  I definitely want to keep the edit work i have done so far, as the client wishes for me to continue.  However, I obviously have to fix the quality/ratio issue.  Is there a way for me to create a new project and properly import the media, then import my edits to date and have them still be correct in the new project?

2.  Before I even try to fix it, how can i get ALL the details I need about the source material, such that importing it into MC doesn't change it in any way?  How do the attributes I might see about the video (in whatever app/widget whatever you recommend) transate to project settings?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

• Tue, Sep 15 2015 2:59 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,840
    • Points 20,340
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: MC Newbie Questions

Hi funaroma,

While you are waiting for the experts to step in,   right click from the "Format" button to open up the help menu, type in "Change project format" and "Changing the Sequence Format". The information might help.

Regards,

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 15 2015 3:57 PM In reply to

• funaroma
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 66
    • Points 790

Thanks.  Here is the original file details as displayed in MPEG Streamclip:

Duration: 0:55:12
    Data Size: 576.12 MB
    Bit Rate: 1.46 Mbps

Video Tracks:
    JVT/AVC Coding, 2560 × 1600, 30 fps, 1.22 Mbps

Audio Tracks:
    MPEG-4 Audio stereo, 44.1 kHz, 243 kbps

if this is the only file used, and i want my export from MC to match this, what project settings SHOULD I use?  And doesn't the fact that I imported this file with the wrong project settings mean that the imported video and audio have taken on those project specs, and therefore I would need to re-import the original after finding the correct project settings?

• Tue, Sep 15 2015 4:13 PM In reply to

• funaroma
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 66
    • Points 790

Also, from further research, that resolution seems to imply this Aspect Ratio (name) so i guess i need to figure out how to set up media composer for that.

WQXGA = 16:10 =
    2560 x 1600
  • Tue, Sep 15 2015 11:59 PM In reply to

• funaroma
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 66
    • Points 790

• Wed, Sep 16 2015 1:32 AM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,327
    • Points 53,490

Odd resolutions can end up really dicey. Most recommended workflow is to import to DNx and edit in that format, then determining what the customer is going to do with the finished product, 16x10 is not as common as 16x9 and may cause some loss of quality.

That bit rate is really low for the resolution. Is this a game capture?

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Wed, Sep 16 2015 12:56 PM In reply to

• funaroma
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 66
    • Points 790

I will attempt re-import, to DNx.  I have no idea though how to get the sequence to use the newly imported version of the raw footage, and get rid of the old raw footage and all associated files.

Something else I read, i think, is that I could remove the current source video, relink somehow to the raw footage using AMA Link (?), and somehow get the sequence to use that instead... and then export just what the sequence has used when the project is done, and in the resolution/aspect ratio needed.  Then there's no importing at all, so no change to resolution or aspect, and then just configure the export properly to avoid degrading the quality and skewing the aspect.

Ultimately I think the client wants their edited projects returned to them as MP4s with the same resolution and aspect as the raw footage, so i really need to know how to do that.  I don't see a 16:10 setting in MC, and i'm just really confused.  =(

• Wed, Sep 16 2015 1:18 PM In reply to

• funaroma
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 66
    • Points 790

sorry, i didn't answer your other question...

I'm not sure what the client is using, but the video is a screencap from a Retina. The video itself is a combination of webcam/video in lower right of a presenter, and screencap of their browser as they view/visit web pages.

• Wed, Sep 16 2015 7:28 PM In reply to

• funaroma
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 66
    • Points 790

Is there someplace else I can post, where i can get information and assistance faster?  I'm in a bit of a bind at this point, and very confused.  Need someone to hand-hold a newb for this specific project.  It's all a bunch of edits to a SINGLE source file.  I can even go without the titling work i did, as there was only three.  But I really don't want to start over if I don't have to, if I can simply change the source video for a sequence so it's using the HD version of the raw file directly, or via import that preserves the attributes of the raw file (16:10).

Help!

• Wed, Sep 16 2015 7:46 PM In reply to

What version of Media Composer are you using?  I ask because newer versions have capabilities that can help, but it's pointless to suggest them if you're on an older version.

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Sep 16 2015 8:08 PM In reply to

• funaroma
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 66
    • Points 790

• Wed, Sep 16 2015 8:16 PM In reply to

• funaroma
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 66
    • Points 790

To summarize,

I have a raw video with these exact specs:

General
    Complete name : {path_and_file.mp4}
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID : mp42
    File size : 578 MiB
    Duration : 55mn 12s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 1 463 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2015-09-01 23:37:20
    Tagged date : UTC 2015-09-02 02:06:34

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L5
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate : 1 216 Kbps
    Width : 2 560 pixels
    Height : 1 600 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:10
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 30.000 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.010
    Stream size : 480 MiB (83%)
    Tagged date : UTC 2015-09-02 02:06:33
    Color primaries : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 40
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 243 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 370 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 95.9 MiB (17%)
    Tagged date : UTC 2015-09-01 23:40:11

i did an IMPORT (not an AMA link) and I think the project format at the time was DV 25 411 (based on what I see in the sequence / clip resolutions text).  I literally didn't know what i was doing, of course.

I did some substantial editing using that imported file, but of course I am now unable to export at the original ratio, and apparently the original quality or better.

I have discussed with the client the idea of allowing me to use MPEG Streamclip to convert the video down to 16:9 somehow (a standard ratio, using a program that was suggested to be used BEFORE importing into media composer), but would much rather just hand clients back their exact video attributes when the edits are done, in this case 16:10, 2560x1600, perhaps with better bit rate.

So I need to get the current sequence to use some form of the raw video file somehow, so i don't have to do all the edits over, and in the correct project format.

And I also need a really stiff drink right now.  =D

• Thu, Sep 17 2015 6:37 AM In reply to

You should consider upgrading to version 8.4, which introduced custom resolutions.  You could create a 2560x1600 project at 30fps, 709 color, and that should match your mp4 file.  Import or AMA/transcode the file using whatever video resolution your system can handle and doesn't use up all your hard drive space.

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Sep 17 2015 12:34 PM In reply to

• funaroma
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 66
    • Points 790

i can do that i think, but I'd still need to figure out how to use my existing edits with the imported video.  And in the interests of not making even more dramatic changes to this system in the middle of a project, I'm not sure i want to pursue even a minor point release update just yet.

So if I were to NOT upgrade, but just start a new project, how would i get the raw video into the project, and then get my existing edit sequence transferred in so that i can keep working and finish up this current project?  I really don't want to start over.

• Thu, Sep 17 2015 2:49 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,840
    • Points 20,340
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Hi funaroma,

funaroma:
    So if I were to NOT upgrade, but just start a new project, how would i get the raw video into the project, and then get my existing edit sequence transferred in so that i can keep working and finish up this current project?  I really don't want to start over.

Take a look at this thread, this explains how to transfer sequence from one project to another. It mgiht help.

Regards,

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 8 (111 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller