Latest post Thu, Oct 8 2015 12:10 AM by plnorden. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 6 2015 6:41 PM

• plnorden
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 16 2013
    • Posts 18
    • Points 285

audio import and linking weirdness

I have a lot of sound effects files that are named sequentially, "brake squeal 01", brake squeal 02", "brake squeal 03", etc.

MC seems to be unable to handle this properly. If I attempt to link to the files, I get a multichannel clip with many tracks. Here's what I get when i link to several files from a Sound ideas Dynamic Range folder:

And if i import these files, i get this:

These track assingnments are not very helpful...

This happens automatically for any files numbered from 1 thru 24. Files sequentially numbered with 25 and above seem to import and link normally.

This happens whether or not I have "autodetect broadcast wave monophonic groups" selected, and happens with aiffs and mp3s as well.

There doesn't seem to be anything inherent in thses files causing this. They import normally into FCP 7 and PPro.

ANY audio files numbered sequentially are affected...

I am using MC 8.4.2 on OSX 10.10.5

• Tue, Oct 6 2015 6:46 PM In reply to

Re: audio import and linking weirdness

In your Import Options uncheck Auto detect Sequentially-Numbered files?

• Tue, Oct 6 2015 6:49 PM In reply to

• plnorden
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 285

Hadn't thought about that since it's under the "Image" section, but no, it's not checked.

Phil

• Tue, Oct 6 2015 8:17 PM In reply to

Also under Settings > Import > Audio uncheck "Autodetect Broadcast Wave Monophonic Groups"

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Oct 6 2015 9:30 PM In reply to

• DaveS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • San Diego, CA
    • Posts 224
    • Points 2,725

plnorden:
    And if i import these files, i get this:

Does this happen if you drag the files from the Finder into the bin?

Mid 2014 Retina MBP 2.5 i7 w16 GB RAM. Running MC Symphony 2018 with PhraseFind! High Sierra 10.13.6. OWC Thunderbolt dock, 2xSSD Akitio Thunderbolt enclosure... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 7 2015 3:51 AM In reply to

• plnorden
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 285

Interseting idea, but yes, drag and drop gives me the same result.

• Wed, Oct 7 2015 11:50 AM In reply to

• Dan_B
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 26 2013
    • Posts 156
    • Points 1,695

There's a possibility that this might not be linked to the file name but the track metadata inserted by the recording device, MC will assign your track allocation based on that.

Be interesting to look at those columns within the bin in MC to see if thats the case or not..

• Wed, Oct 7 2015 12:36 PM In reply to

Kevin Klimek:

Also under Settings > Import > Audio uncheck "Autodetect Broadcast Wave Monophonic Groups"

Have you tried this? That should work.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 7 2015 7:30 PM In reply to

• plnorden
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 285

This was the first thing i checked, and seems to have no effect.

I don't see anything in the metadata causing this. And it's not just these specific files. ANY audio file that is sequentially numbeered is equally affected. I tried copying a bunch of random audio files to the desktop, then renamed them "test 1', "test 2", etc. Same result when linking or importing.

• Wed, Oct 7 2015 8:14 PM In reply to

I have just tested this here with some sequential audio files, and could not replicate this behavior.

Any chance you could post 3 of those files somewhere for us to test?  PM me if you want to send a private link.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Oct 7 2015 9:23 PM In reply to

plnorden:
    I tried copying a bunch of random audio files to the desktop, then renamed them "test 1', "test 2
    Is it worth trying files renamed to  1 test, 2 test.....  or 1_test, 2_test..... ?

• Wed, Oct 7 2015 9:41 PM In reply to

• plnorden
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 285

That's a different story. Numbers PRECEDING the name are fine, and import/link correctly.

This issue only seems to affect files sequentaillynumbered at the of the name. And I've got a lot of SFX and music files named like that.

Doesn't matter if it's 1,2,3, 01,02,03, or if ther's a dash or a space before the number.

And it doesn't seem to be only my system, running on my Macbook Pro. I tried this at a friend's iMac based system, running a different version of MC and OS X,  with the same result...

• Wed, Oct 7 2015 9:45 PM In reply to

• DaveS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • San Diego, CA
    • Posts 224
    • Points 2,725

plnorden:
    ANY audio file that is sequentially numbeered is equally affected.

I tried this with five whoosh SFX files, numbered as _01, _02, etc. They all came in A1A2 (stereo).

Are your Sound Ideas wav files stereo? Your bin snap shows each file on its own single track. Makes me think somehow the monophonic wav files are triggering BWF-like behavior.

Another probably unrelated thought - have you tried this import with fresh user settings?

Mid 2014 Retina MBP 2.5 i7 w16 GB RAM. Running MC Symphony 2018 with PhraseFind! High Sierra 10.13.6. OWC Thunderbolt dock, 2xSSD Akitio Thunderbolt enclosure... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 8 2015 12:10 AM In reply to

• plnorden
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 285

"Makes me think somehow the monophonic wav files are triggering BWF-like behavior."

Yup, that's what's happening all right. But also with aiffs.

I actually just tried linking to some SD2 files that I've got in my library, and those link and import normally. Go figure.

I've already reset my user, project and site settings...

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller