Latest post Wed, Oct 7 2015 9:51 AM by othila. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 6 2015 10:48 PM

Avid workflow for Sony A7S

From all my research I have come to the conclusion that Avid doesnt support the files from this camera and/or the XAVC-S format.(Correct me if I am wrong) because I have found on the Sony website that the PDZK-MA2_V3.4 says it does support XAVC-S however from reading the other posts and having no luck in successfully linking to it I don't believe that to be true.

I am wondering what the workflow should be to get these files into Avid either transcoding to DNX(preferably lo-res probably DNX36) through da vinci and also successfully re-linking back when going online? 

I am running Avid MC 7.0.4.4 on Mac OSx Yosemite 10.10.2

Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Oct 7 2015 12:57 AM In reply to

• gumbaedit
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Richmond, VA
    • Posts 520
    • Points 6,830

Re: Avid workflow for Sony A7S

Davinci resolve will see them, but it doesn't see the audio.  You get dead air.

6 core Late 2013 MacPro 3.0 gHz, 16 gigs RAM, MC 8.8.5 on OSX 10.12.4, DNxIO, Flanders CM250, BMD Desktop Video version 10.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 7 2015 1:38 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,467
    • Points 63,430
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Resolve 12 can read the audio (yay!), but no version of Resolve can read the time code (boo!).

You've got some choices:

1.  Use Catalyst Browse software from Sony.  If you own the camera it's free.  If you don't it's $199 after the free trial expires.  In my experience, the free trial lasted one launch.  (Boo!)  It has built in LUTS and can convert to XAVC-Intra and XAVC-Long  in UHD or 4K but ProRes and DNx are limited to HD.  And it's glacial (slooooooow).  Since you can apply LUTs within Media Composer, I wouldn't suggest burning LUTs into the transcodes especially because you're likely to use the transcoded material when coloring since the original media probably won't convey TC and/or Audio depending on where it ends up.

2.  Use Edit Ready.  It's $49.   Can convert to UHD or 4K DNxHR and ProRes (select Custom output settings) also DNxHD and ProRes for HD.  Reads TC and Audio.  Can load LUTs, but you need to get them from somewhere first.  Very simple and fast.

3.  Adobe Media Encoder can read audio and TC but because Prelude can't read TC batch processing is going to be tough.

4.  FCPX can read the audio and transcode to ProRes, but no TC.

5.  Resolve can read the audio and turn the files into whatever.  Again, no TC so make sure you designate a unique reel number for each "card" especially if the camera is set to reset the file names back to C0001 when changing cards.

6.  <begin rant> Storm Sony with pitchforks?  This is rediculous.  AMA codec support is the manufacturer's responsiblity and the A7S has been out for over a year.  <end rant>

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Wed, Oct 7 2015 9:51 AM In reply to

• othila
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 29 2011
    • Posts 206
    • Points 2,540

I use Edit Ready, just run a pass through (re wrap) then AMA into Avid and transcode from there.  It's the best solution.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Matrox MX02 on MacPro4,1 Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz, Memory: 16 GB, OS 10.8.5, NVIDIA Quadro 4000 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller