Latest post Wed, Oct 21 2015 4:23 AM by hbrock. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Oct 17 2015 8:20 PM

• mudshark73
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 10
    • Points 120

4K Workflow with multiple frame rates

I will be editing a two minute video that will be delivered 4K 59.94fps (various codecs) with 5.1 mix. I will be getting 4K source footage at 59.94 and 29.97 (RED). Probably about 50/50.

I have yet to edit in 4K. Do you guys edit in a 4K project or do you transcode to DNxHD, edit at HD, then bring that sequence into a 4K project and relink to 4K source footage for output? Can I work in a 59.94 project and bring in the 29.97 footage in from a 29.97 project?

I have two systems I can use. One is a tricked out trash can and the other is one of the last MacPro towers. Both would be pulling from drives that should be plenty fast for the 4K footage. MC 8.3.1

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Keith

• Sun, Oct 18 2015 4:53 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,520
    • Points 64,055
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: 4K Workflow with multiple frame rates

Forget about non-Avid codecs, that is llkely to be an awful experience even with a tricked out trash can.  (Your actual mileage may vary.)

If you've got enough bandwidtch DNxHR could work.  Best to run some tests.  Otherwise, AMA originals, transcode to DNxHD, edit in HD, relink to AMA 4K sources and transcode to 4K DNxHR for the final output.  Or process and transcode dailie in Resolve, edit HD in Avid, conform and color in Resolve and then bring it all back into the Avid as DNxHR for final outputs.  Or any number of other variations...

If you're working in MC 8.4 you can do all of this (4K, HD, 59.94 and 29.97) all in the same project.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Sun, Oct 18 2015 12:33 PM In reply to

hbrock:
    If you've got enough bandwidtch DNxHR could work.  Best to run some tests.

In my brief testing,  DNxHR ran good on my maxxed out Late 2013 15" MBP Retina so the ashcan or highly specced Legacy Mac Pro should have no problem with it.

Good Fortune,

Robert

MacBook Pro Late 2013 2.6 ghz I7/16gb RAM/GT 750M/1TB PCIe SSD & MacPro Early 2009 24GB/GTX1080Ti/HIT2TB/WD650/WD1TB/ProAvio Scary RAID External. [view my complete system specs]

Robert A. Ober
    IT Consultant, Vidcaster, & Freelance Preditor(Producer/Editor)
    www.infohou.com
    Houston, TX

Filed under: ,
  • Mon, Oct 19 2015 8:14 PM In reply to

• mudshark73
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 10
    • Points 120

Thanks for the info, guys. We are having transcodes done on set, so I will have HD avid media ready to go. I just wasn't sure if anyone was actually editing in 4K without issue. I am going in tomorrow to run some tests.

Thanks again,

Keith

• Tue, Oct 20 2015 8:50 PM In reply to

• mudshark73
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 10
    • Points 120

So I did some tests with the 'transcode to HD, edit HD, bring that sequence into a 4K project, relink to 4K source' and everything is working fine. Our delivery is now 29.97 (not 59.94). Most of the source material is 29.97, but some clips are 30. When I transcode the linked footage, if I select 'Keep source's frame rate' I am limited to DNxHR codecs as transcode options. I'm assuming I would want to keep the sources frame rate for relinking back to the 4K sources later. Is it a problem to mix DNxHR and DNxHD footage in a timeline? I haven't noticed any issues, but just wondered if this would be something to worry about.

Thanks again.

• Wed, Oct 21 2015 4:23 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,520
    • Points 64,055
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

No issues as long as you use a version of Media Composer than can handle DNxHR.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller