Latest post Fri, Nov 20 2015 8:46 AM by Sef. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 17 2015 1:31 PM

• Tempest
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 17 2015
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

Green Source Window

Hey, new to Avid and having a little trouble.

I have footage off of a JVC camera that gives me a green screen in the source window/no image in Avid but I can hear the sound. I've been told that's because I don't have a h264 codec installed.

Does anyone know where I can download and install a reliable one?

Thanks in advance.

Filed under: ,
  • Tue, Nov 17 2015 1:38 PM In reply to

Re: Green Source Window

What specific version number of Media Composer are you running? Mac or PC? What video card? Do you see the green source window when you're capturing from the camera, or have you already got the material in the system and you're seeing a green screen when you play master clips?

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Nov 17 2015 2:05 PM In reply to

• Tempest
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

camoscato:

What specific version number of Media Composer are you running? Mac or PC? What video card? Do you see the green source window when you're capturing from the camera, or have you already got the material in the system and you're seeing a green screen when you play master clips?

Media Composer 8.4
    PC
    GeForce GTX 960

I see the green screen when I've imported the files into Avid and play it in the source window.

Thanks for replying!

• Tue, Nov 17 2015 2:31 PM In reply to

What kind of files are they? Instead of importing, what happens if you link to them? Do they play correctly that way?

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Nov 17 2015 11:33 PM In reply to

• Tempest
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

camoscato:

What kind of files are they? Instead of importing, what happens if you link to them? Do they play correctly that way?

They're .mov (Quicktime Movie files). 
    Linking doesn't work either, audio plays but no image.

I should probably mention that I can't play these files in Windows Media Player either. I can hear the sound but there's no image.

I've managed to import .mov files into Avid before off of a Canon 5D Mark III camera perfectly, vision and sound. I've been told the reason why I'm having problems with these JVC camera files is because they're compressed differently and I need a h264 codec.

Thanks again.

• Wed, Nov 18 2015 12:42 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485
    • Moderator: MCA PC

If you're only having the green video problem with specific files and not with everything, you can try installing VLC player to get codecs.

If you have the green screen with everything, your Nvidia drivers are probably to blame.  You'd need an eariler driver version.

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Wed, Nov 18 2015 12:35 PM In reply to

• Tempest
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

smyers63:

If you're only having the green video problem with specific files and not with everything, you can try installing VLC player to get codecs.

If you have the green screen with everything, your Nvidia drivers are probably to blame.  You'd need an eariler driver version.

I can play the files using VLC but I'm still unable to get image when playing it in Avid.

• Wed, Nov 18 2015 1:50 PM In reply to

What type of MOV files are they?  Sounds like it might be something like those HDV-format MOV files that use an Apple-made codec that only gets installed with the Final Cut Pro suite.  Extremely annoying.

IF they are indeed HDV files (not sure), it might require something like the Calibrated{Q} XD Decode pack to be able to view these.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 19 2015 1:09 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Tempest:

smyers63:

I can play the files using VLC but I'm still unable to get image when playing it in Avid.

When I say everything I mean in Avid.  Are other clips playable in Avid?  Try something you know should play in Avid such as Avid-created media.  If that's green, look into changing Nvidia drivers.  Beyond that, you may not be able to play those files in Avid unless they're converted to a compatible format.

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Fri, Nov 20 2015 8:46 AM In reply to

• Sef
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Maarssen, The Netherlands
    • Posts 1,008
    • Points 13,650

In the past, I had some troubles with the Capture tool. It turned out that for unknown reasons, the Format was wrong. There are, in my system, two options: Windows Mixer and Host-1394

Video and Audio should have the same Options choosen. I think, it should be Windows Mixer.

Maybe this helps.

MC6.0.5, QT version 7.7.3, AvidFX 6.2(64bit), Squeeze Pro 8.5.0.41, AvidDVD 6.4.4 (still in my system, but I don't use it anymore), Boris Continuum... [view my complete system specs]

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller