Latest post Sat, Dec 12 2015 10:08 AM by Job ter Burg. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 1 2015 12:29 PM

Log tools for Avid Media Composer?

There must be someone that has the same challenges as me.

I am looking for a tool/program/app whatever that will allow me to "realtime" log on a Set where we are doing some recordings. It is a scripted show and i would like to be able to log while we record the show.

For example, Scene 7, Take 2, Best Take + TC

Back home, i will AMA link the recordings, and in a perfect world just load my log and Avid would put my recordings together with my log data.

Something like this.. just not for Final Cut :)

http://lumberjacksystem.com/

• Tue, Dec 1 2015 6:02 PM In reply to

Re: Log tools for Avid Media Composer?

I don't know if it is possible, but you *may* be able to patch external analog audio Time Code into the line-in of a laptop running MC.

That TC would *hopefully* then show up as a TimeCode Source when you are in Capture mode, having chosen LTC INPUT (this is how it works on a Nitris DX system).

Or: you may be able to choose INTERNAL as your Timecode Source in Capture tool, which would be Time of Day from the laptop. Perhaps that will match your production TC.

With that working, you should be able to Capture what I call a "dummy" clip where you can press Markers on the fly to include your typed comments alongside the automatically generated TC info).

Later, you would be able to open the Markers tool for that dummy clip and EXPORT Markers as a TEXT file and/or as an XML file. That might be just what you're after, but perhaps you need more...

I *believe* you can IMPORT that newly created Marker Text file (or XML) onto an Auto Sequence made up of your AMA'd production clips-- because the range of TC on the logged Markers would be within the range of the recorded clips. I tested this out, but not with AMA clips (v7.04).

Do I think this is a great way to do it? Not necessarily, but I thought you may want to try it. Merry Christmas.

NOTE: The Capture you would do on your laptop will most likely require a minimum of an A1 track, which I think can be set to analog on a laptop-- it doesnt need to have any usable sound-- it's only used to permit Capture of an MC masterclip with Markers.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 4 2015 10:33 PM In reply to

I would consider using Avids Capture tool. It COULD work for you if you change it from Capture mode to Log mode and Disable TC and Machine control.

You would manually enter an approx start and end time. Open a new bin for each "Card"  and maybe make the Tape name in the capture tool a unique Card identifier.   Then Link (AMA) the card into the same bin.
    (If capturing to a device like a AJA KiPro you maybe able to set it up as a capture device and get the Timecode in via a 9 pin control cable.)

• Sat, Dec 5 2015 3:31 AM In reply to

I recall using this:

http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/6/ltc-logger

with good results, to add LTC TC into an

Excel doc. I can't recall, but I think I was able to

somehow create a txt doc that in turn would Import as

Locator (now Marker) info. So, that would be a pathway

to adding markers with automatic TC-- without having MC on the laptop.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Dec 5 2015 5:09 AM In reply to

Or if you have access to older Avid installers Avid Media Log could become an option. I cannot remember which version Avid stopped having installers for this program (I can see installers with MC 5.5.5 and the Readme for it with MC 6.0 installer in a quick check of my archive downloads here) I was never been able to fathom why Avid did not develop it to make it more applicable to File based logging and instead just dis guarded it.

• Sat, Dec 5 2015 3:47 PM In reply to

I just did an app search on my communicatoršŸ“žand sure enough "time code" brings up some apps... at least one designed for logging. Should have figured that first...

• Fri, Dec 11 2015 6:26 PM In reply to

Found this: http://www.movie-slate.com/

Going to check it out, anyone has any experience with it?

And thanks for all they help, to be honest i think we will end up on Final Cut with this one :-/

• Fri, Dec 11 2015 11:00 PM In reply to

• ManChicken
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 4 2008
    • Denver, CO
    • Posts 258
    • Points 3,265
    • Moderator: MetaFuze

I looked at MovieSlate and wireless LTC transmitters/receivers like the Timecode Buddy last year, but the hurdle I could never get over was ultimately 'attaching' the marks/notes to the linked camera originals in MC (R3D clips in this particular case) in any sensible fashion.

• Sat, Dec 12 2015 10:08 AM In reply to

Michael Phliips' blog explained how Media Composer’s merging rules are too strict for MovieSlate and other similar tools to work: http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=200

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller