Latest post Wed, Dec 16 2015 9:29 PM by marisajo_. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 16 2015 7:21 PM

• marisajo_
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 16 2015
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Mixed frame rates in timeline

Hello,

I'm working on a feature documentary in Avid 8.4. This all started from repeated crashes upon export. I tried rebuilding the database, exporting sections, conslidating, etc. and still the timeline would crash (at different places each time).

So I did some digging and discovered that I had some mixed audio rates in my timeline. So I selected and tried "change sample rate." After doing this, all of the incorrect clips went offline, including some video clips.

So I did a decompose on the sequence to find that I have about 50 clips (both audio and video) that are either incorrect sample rates or incorrect frame rates. My project is 23.976 and I have some 25 FPS and some 29.97. For audio my sample rate is 48000 and I have some imported at 41000. (Just want to say I didn't do the setup for this project! Just fixing other peoples mistakes. ugh)

Now I have a bin with my incorrect clips and if I try batch imoprt (on a selection of clips or just one) it says I cannot because of the mixed sample rates. Also nothing happens when I try "transcode" in consolidate and transcode.

I tried a suggestion I read about exporting an ALE of these clips, changing the rates in excel, and reimporting. This did work and I am able to batch import these clips. But these are now seperate clips and are not linking to my timeline.

Overall question being, how do I transcode these clips to the proper frame and audio rates and relink them in my timeline so I can finally export?

Thank you for all the help in advance!

Marisa

• Wed, Dec 16 2015 8:22 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,361
    • Points 16,770

Re: Mixed frame rates in timeline

Unless you're trying to combine clips in a muilticam group Avid has no problems working with mixed frame rates on the timeline -- so it's very likely that's not what's causing your crashes.

By messing with the ALE you're probably breaking any link between the originally ingested media and your clips, meaning you will have to do a lot of this by hand.  Was the media initially imported or linked (AMA'd)?  Linking is much more flexible, but once you start one way you must follow through with the same method.

Batch importing will require ingesting into a project that matches the frame rate of the source material -- and then opening the ingest bins in your main project.

Try doing a video and audio mixdown of your program, then create and export a timeline using just the mixdowns.

• Wed, Dec 16 2015 9:29 PM In reply to

• marisajo_
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 16 2015
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Re: Mixed frame rates in timeline

Thank you so much for your reply!

Good to know, the frame rate is not causing crashes.

All the media was imported.

I am going to try the mixdowns but I can't seem to relink the media that went offline. (I've tried all different relinking settings options both on the timeline and on the offline clips) Should I try going to a previous project prior to the offline issue to see if my timeline is all online there? All the previous sequences in this project are also offline.

Thank you!

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller