Latest post Fri, Apr 28 2017 10:29 PM by dustyngobler. 56 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (57 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 29 2016 8:00 PM

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,338
    • Points 60,280
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

Avid MC 8.5 is here...

Click here for the download link.

Click here for documentation (read me, installation guide, etc.)

+++++++

Attn: Mac Users -- Contrary to some popular opinions,  El Capitan IS supported with this release (see below).

+++++++

New OS Support:  Depending upon your hardware the qualified Operating Systems are:
    • Windows v7 64-bit SP1(Professional) and Windows v8.1 (Professional and Enterprise), Windows 10.

• Macintosh v10.9.5, v10.10.1, v10.10.2, v10.10.3, v10.10.4, v10.10.5, 10.11

Upgrading to Mac OS v10.11 (El Capitan):

(Mac) If you upgrade to Mac OS 10.11, you must uninstall Media Composer.  Reinstall Media Composer after you perform the OS upgrade. If you use Avid Artist DNxIO, you must also uninstall the Desktop Video software and reinstall it after the OS upgrade

What’s New  This release has a number of exciting new features and important bug fixes.  See below for a highlight of what is new in this release.

Listed below are some of the new features in Media Composer v8.5.

• Menu Simplification: The menus have been reorganized to remove legacy menu items and simplify the user experience.
    • Timeline UI Improvements: A number of updates have been made to the timeline, including enabling Sync Rollers for Sync Locked Tracks, the ability to see full segments as you drag them within the timeline as well as the effect their repositioning will have on the rest of the timeline before you commit the change, and creating a new track by dragging a segment above the timeline.
    • Support for 64 Tracks of Audio: Users can now create and work with 64 individual tracks of audio.
    • Group by Audio Waveforms: Group clips can be made based on audio waveform analysis.
    • HDR Support: Media Composer now includes color spaces for High Dynamic Range (HDR). This provides support for a higher range of video signal, and enables automatic color transformations for source files based on the HDR color space set in the project. 
    • Audio Mixer Updates: You can now resize the Audio Mixer and create custom track groupings.
    • FrameFlex Rotation: Users can rotate the framing box in the FrameFlex source settings using the Z rotation slides, enabling the straightening or reframing of an image at the source level rather than in the timeline.
    • Interactive Video Frame Cache: A new Video Memory tab has been added to the Media Cache settings to allow users to save generated frames of the current playing sequence into a memory storage cache, resulting in faster response times while editing and playing back media. 
    • UI Personalization Tools: Additional UI settings have been added to allow users to change the background color of the Project Window and Timeline, and override Bin and Project fonts and font sizes.
    • Bin Columns Updates: The process for adding Custom Columns as well as Multiple Columns in bins has been simplified, and you can now copy and paste the same text to multiple fields within a column.
    • Identifying Rendered Effects: Users can now choose to differentiate between rendered effect media and Title and Matte key effect media in the Media Tool. This is helpful when identifying media to delete.
    • Ancillary Data SCC Import: Media Composer now supports importing of Scenarist Closed Caption (.scc) files.
    • …and more!

Bug Fixes:  For a complete list of fixed bugs and new features, see the documentation link above.

Some of the Resolved Bug Fixes are:

• In some instances, Frame Counter was one frame off after applying a reverse motion effect speed change to a clip. 
    • If you opened the Title Tool in a certain language and then changed to input text in a different language, the editing application would freeze when saving the title.
    • When the keyframe button in the Timeline was deselected, Timeline settings were ignored. 
    • You could not successfully drag from one bin to another after performing a Same as Source export. 
    • And more…..

Four ways to obtain Media Composer v8.5:

1. If you who have already installed the latest version of Media Composer, you will be notified of the availability of the upgrade via the Application Manager (AppMan). The Apps tab will also provide a link to download and install the update when desired.
    2. New customers who purchase Media Composer will receive this v8.5 update in their Avid Master Account at http://www.avid.com/account
    3. Customers on current and valid Upgrade & Support plans can download the Media Composer v8.5 update either from their Master Avid Account or the Avid Download Center (login and password required.)
    4. Customers not on a current  Upgrade & Support contract ( never bought one or it has expired ) must purchase either a new Media Composer Subscription or Perpetual license to receive this update.

More details ongoing...

Mac Pro. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC Ultimate 2018.10.0. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), iPad Pro 12.9". 17" Macbook Pro i7. Dell... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 29 2016 8:53 PM In reply to

• beckirk
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 130
    • Points 1,720

Re: Avid MC 8.5 is here...

MC 8.5 isn't showing up in my Appman even after syncing.  I know I can download it manually but I have gotten spoiled with the easy uninstall/install using the Appman.  Any idea when it will show up?

Cheers!

Kirk

System Specs: Windows 10 64bit Avid Media Composer 8.6.5 QT v. 7.7.4 Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core 32GB RAM C Drive: Mushkin... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 29 2016 10:01 PM In reply to

The latest release of Media Composer (8.5) has a number of exciting new features and tools to improve your editing experience. With HDR Support, Simplified Menus, 64 Tracks of Audio, Trim and Segment Editing Improvements, Grouping by Audio Waveforms, and FrameFlex Rotation, Media Composer has the tools to help you take your projects to the next level. For more information, check out our Media Composer 8.5 article on Avid Blogs.

Social Media Manager at Avid
    Editor-in-Chief avidblogs.com

Got a great story to tell for #TimelineTuesday?
    Want to share a Media Composer Tutorial on #TutorialThursday?
    Contact me!

Twitter: @editorbelga
    Facebook: fb.com/editorbelga 
    WWLD

• Fri, Jan 29 2016 10:11 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,338
    • Points 60,280
    • BlogAuthor

beckirk:

MC 8.5 isn't showing up in my Appman even after syncing.  I know I can download it manually but I have gotten spoiled with the easy uninstall/install using the Appman.  Any idea when it will show up?

Cheers!

Kirk

Have you updated to AppMgr 2.5.1?

Mac Pro. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC Ultimate 2018.10.0. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), iPad Pro 12.9". 17" Macbook Pro i7. Dell... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 29 2016 10:15 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,338
    • Points 60,280
    • BlogAuthor

Adman:

beckirk:

Cheers!

Kirk

Have you updated to AppMgr 2.5.1?

Details on upgrading appmgr are contained in this posting, fwiw (scroll down. Perhaps it will offer some help.

• Sat, Jan 30 2016 12:34 AM In reply to

Glad to see audio waveform grouping has been added but we're still a long way from a decent grouping solution.  Is anyone at Avid aware of websites like groupitforme.com or avidsupergrouper.com?  Just buy the *** thing and integrate it in to the program and save us all the misery of the current caveman-era grouping functionality.

Andi

HP ZBook G5 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 Nvidia Quadro P2000 4GB 32GB Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.9.0 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, mid 2014) 2.5GHz Core... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 30 2016 1:35 AM In reply to

• Leo153
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 1 2007
    • Lenox, MA
    • Posts 408
    • Points 5,070

@ Wim,

Thanks for the Avid Blog link- terrific MC 8.5 read.

MC 2018.12, BCC 10, Nvidia Quadro K4200,ver.340.84, QT 7.7.4, HP Z840 3.06 12 core, 32 Gig RAM, G-Tech G-Speed eS, 12 TB RAID5, GTech Studio 6TB Thunderbolt... [view my complete system specs]

• Sat, Jan 30 2016 3:23 PM In reply to

• Darren Houle
    • Not Ranked
    • Central Florida
    • Posts 32
    • Points 470

I'm on App Mgr 2.5.1.115 / MC 8.4.5.38655 and I don't show 8.5 download either. My license is perpetual, active and doesn't expire until Aug 2016.  I've rebooted and logged out and logged back in to App Mgr.  I received the popup saying there's updates, but after opening App Mgr everything says "current."

Dell Precision Workstation T3500 Intel Xeon W3550 Quad Core Processor (3.0GHz, hyperthreading) 12 GB DDR3 NON-ECC SDRAM NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 30 2016 3:59 PM In reply to

Darren Houle:

I'm on App Mgr 2.5.1.115 / MC 8.4.5.38655 and I don't show 8.5 download either. My license is perpetual, active and doesn't expire until Aug 2016.  I've rebooted and logged out and logged back in to App Mgr.  I received the popup saying there's updates, but after opening App Mgr everything says "current."

I don't know why sometimes the App Manager takes a while to update.

In the meantime, you can download 8.5 the old fashioned way from this link:

esd.avid.com/ProductDownload.aspx?id=1448

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Jan 30 2016 5:20 PM In reply to

I have three running projects. Is it safe to upgrade from MA 8.4.4 to 8.5, i.e. can I continue on these projects in 8.5 without problems?

MB: ASUS P6TD Deluxe, ATX, Intel X58, QPI 6.4GT/s, Intel LGA1366, 6xDDR3 1600MHz, PCI-E V2.0, On-board Soundkarte. CP: Intel Core i7 920 (2.66 GHz) Quad... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 30 2016 5:40 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,627
    • Points 60,455

I would say over the years that the all experts agree - you should never upgrade in the middle of a project. Having said that, if there is a new feature that is a must have, then figure out a way to backup everything in case something goes wrong and then give it a shot.

I don't think you'll ever get an official 'go ahead' from anyone at Avid - it's too risky.

Does this sound reasonable to you, Roland?

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.12.1 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sat, Jan 30 2016 6:37 PM In reply to

BarkinMadd:
    I would say over the years that the all experts agree - you should never upgrade in the middle of a project
    Pre 1999 I would have agreed. Since then I have updated in the middle of at least 1 project with almost every update and not regretted it. Nor ever had to revert to a previous version. (Qualifier   I have never had shared storage so experience has all been with local storage)

As with every update I think the best advice is to download and study the Readme and Whats New immediately to see if there is any new features you need and or any bug fixes or known issues that would help or hinder your individual setup and workflows.  

Here 8.5 is working well but with a system with a current tight deadline project I have not upgraded to 8.5 only because there are enough UI changes that would significantly slow me down until I update my muscle memory.  

• Sat, Jan 30 2016 7:31 PM In reply to

Roland Achini:

I have three running projects. Is it safe to upgrade from MA 8.4.4 to 8.5, i.e. can I continue on these projects in 8.5 without problems?

When I went from 8.4.5 to 8.5 I started getting Nvidia errors that would crash Media Composer after it had been open for a few minutes. I upgraded the OS from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro, and the Nvidia errors went away.

I realize my graphics card is unqualified, so I'm not blaming anyone/anything, but this is the first MC upgrade that didn't immediately work on my system with no trouble, so I'd be hesitant to say you should go ahead with no worries if you're in the middle of a bunch of projects and can't afford any downtime for troubleshooting.

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Jan 30 2016 8:34 PM In reply to

Does this update fix the broken Pan & Zoom effect?

• Sat, Jan 30 2016 9:24 PM In reply to

peacebreaker:
    Does this update fix the broken Pan & Zoom effect?
    Does not show it in the readme (that I recall).

Here is a link to the documentation (Readme and Whats new)

Page 1 of 4 (57 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller