Latest post Fri, Feb 19 2016 7:08 PM by Job ter Burg. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 18 2016 10:19 PM

Exporting and keeping Log S color/gamma look?

Hello-

Export question.

Been exporting 1080 29.97 footage - primarily Log C shot C300 & Long S shot F5/Fs7/F55, then consolidated in Avid - for our motion graphics guy to build graphics from. Footage will be full frame and relatively unmediated in his graphics. Goal is to deliver uncolor-corrected HD res level exports that function more or less as the master media, ie we don't want to re-conform/matchback his work later in online/finish. 

Per his recc, I've been exporting ProRes 444 HQ (color space is overkill I'm guessing given our footage) and generally those exports' color looking pretty close to the originals in Avid. But for some footage - esp our S log stuff - exports definitely look more visually punched up. More saturated color, higher contrast. Doesn't seem to be any hidden frame flex color correct on these. Maybe I'm not understanding how Log S works. 

Any recc.s for an HD codec that will best maintain original color across these var camera formats? Important bec/ in all likelihood our colorist will want to do his own pass on the motion graphics work. And again, don't want to matchback. It's a LOT of very short shots.

Thanks in advance, Nick.

• Thu, Feb 18 2016 10:26 PM In reply to

Re: Exporting and keeping Log S color/gamma look?

NickRavich:
    But for some footage - esp our S log stuff - exports definitely look more visually punched up. More saturated color, higher contrast.
    Welcome to ProRes. Inside MC, that is defined as Rec709, and when you export Same As Source, the resulting file is fine, but QT player will have a flag that 'corrects' the display mode so that Rec709 legal is expanded to sRGB (for display on computer monitors).

I'd opt for DNxHD175x/185x/220x.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 19 2016 4:23 PM In reply to

Thanks Job.  Hopefully my designer can deal with that codec.  Nick.

• Fri, Feb 19 2016 7:08 PM In reply to

DNxHD is a free download.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller