Latest post Sat, Mar 12 2016 10:36 AM by S.Clements. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 10 2016 9:06 PM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 811
    • Points 10,750

Possible to save a title as an effect that can be applied to filler of any length?

Hi,

I had a weird experience at work today in which I somehow thought I could take a title clip and apply it to any length of filler.  I thought I'd done this in the past, but maybe I've spent too much time in Premiere or something.  

Another editor created a title clip and saved it to a bin and it was only a couple minutes long and that's what I was stuck with, when applying a watermark that lasted a whole 30-minute piece.  

So, am I crazy, or is there a way to save a title effect of any length?  Are there any workarounds, besides dropping title clip after title clip after title clip into the timeline, when applying your watermark to a long piece?  

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Thu, Mar 10 2016 9:29 PM In reply to

Re: Possible to save a title as an effect that can be applied to filler of any length?

S.Clements:
    apply it to any length of filler.  I thought I'd done this in the past
    Not in my experience. Titles, other than Crawls and Rolls, are limited to 2 minutes AFAIK.

S.Clements:
     Are their any workarounds, besides dropping title clip after title clip after title clip into the timeline, when applying your watermark to a long piece?
    For me make the watermark in a graphics program and Import it at any length you like (up to 6 hours)

If you use the same watermark for multiple projects you could make a timeline with it in as long as you want by dropping the clip in multiple times and put this timeline in a Favorites bin so it shows up in all your projects.

• Thu, Mar 10 2016 9:32 PM In reply to

Re: Possible to save a title as an effect that can be applied to filler of any length?

If you are able to make the watermark within the Title Tool, you can also export the title, which would allow you to re-import it at the length you choose, as Andrew suggested.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Mar 10 2016 9:39 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 811
    • Points 10,750

Thanks for the confirmations, guys. Good tip about exporting and re-importing, but we have to customise the watermark constantly.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 10 2016 9:52 PM In reply to

S.Clements:
    but we have to customise the watermark constantly
    Try the Title timeline in a Favorites bin idea. Save the title to the Favorites bin.
    When you want a new customised Watermark open the Title timeline from the Favorites bin and use the Edit Title function. Should update all instances of it in the Title timeline. 

• Thu, Mar 10 2016 10:17 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 811
    • Points 10,750

AndrewAction:

S.Clements:
    but we have to customise the watermark constantly
    Try the Title timeline in a Favorites bin idea. Save the title to the Favorites bin.
    When you want a new customised Watermark open the Title timeline from the Favorites bin and use the Edit Title function. Should update all instances of it in the Title timeline. 

Ok - Will try that.  Thanks!

• Fri, Mar 11 2016 3:45 PM In reply to

AndrewAction:

I'm not sure that's true. I believe once a title is in the timeline, you need to edit (or replace) each instance. That's one advantage of using titles that you import. If you change the file and batch import, it will change everywhere in your project.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Mar 11 2016 7:17 PM In reply to

Kevin Klimek:
    I believe once a title is in the timeline, you need to edit (or replace) each instance.
    True. My bad.

• Fri, Mar 11 2016 8:09 PM In reply to

• fsm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 24 2009
    • Germany
    • Posts 161
    • Points 1,975

add a timewarp with 0% to the alpha and the fill channel, double click on the title in the timeline, than u can trim to any lentgh you want

MC 2018.5 & SYM / BM Monitor4K / Windows 10 prof. 64 bit / i7 3930k / Quadro M4000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 12 2016 10:36 AM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 811
    • Points 10,750

fsm:

add a timewarp with 0% to the alpha and the fill channel, double click on the title in the timeline, than u can trim to any lentgh you want

Wow!  That's quite a workaround!  Will try!  Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller