Latest post Tue, Apr 5 2016 1:44 PM by Marianna. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 25 2016 12:26 PM

What version with this dongle and El Capitan?

Hi!

I haven't used my Avid in a while. I have this dongle and have updated my computer to El Capitan. MC 5.5 doesn't work with El Capitan and MC 8 doesn't work with this dongle. Is there an AVID version that works with this dongle and El Capitan?

L-I 

Avid MC 8.1.0 iMac, 2,9 GHz Intel Core i5, El Capitan [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Fri, Mar 25 2016 12:56 PM In reply to

Re: What version with this dongle and El Capitan?

Might you be able to roll your computer back to the last version of OSX that supported MC 5.5, which is 10.7.5?  Or, you can dual-boot, one partition El Capitan, the other Lion?

Alternatively, if you were to purchase an upgrade to "Media Composer | Software," you'd have access to MC 8.5.1, which is compatible with El Capitan - and it would include a dongle updater.

The thing is, I'm not sure if upgrades are available at all anywhere.  For a time, Videoguys had some, but they don't seem to have them now.  In what I think is a very unfortunate policy decision, Avid is only making perpetual licenses available at full price now.  So, you either go to the "subscription" model where you pay monthly or yearly in order to keep using your software at all, OR you go a new "perpetual" license.  In either case, your existing license has no trade-in value at all.

A couple of times in the last couple of years, Avid has sold upgrades for something like $400-600, and maybe they will again.  I guess just keep looking out to see what happens.

For now, your options are either roll back to 10.7.5, OR start a monthly or annual subscription, OR buy a new perpetual license.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 5 2016 1:05 PM In reply to

Ok, thank you very much for your reply.

I

Avid MC 8.1.0 iMac, 2,9 GHz Intel Core i5, El Capitan [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 5 2016 1:44 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,948
    • Points 214,875
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Also, it depends on the part # on your dongle.   Could you email me directly the system ID and dongle serial # on the tag or if you cant, insert the dongle and using the dongler mansger - do whats called a dongle dump and send me the text file along with the information on your MC version OS etc...

I can see if this will work with a higher version.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller