Latest post Sat, Mar 25 2006 3:33 PM by sep. 27 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 24 2006 1:20 AM In reply to

• AK-Jake
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Anchorage, AK
    • Posts 2,576
    • Points 32,130

Re: Scrolling timeline

For those who are wondering, Avid used to have a scrolling timeline in its Meridien-based products, but removed it for DNA.  Here's to hoping it comes back again.

Cheers.

Avid Symphony Nitris 3.x (DNA), HP xw8400, 3TB Avid Media-Array; Avid Xpress Studio HD Complete 5.1.3, HP xw8000, dual-3.06 ghz Xeon's; 2 GB of RAM;... [view my complete system specs]

When 900 years old YOU reach, look as good, YOU'LL not!!  Hmmm?

• Fri, Feb 24 2006 1:46 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

I also miss the scrolling timeline feature.
    Adrenaline MCA 2.8 XW8400 3Gb RAM DNxcel Board, 760 Gb striped SCSI media storage, 1.2 TB 4 X striped SAS 15 000rpm storage.----MC Soft 2.8 + Mojo HP XW8000... [view my complete system specs]

sep

"out of difficulty comes performance"

Web site : www.audiacom.com

• Fri, Feb 24 2006 3:10 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

In the symphony nitris too please!
    Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Thu, Mar 16 2006 9:50 PM In reply to

Confused [*-)] Re: Scrolling timeline

• Thu, Mar 16 2006 9:50 PM In reply to

Confused [*-)] Re: Scrolling timeline

• Sat, Mar 18 2006 7:35 PM In reply to

Randall L Rike wrote:
    The Scrolling Timeline feature was removed from "software-based" Avid systems.. It required too much cpu power and could easily degrade system performance.  Perhaps as cpu's get faster, it may be included again.

As Randy stated above, Scroll while playing a Media Composer feature that began with version 7.0 MC on the ABVB boardset.  Neither the CPUs offered at that time, the PMACs 9500 and 9600 nor the supported ram, a max of 384 mbs, were sufficiently robust enough to support the feature and resulted in Video and or Audio Underruns and as you might suspect, numerous calls to support.  It was found in Timeline settings.  Scroll while playing continued as a feature through version 10.5 MC on the Meridien hardware based systems but was discontinued thereafter.  With Adrenaline systems totally reliant on the processing speed of the CPU.  To date,  the feature has not returned.  Present status on the radar scope at this time is unknown.

Bob Hird   

Avid Technical Support

• Sun, Mar 19 2006 6:22 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

Good to know Avid Technical Support is listening to us !

Yes, most of us are aware of the possible issues, scrolling timeline could bring, or brought in the past. Thats the technician "vision" of the problem. However the user's vision is rather different. I myself worked with "scrolling timeline" on on our Meridien system and never had any problem ! It was very useful for me, I can say I did appreciate it and miss it today ! I can't be satisfied by the statement that, because of CPU overloading, "we have removed this functiun" ! This is not the most elegant way to find a solution to a problem

Adrenaline MCA 2.8 XW8400 3Gb RAM DNxcel Board, 760 Gb striped SCSI media storage, 1.2 TB 4 X striped SAS 15 000rpm storage.----MC Soft 2.8 + Mojo HP XW8000... [view my complete system specs]

sep

• Mon, Mar 20 2006 4:55 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 754
    • Points 9,340

Fascinating that this has popped up again and from Avid Tech support...  Definitely worth considering re-introducing as an option, that can be turned off if users are experiencing CPU choke so to speak.  From a users POV it is invaluable to see where you are at, what is coming up etc.

Another sugestion that this brings up - we see in many software apps, especially games, where the software runs a hardware diagnostic to determine "optimum" settings.  Perhaps Avid should consider it too - it can look at CPUs, RAM, drives etc and run some standard tests.  It could point out un-certified components in the system, it could suggest how many real time tracks, render settings, scrolling timelines etc and this might in turn reduce users from thinking things were "buggy" when in fact they are asking too much from there systems for a particular activity?

Scrolling timeline - yes please!

MC8.10 Win 7 64 with Dongle, Dual 10 core Xeon, Quadro K4000, Adaptec RAID 5-8x3TB, External TB2 4x3TB, 64G RAM, BM Intensity Pro 4K. NewBlue Titler 6... [view my complete system specs]

Vote 1 - Dongles.

UME an old engine, now with 4K, mags and furry dice....

• Mon, Mar 20 2006 7:15 AM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

carlgmi wrote:

Definitely worth considering re-introducing as an option, that can be turned off if users are experiencing CPU choke so to speak. 

Yes, of course !

sep

• Fri, Mar 24 2006 9:40 PM In reply to

• javierd
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 28
    • Points 410

Hmm [^o)] Re: Scrolling timeline

Ummmm...just a question....If you are playing your sequence shouldn't you be watching the monitor instead of the timeline.  I worked on Meridians for years and always had that feature turned off, what's the point?
  • Sat, Mar 25 2006 4:01 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 754
    • Points 9,340

But you did have the "option" to do that where now there is no option.  Just personally, I found the visual information very useful and gave me a feel and reference point for adusting timing on longer projects.  Definitely no right and wrong answer here but for those that miss it - please give us the option of having it!

MC8.10 Win 7 64 with Dongle, Dual 10 core Xeon, Quadro K4000, Adaptec RAID 5-8x3TB, External TB2 4x3TB, 64G RAM, BM Intensity Pro 4K. NewBlue Titler 6... [view my complete system specs]

Vote 1 - Dongles.

UME an old engine, now with 4K, mags and furry dice....

• Sat, Mar 25 2006 9:21 AM In reply to

• AK-Jake
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Anchorage, AK
    • Posts 2,576
    • Points 32,130

javierd wrote:
    Ummmm...just a question....If you are playing your sequence shouldn't you be watching the monitor instead of the timeline.  I worked on Meridians for years and always had that feature turned off, what's the point?

The point is that, yes, most of the time you ARE watching your monitor (external or Composer).  However, it's nice to see your timeline update in real-time...especially if you notice something that's not right when you're viewing your project on the monitor.  With a quick glance down at the timeline, you can generally see what the problem is, without having to halt playback.  There's plenty of other reasons, too.

This feature isn't ultra-critical, but it's handy as heck, and should be in the software.

Period.

Avid Symphony Nitris 3.x (DNA), HP xw8400, 3TB Avid Media-Array; Avid Xpress Studio HD Complete 5.1.3, HP xw8000, dual-3.06 ghz Xeon's; 2 GB of RAM;... [view my complete system specs]

When 900 years old YOU reach, look as good, YOU'LL not!!  Hmmm?

• Sat, Mar 25 2006 3:33 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

carlgmi wrote:

Definitely no right and wrong answer here but for those that miss it - please give us the option of having it!

Yes, this is definitely the conclusion on what this thread may bring us !

sep

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller