Latest post Tue, May 3 2016 4:28 PM by ManChicken. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 26 2016 12:57 PM

End of life of Avid DS or a timely rebirth in Media Composer?

Here is the idea,

Avid now a days has to deal with competition more than ever. As adobe premiere is backend with tools like after effects, it is a one stop to have it all. In potential you can do compositing, color grading, even grafisch design via photoshop. 

Avid DS is Avid's answer to finnish  a production.  It's compositing tools are based on node base techniques.

Commercially Avid DS is not successful; the sales are slow.

Instead of accepting this death house construction, i believe we must rescue avid DS.

I can imagine an integration of the node based workflow into media composer. let's imaging you can make a nested clip in witch you can use note based compositing of the media available to avid. This allows for a larger support of professional plug-ins which may be node based in design. 

With this approach avid rescue's DS technology and will preform better in an side to side comparison of editing systems, out there.

As media composer is getting less featured, by excluding script sync excluding secondary color grade, excluding voice recognition, It will be outperform by other software in the eco-system, like blackmagic design, davinci, fusion.

Using nested plugin support, media composer can stay very easy usable for beginners, yet be powerful enough for the total inhouse workflow on the nodebased principle.

I'm curious to hear if people on this forum,
    do miss more potential in avid media composer?

Let's improve avid's media composer competitive position!

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1.34700 on OS X 10.10.1 Mac Pro Processor Speed: 3.7 GHz Number of Processors: 1 Total Number of Cores... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Tue, Apr 26 2016 7:33 PM In reply to

Re: End of life of Avid DS or a timely rebirth in Media Composer?

Like the idea for much better functionality.

DS was Windows only code which is an issue for Avid's policy of MC being equalon Windows and Mac.
    Also Avid did not write or develop the DS code and probably no one who wrote any of the DS code still work at Avid now. 

Fusion (was PC only) with Edit Connection was suggested to DS users when Avid EOL'd DS.  Now Fusion is both PC and Mac and I believe it would still be an enormous help in adding node based functionality with resolution independent finishing tools many of which are currently missing from MC.

• Tue, Apr 26 2016 8:35 PM In reply to

Dump Avid onn the Mac (as they should have years ago) The add Ds as a plugin to MC.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Tue, Apr 26 2016 8:53 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:
    Dump Avid onn the Mac (as they should have years ago)
    They dumped it years ago. The resultant near catastrophic effects on their bottom line made it a very short lived experiment. 

• Wed, Apr 27 2016 1:25 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,387
    • Points 97,025

Meanwhile Lightworks goes from strength to strength, is truly multi-platform, has node-based compositing, is supplied with Boris Fx and/or Grafitti and is now spawning off-shoots that show real promise.

Resolve is trending towards a complete all-in-one post solution, is Mac/PC based with a Linux solution available (if you can afford it).  It has node-based compositing via Fusion.

Blender now has comprehensive editing and compositing tools added to a very powerful 3D application.  Compositing on that is also node-based, and again, it's truly multi-platform.

I don't think that Avid only has Adobe to worry about.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 2 2016 7:09 AM In reply to

• dew
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Posts 512
    • Points 6,565

Yep many other editors are becoming more evolved. Heard a rep for Black Magic say they are working to make Resolve more of a polish editing software while still being able to intergrate with other editing software for color work. Of course what Adobe is doing with his intergration of software has moved people in that direction as well. Avid has to be more of a forward thinker. Things are changing. 

• Mon, May 2 2016 10:34 AM In reply to

AndrewAction:
    Pat Horridge:
    They dumped it years ago. The resultant near catastrophic effects on their bottom line made it a very short lived experiment. 

Time to repeat that experiment if you ask me. But the question is not Avid only. Adobe, BM, Lightworks face the same question. Edius and Vegas never made it to Mac OS. The commercial factors are many and I guess complex so I'm not saying I know it is best to drop Mac OS support. But Apple has not been supporting its case for years now and the question is if our business needs to react to that or not.

'Once bitten, twice shy' it says. Apple 'bit' us more then once that's for sure.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Mon, May 2 2016 3:07 PM In reply to

AndrewAction:

Pat Horridge:

Yes they dumped it without really explaining how sticking with Apple was negatively impacting development. And I dread to think how much supporting the Mac OS has drained and slowed the development.

It was all Apple at one point and Avid looked to jump to PC too early. But these are just tools to do a job and I'd rather just one platform that gets all the development than constrantly chasing the latest Mac OS changes..

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, May 2 2016 3:43 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:
    Dump Avid onn the Mac
    That would be a shortcut to losing at the very least LA studio clients, and probably quite a few other markets. All similar software is cross-platform, and for good reason. Why would you want to be depending on one single platform?

Pat Horridge:
    I dread to think how much supporting the Mac OS has drained and slowed the development
    That's rather speculative. Sure, I have no idea what it costs to maintain the app for both platforms, nor what the income from Mac users is. But I think one would need to know in order to draw conclusions.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 3 2016 4:28 PM In reply to

• ManChicken
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 4 2008
    • Denver, CO
    • Posts 258
    • Points 3,265
    • Moderator: MetaFuze

Avid never understood what they had in DS for the ~15 years they owned it.. why would they start now?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller