Latest post Sun, May 15 2016 2:22 PM by marluc. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 10 2016 11:31 PM

• marluc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New York State
    • Posts 373
    • Points 4,590

How to reduce video flicker?

I am reviving an old work from 1979 that was shot on 3/4"tape. There are seven channels in the installation.  I have transfered the tapes to digital by copying from a V0-9800 recorder/player (lucky to find a good one still available) to DVCam HD tape, then capturing that footage in Avid. Then I will output them to .mov files and convert those to mpg-4 to be played in the digital players I use. I have done this with other material--notably black and white footage--that turned out very well.

My problem this time is that I am presenting on several different sized old-school monitors (Sony PVM 2030, 2530 and 3230) that don't seem to have the same playback quality for this footage. The smaller monitors look great, but the big 32"ones show a window screen pattern and a distinct and annoyng flicker.  I have tried Neat Video for noise reduction but that's as far as I got.  It makes the images look better but the flicker is still there.  

What else should I try?  I should add that the fotage was shot directly into the sun and, therefore, has a high brightness level.

marluc

DESKTOP: 27" iMac/3.5GHz Quad Core i7/ 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 8GB/1TBFlash Storage/NVIDIA GTX 780M 4GB, running OS X 10.9.2 and MC7.06. 1x 10TB Glyph... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 11 2016 12:07 AM In reply to

Re: How to reduce video flicker?

The newer versions of BCC have a Flicker Fixer effect that may be worth a trial with a demo option (if there is one)
    I would also try a motion effect using the one of the better options (not duplicate field) and Interlace to Progressive  setting.

• Wed, May 11 2016 12:09 PM In reply to

• marluc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • New York State
    • Posts 373
    • Points 4,590

Thanks Andrew, I will give this a try and will look for the BCC option.  Could this have anything to do with luminance, being tht it was shot directly into the sun?

marluc 

DESKTOP: 27" iMac/3.5GHz Quad Core i7/ 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 8GB/1TBFlash Storage/NVIDIA GTX 780M 4GB, running OS X 10.9.2 and MC7.06. 1x 10TB Glyph... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 12 2016 1:31 AM In reply to

• N Ryan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 3 2014
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 71
    • Points 885

marluc:
    I am reviving an old work from 1979 that was shot on 3/4"tape. ...  I have transfered the tapes to digital by copying from a V0-9800 recorder/player (lucky to find a good one still available) to DVCam HD tape

So it's Standard Definition and you went to a HD tape. How did you get it upscaled? Did the DVCam deck do that? And the footage from 1979 would be interlaced; how did you handle that?

The fault MAY be in your process rather than simply in the playback of the final material.

Neil.

OS 10.11.4 Mac Pro Media Composer 8.6.5 with Symphony & Interplay 3.4 AvidFX 6.4 Neat Video 4.1.4 ISIS5500 [view my complete system specs]

Neil.

• Thu, May 12 2016 11:26 PM In reply to

• marluc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • New York State
    • Posts 373
    • Points 4,590

N Ryan,

To be clear, I transferred the 3/4"tape to DVCAM, not really HD.  It seemed to work like any tape dub.  The capture was as SD, 4:3 screen ratio.  All my footage is interlaced, so there seemed not to be an issue there. But you may be right that the basic problem is there.  However, then why would some monitors play the footage perfectly well, while only the large, 32"CRT shows this flicker?  Need an old-school technician familiar with these monitors, perhaps.

Marluc

• Fri, May 13 2016 12:04 AM In reply to

marluc:
    while only the large, 32"CRT shows this flicker?
    CRT monitors display 50 (PAL) half frame height fields (each filed only showing every second horizontal scan line). Most modern TV's do not display fields. Hence the earlier suggestion to try making progessive frames using blended or interpolated  or VTR style or Fluid Film settings in Timewarp with sorce as Interlaced and output as Progressive.  Fluid Film is the best but very slow and can cause strange artifacts with rapid horizontal movements.

• Sun, May 15 2016 2:22 PM In reply to

• marluc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • New York State
    • Posts 373
    • Points 4,590

Just wanted to report that this issue has been solved, and as I suspected, the flicker problem was NOT in the video--that was solid as a rock.  But in the large monitor itself.  It has many adjustments, and I finally found the one that eliminates the flicker.  Why the PVM-3230 has this problem and the 2530 and 2030 don't I cann't explain.  All are CRTs, NTSC ,525 lines with s-Video inputs. I even tried a portable Time Base Corrector, which did other things to the image but did not help the flicker. Unfortunately, all my old-schol technicians who used to help with such problems are either deceased or out of business, and no one repairs these oldies anymore. Anyway, these big tubes look great when installed!

marluc 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller