Latest post Thu, May 26 2016 6:29 PM by will_RPS. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 25 2016 6:50 AM

• will_RPS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 9 2016
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Runaway playhead in 8.4 (Yosemite MacPro w/ AJA IoXT)

This is definitely an odd one...We have had three editors on two different MacPros in two different projects experience runaway playhead situations.

Basically, the editor will be playing back a sequence, and lose control of playback. Neither the keyboard nor mouse work in Avid (but they can navigate Finder and force-quit Avid fine). So esentially the playhead will continue on until it reaches the end of the timeline, at which point the only way to gain control of Avid again is to force-quit it. Unfortunately, this means I don't have any crash logs dig through.

Wondering if anyone else has seen this come through.

We've tried full uninstall / reinstall. Removed the AJA. Switched to an Avid DNxIO. Removed the "OpenIO Virtualization Plugin." Even did the fun old "displays have spearate spaces" toggle that Avid Support loves. 

Specs:

MacPro6,1 running 10.10.5, 64GB RAM

MC 8.4.4 and 8.4.5

AJA IoXT with 12.3 driver

Shared storage over 10Gig

Mac OS X 10.10.5 MacPro6,1 6-core 32GB RAM MC 8.4.5 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Wed, May 25 2016 8:30 PM In reply to

• Bruce Carter
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 17 2014
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 66
    • Points 725

Re: Runaway playhead in 8.4 (Yosemite MacPro w/ AJA IoXT)

I have seen this once and it was last week.  At that time I was running MC 8.5.2 and MacOS 10.11.4.

I'm now running MC 8.5.3 and MacOS 10.11.5.  If I see it again I will update.

FWIW, my hardware is completely different from yours.  I have a MacBook Pro with a Dell monitor attached via

HDMI, and Thunderbolt media drive.

2014 Apple Retina MacBook Pro, 16GB Memory, 1TB SSD, MacOS 10.11.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 25 2016 8:49 PM In reply to

• will_RPS
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Interesting, and good to know! I was hoping an upgrade it 8.5.X would be the simple solution.

I was thinkging it could be IO realted (since I haven't seen it on a non-AJA-connected MacPro...yet), but it looks like I may need to take a step back.

That said, I'm trying a new AJA beta driver, after a full uninstall + reinstall of 8.4.5. Tomorrow I think I'll got to 8.5.2 and see what happens.

Mac OS X 10.10.5 MacPro6,1 6-core 32GB RAM MC 8.4.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 25 2016 11:22 PM In reply to

• Jayson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, May 5 2008
    • los angeles
    • Posts 373
    • Points 4,690

Yup I've been seeing this happen all week on 8.4 and possibly 8.5 but can't say for sure. It seems to happen with linked footage in particular especially when you press play and then move the mouse into a different screen. So for instance I have my notes open in safari on my 2nd monitor and Avid open on my iMac. I'll press play on a source clip that is linked then go to scroll down the notes page in safari and come back to avid and play head is a runaway train for about 3 minutes. Also, I don't have an AJA or any external monitoring device.

Avid 8.4.5 w/ Symphony x2 (1) iMac 2014 32gb Ram 4gb vram (2) Macbook Pro (just for writing not editing) (camera) Panasonic GH4 x2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 26 2016 12:02 AM In reply to

• Scotious
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 47
    • Points 515

Have you tried hitting the esc key? I've had similar issues on 7.0.4, OS 10.9.5, but this cures it every time.

• Thu, May 26 2016 6:26 PM In reply to

• will_RPS
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Jayson:

Yup I've been seeing this happen all week on 8.4 and possibly 8.5 but can't say for sure. It seems to happen with linked footage in particular especially when you press play and then move the mouse into a different screen. So for instance I have my notes open in safari on my 2nd monitor and Avid open on my iMac. I'll press play on a source clip that is linked then go to scroll down the notes page in safari and come back to avid and play head is a runaway train for about 3 minutes. Also, I don't have an AJA or any external monitoring device.

Interesting part about moving to a different screen...this setup has two Apple Thunderbolt Displays. And that makes me think of a different unrelated bug where when a dialogue box popped up, the user had to click the window and move it a bit in order to gain control.

I'm starting to think it may not be IO related. We've done another uninstall / reinstall, removed all site and user settings. We're using a Wacom with the latest driver, but I haven't tested sans-Wacom...that will be the next test (if I can get an editor to agree to edit that way haha).

• Thu, May 26 2016 6:29 PM In reply to

• will_RPS
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Scotious:

Have you tried hitting the esc key? I've had similar issues on 7.0.4, OS 10.9.5, but this cures it every time.

At first I laughed at the simplicity of this, but then I thought about it, and every time the playhead has run we've resorted to mashing the keyboard like an animal ;) But alas we tried, and ESC doesn't seem to release it.

I'm not sure if I'm happy or upset that others are seeing this in different versions of both MC and OS X. I hadn't been able to find much on this forum or Google about the issue, but it seems it might be more wide-spread than I originally thought. Might be time to open a case with Avid support.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller