Latest post Fri, Sep 21 2018 1:13 AM by BarkinMadd. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 7 2016 2:06 PM

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 577
    • Points 7,375

Fusion 8.1 (free) with Avid Connect officially supported

Just noticed that Fusion has been updated today to version 8.1 (along with Avid Connect 8.1) and Blackmagic are officially saying that the free version works with the Avid Connect plugin.

Make sure you also download the latest Fusion manual which now has a whole chapter devoted to using the plugin.

Happy days for all of us looking for a way of producing decent VFX within Avid at minimum cost!

Bruno

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 7 2016 2:31 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,430
    • Points 41,355

Re: Fusion 8.1 (free) with Avid Connect officially supported

Thanks for the heads up.

What is still not clear is whether someone who has NOT purchased the new Avid IO (rebranded Blackmagic box) can get and use the Avid Connect 8.1 plugin.

Looking at the readme file for the FREE version of Fusion 8.1, it says the following:

-- Fusion Connect for AVID Artist | DNxIO

Looking at the readme file for the PAID version of Fusion 8.1, it says the following:

-- Fusion Connect

This issue is still very confused in my opinion.  The Fusion Connect referenced in the paid version could just be referring to integration with Resolve which is doing something similar.  Or not.

Thanks,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Tue, Jun 7 2016 3:03 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 577
    • Points 7,375

Jef,

I had the previous version (version 8.0) working with the plugin without the Avid hardware. There were a few bugs, such as the AVX plugin script not automatically loading the generated Fusion composition as the current comp, but everything else pretty much worked as expected.

If you look at the requirements in the Fusion manual, it makes no mention of the DNxIO hardware, so unless anything has changed since version 8.0 I imagine it will still be the case that you don't need the Avid IO box.

Why Avid make it seem that the inclusion of the plugin requires their hardware is beyond me, but I'm going to try the new version in the next few days, so I'll report back if there's any change from the previous version.

Bruno

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 7 2016 4:31 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,148
    • Points 13,005

Not immediately apparent - but you have to go to https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/family/davinci-resolve-and-fusion to download Fusion Connect (which is the AVX2 plugin)

• Tue, Jun 7 2016 4:54 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,280
    • Points 219,110
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

jef:

Thanks for the heads up.

What is still not clear is whether someone who has NOT purchased the new Avid IO (rebranded Blackmagic box) can get and use the Avid Connect 8.1 plugin.

Looking at the readme file for the FREE version of Fusion 8.1, it says the following:

-- Fusion Connect for AVID Artist | DNxIO

Looking at the readme file for the PAID version of Fusion 8.1, it says the following:

-- Fusion Connect

This issue is still very confused in my opinion.  The Fusion Connect referenced in the paid version could just be referring to integration with Resolve which is doing something similar.  Or not.

Thanks,

Jef

Jef

Let me get you the straight scoop.

stand by

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Jun 7 2016 5:57 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,280
    • Points 219,110
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Got the scoop.......

Product Management says........

The free version only enables the Edit Connect for Avid if you’re using the Avid DNxIO.  If you want to use Edit Connect without the DNxIO, you need to buy Fusion.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Jun 7 2016 6:28 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 577
    • Points 7,375

Marianna:

The free version only enables the Edit Connect for Avid if you’re using the Avid DNxIO.  If you want to use Edit Connect without the DNxIO, you need to buy Fusion.

This is definitely a change from version 8.0 which DID work with the free version of Fusion and the Edit Connection plugin. To be clear, I had it working with Fusion 8.0, Avid Connection 8.0, MC 8.5.2, NO Avid DNxIO hardware and no Fusion dongle (ie. the paid version).

This also seems to go against Blackmagic's own news release (see 'Latest News' on their support page) where you will find the following....

"Fusion 8.1 Update! Adds Fusion Connect for Avid so you can create VFX and motion graphics from your Avid timeline for free! Download now!"

Bruno

• Tue, Jun 7 2016 6:28 PM In reply to

Marianna:
    Got the scoop.......
    Darn   that just spoiled what was shaping up to be a great morning.

• Tue, Jun 7 2016 7:04 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,148
    • Points 13,005

Yep - BM forum has post from BM staffer saying:

"Fusion 8.1 is now released.

This version introduces Fusion Connect for Avid MC on MAC OSX as well as Windows.
    Fusion Connect will work with the free version of Fusion and Avid MC with the Artist DNxIO box

and also work in Fusion Studio."

I've tried it and it will export frames for Fusion. 'edit effect' opens fusion but no comp is loaded. However comp does exist in ~\FusionConnect\Avid Project Name\Sequence Name\Clip Name.comp

I did manage to open up a comp, apply a simple colour corrector and then render in fusion and it showed up in Avid. Changing and re-rendering showed the frames updating in Avid as they progressed - so it works, after a fashion, without Studio or DNxIO

• Tue, Jun 7 2016 8:36 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 19 2010
    • Posts 432
    • Points 4,660

TrevorA:
    it works, after a fashion, without Studio or DNxIO

Perhaps that's the distinction. Works with DNxIO; works awkwardly without.

MC 8.7.2. HP Z400, Xeon W3580, 24GB ECC RAM, BMD Decklink Studio 4K, Desktop Video 10.3, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 7 2016 9:14 PM In reply to

Mark:
    works awkwardly without.
    That is the way it has worked with PC's from day one BM took over Fusion.
    Mark:
    Works with DNxIO
    Supposedly from the day DNxI0 was released but seems finally they MAY have it sorted.

The BM news release and support site are deliberately misleading by omitting the DNxIO qualifier for Fusion. There is actually nothing new in this release of Connect EXCEPT it is now supposedly to be working with Mac OS.  

VERY disappointing that Avid failed to negotiate a deal at least equivalent to the Lightworks deal for MC users from day one, when it was suggested to them!! Then only managed (or deliberately setup) the pathetically restrictive DNxIO dongle deal.

• Tue, Jun 7 2016 10:28 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,430
    • Points 41,355

Marianna:

Got the scoop.......

Marianna

Thanks for the clarification Marianna.  Appreciated!

Cheers,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, Sep 20 2018 10:54 PM In reply to

• Jailer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Medellin
    • Posts 250
    • Points 3,145

Hello Marianna, for many years I have been a Boris Red user but version 5.5 is obsolete. Do you know what difference there is between Fusion 9 Studio and Davinci Resolve Studio? Both versions of Fusion are identical? Is there any difference in performance of one version or another?

Thanks for your answer or for one of our friends.

Two systems with Media Composer 7.0 on iMac. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 21 2018 1:13 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,627
    • Points 60,455

If you purchase Fusion Studio apparently you can also run Resolve Studio with the same license. Fusion Studio is more powerful than the version of Fusion within Resolve (at least at present with Resolve 15.1). You can always head over to BMD for more info and ask users on their forum if you have any product questions. 

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.12.1 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller