Latest post Mon, Aug 1 2016 1:54 PM by Igor. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 1 2016 10:15 AM

• Igor
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 9 2009
    • Posts 47
    • Points 430

Film footage 24p in HD 50i project

Hello.

I have read a similar forum thread. But I just wanted to clarify about my case. At the entrance I have 2K 24p footage, which need be used within HD 50i project for TV. Now I went by the way of use the console command "IgnoreQTrate True" to direct import(not AMA&Transcode) 2K QTref in 25p project. I was afraid to import it directly into 50i, assuming that each frame can be seen as a separate field. For I the right way, colleagues?

HP Z8 G4 Workstation, Win10prox64bit, Avid MC on Blackmagic DeckLink Studio 4K, Nvidia Quadro P5000, RAM 64 GB. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 1 2016 11:03 AM In reply to

Re: Film footage 24p in HD 50i project

I'd have AMA linked the footage (to allow frame flex to crop off the unwanted edge pixels) and then set the playback frame rate in the source settings to be project (25fps) rather than source 24fps. Avid will play frame for frame and spped up the audio to match (a pitch shift will be needed if pitch is important) Much easier.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Aug 1 2016 11:41 AM In reply to

• Igor
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 47
    • Points 430

Pat, You mean to leave stuff attached using the AMA, without making any import or transcode?
    Something like that
    I am now found here.
    However, the question remains the performance to work with 2k footage through the AMA in
    project HD 50i ...

By the way, can you suggest an easy way to transcode high quality sound from 24p footage to 25p at Windows platform?

UPD. When we work with the AMA, it can not be transferred of the linked footage & sound in AAF format for the project participants of the working group.

HP Z8 G4 Workstation, Win10prox64bit, Avid MC on Blackmagic DeckLink Studio 4K, Nvidia Quadro P5000, RAM 64 GB. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 1 2016 1:54 PM In reply to

• Igor
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 47
    • Points 430

And now, after the import in a few hours, I got half of the image in the frame. However, the frame interpolation was markedly better than in the case of through AMA

UPD. This is where I made a mistake and imported footage in 50i project, which led to cut off part of the frame. Then I repeated imports with 25p setting and get best results.

UPD.2 Also, I tried to transcode 24p to 25p in Sorenson Squeeze (to MXF). Then I move it to Avid MediaFiles (in new subfolder) and opened in project using the Media Tool. As a result, transcoded in Squeeze footage has a jagged motion with periodic freeze frames. Thus, I came to the conclusion that the best way to transfer 24p to 25p is an import with the console command "IgnoreQTrate 1"(24p->QTref->25p import after "IgnoreQTrate 1" command[->IgnoreQTrate 0])

UPD.3 About the sound. I tried it to transcode in Sound Forge. However, I got out of sync with the imported footage (maybe I made a mistake with the calculations?). And I had to ask a colleague to prepare the sound  in Pro Tools. The result was a success.

P.S> Of course, it is not necessary to dawn scale the film resolution to HD. In the new versions of Avid MC support higher resolution works well. 2K 24p->2K 25p.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller