Latest post Tue, Sep 13 2016 8:54 AM by usatraveler. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 30 2016 10:48 PM

• JuanJuig
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 30 2016
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

SubCap subtitles altering the picture??

Hello, I have encountered a very frustrating problem. When I try exporting my project which also contains subtitles made with SubCap, the subtitles affect the picture. Every time an individual subtitle is displayed, the whole picture becomes a bit brighter, and when the subtitle dissapears, picture goes back to normal.

What is this all about? How do I fix this?? I am using Avid 7.

• Wed, Sep 7 2016 1:25 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Re: SubCap subtitles altering the picture??

Are you using a monitor or TV which adapts the brightness level to the picture content?

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Wed, Sep 7 2016 3:11 AM In reply to

Mac or Windows?  What codec is your media, and what is your render codec?

I've found that when you have DNxHD media overlaying (or being overlaid by) a format that's handled by an Apple-provided QuickTime component when it's viewed outside of Avid (such as ProRes, or Apple's implementation of XDCam), then when you view the results OUTSIDE of Avid (such as QuickTime), then you'll see this issue.  It always looks fine in your timeline.

As a result of Apple's mishandling of color, I either stay ALL in DNxHD/DNxHR for everything, OR if I'm using XDCam or ProRes media, I make sure my render codec is ProRes.

Alternatively, if you do a mixdown, and export with that, then it should look fine.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.5 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 10 2016 11:50 AM In reply to

• JuanJuig
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

smyers63:

Are you using a monitor or TV which adapts the brightness level to the picture content?

No, I am not.

• Sat, Sep 10 2016 11:53 AM In reply to

• JuanJuig
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

usatraveler:

Mac or Windows?  What codec is your media, and what is your render codec?

I've found that when you have DNxHD media overlaying (or being overlaid by) a format that's handled by an Apple-provided QuickTime component when it's viewed outside of Avid (such as ProRes, or Apple's implementation of XDCam), then when you view the results OUTSIDE of Avid (such as QuickTime), then you'll see this issue.  It always looks fine in your timeline.

As a result of Apple's mishandling of color, I either stay ALL in DNxHD/DNxHR for everything, OR if I'm using XDCam or ProRes media, I make sure my render codec is ProRes.

Alternatively, if you do a mixdown, and export with that, then it should look fine.

Windows. My media codec is DNxHD 185. I solved the issue by exporting Same as source, which resulted in DNxHD 185 file without the problem that occured before. Creating a mixdown would probably do the job as well. Although the source is AMA linked so the mixdown is not an option? Thank you for your reply.

• Tue, Sep 13 2016 8:54 AM In reply to

What codec is the original linked media, and what is your render codec?

You can always mixdown - no matter what's in your timeline, linked or not.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.5 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller