Latest post Tue, Sep 20 2016 6:18 PM by smyers63. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Sep 17 2016 7:16 PM

Running Media Composer on an Asus ZenBook Pro display problems

Hi Everyone!

My Dell laptop gave up the ghost a few weeks ago so I bartered with a client and got an Asus ZenBook Pro UX501VW-DS71T Signature Series machine. 

Specs:

Intel Quad Core i7-6700HQ 2.6 - 3.5GHz

16Gb RAM

nVidia GeForce GTX 960M & Intel HD Graphics 530

15.6" 4k Touch screen

Samsung MZVPV512 Solid State drive

Windows 10 Home

The problem is none of the boxes and screens in Media Composer show correctly. Everything is tiny and the text bars are cutting off the words. I read that I need to use the 344.75 driver and tried it, but nothing changed. I tried turning off the nVidia card (I think I read that it's an unsupported card) and tried it with the Intel HD card and still the same problem. Media Composer 8.4.4 is the only software I'm having complications with. Pro Tools and the Adobe Master Collection CS6 run as expected.

Any insight you all can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Machine 1: Custom 3.3GHz Intel Xeon E31245 QuadCore (8 threads, HyperThreading enabled) 16GB RAM (1666MHz) (set to 1600mHz) 2TB 7200rpm system drive (1... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 18 2016 4:05 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,572
    • Points 45,875
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Running Media Composer on an Asus ZenBook Pro display problems

MC does not display correctly at 4K. This is a known problem. Set your display for HD and then run MC.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sun, Sep 18 2016 4:11 PM In reply to

Thanks for your reply, DStone. I will do as advised and hopefully that will resolve my issue. Truthfully, I am starting to regret the ZenBook purchase. Paid almost $1,700 for it and they have the nerve to charge $45 for the recovery media. Thanks again!

Machine 1: Custom 3.3GHz Intel Xeon E31245 QuadCore (8 threads, HyperThreading enabled) 16GB RAM (1666MHz) (set to 1600mHz) 2TB 7200rpm system drive (1... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 19 2016 12:09 AM In reply to

Here is an update on this issue for those of you who it might help out. Been on this all day...

What I had to do is, like DStone recommended (Thanks again!) you have to bring the resolution down to HD (1920x1080). The catch is, with this particular system, you have to also click on "Make text and other items larger or smaller", click on "set a custom scaling level," and enter a custom scaling percentage of 150%.

This sets the display to "normal" size according to the inches on a ruler. I was just about ready to uninstall Media Composer and decided to try one more time and when I did as described and loaded MC, it now looks "normal" to me.

Hope it helps!

• Mon, Sep 19 2016 2:01 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Larry Smiley-El:
    Truthfully, I am starting to regret the ZenBook purchase. Paid almost $1,700 for it and they have the nerve to charge $45 for the recovery media. Thanks again!

Of the computers I've bought with preinstalled OS, all have had the means built-in to create recovery media.  They even kept reminding me to create the media.  In those cases, you have to use your own blank discs but those wouldn't amount to $45.  A few dollars and the time needed and you have your recovery discs.

Can you not do that on yours?  If this is in the US, I have a feeling that it may be a requirement that you are either given the discs initially or given the ability to create your own recovery media.  Being given discs went out years ago so it's now left up to the user to create the media.  You should investigate that and see if it's not the case that you can make the discs on your own.

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Mon, Sep 19 2016 11:20 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 481
    • Points 5,755

since win 7 you usually you can download isos

win 10 currently needs a tool

win vista was most amazing ever: no installation media. pirate disc + own key was the only way for me in some cases, and i really tried ;)

current installation media might be useless in 4 years. because: 10.000 updates.

i'd read the installation key of your win10, store it safeley & be done with it.

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 20 2016 4:16 PM In reply to

I was told the recovery media was on a hidden partition but there aren't any hidden partitions on my system. The agent alluded to the idea that I have erased the hard drive and therefore the recovery media. I haven't. Before I do that, and I most certainly do do it because I know how I want my system and know how to do it, what I do is make sure I can revert back to factory in worst case scenarios. SO, I demonstrated to the agent that I had revealed all hidden files and partitions and that there wasn't any recovery media on the system and he told me it must have been deleted. And BTW, this system comes sans CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive. The system has never reminded me to locate the .ios file and save it somewhere safe. No auxiliary storage device was supplied in the box with the media on it. Normally, the media would be on the hard drive somewhere but in this case it is not on the system.

All that said, I am impressed with the system resources. For a laptop it has exceptional power and versatility. I really didn't get the system to edit on. I really just wanted to at the least build rough-cuts on the spot. What I got the system for is to do multicam capture/ switching in live streaming situations. The switcher software's listed specs are exceptionally exceeded with the ZenBook Pro. I still have some peripherals coming before I'll know for sure if this system will do what I need it to. If not, it's going back.

• Tue, Sep 20 2016 5:40 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485

Have you looked at the user manual?

I just read the section on recovery.  It's built-into the W10 system on the machine and gives you the option of keeping your programs and files or going back to the factory state.  So, you'll lose the preinstalled software if you erase/format the SSD unless you buy that recovery media.  Don't expect to be able to find the recovery data on the SSD.  It's not necessarily something you'd find.  It's probably not stored in the way you'd expect.

As far as getting a copy of W10 goes, you could download it free from Microsoft but from what I see in the manual, it's not necessary.  Just be sure you keep a copy of your license key so you can activate Windows if you do decide to format the drive.  The key could be on the bottom of the machine or listed in the System control panel.

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Tue, Sep 20 2016 6:01 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 481
    • Points 5,755

in the event of harddrive failure u're stranded even with hidden partition.

knowing your key is a cure-all

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 20 2016 6:18 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485

Lukas Boeck:

in the event of harddrive failure u're stranded even with hidden partition.

knowing your key is a cure-all

No, you're not stranded.  If you can make media from the recovery data on a machine, do it long before the drive has any chance to fail - like within the first few days owning the machine.  If you can't make your own media as in this case, get the media from the manufacturer if you want to have the preinstalled software.  Other than that, image the drive with a 3rd-party utility.  If you don't want all the preinstalled software, W10 has been and is still as far as I know a free download from Microsoft.  In a case like Larry's here, attach an external optical drive or hard drive and reinstall whatever you like from there.  Just keep optical discs or external hard drives with copies of whatever you need for a reinstallation.

Always keep a copy of the key(s) safely somewhere.  It's not a cure-all if you don't have copies of what you need to reinstall but it's required to activate your OS and programs again once you have reinstalled them onto a new drive.

Scott

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller