Latest post Tue, Oct 11 2016 6:31 AM by Kasparoff. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 10 2016 2:31 AM

• Kasparoff
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 22 2015
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

Failed to relink sound (AMA) after transferring from FCP7

Hello, Avid community!

I hope it's forgivable if i just repost here my qyestion from another forum? It's very important to me to find a solution as soon as is possible Confused

In short: i'm getting trouble with relinking sound in a feature film after transferring sequences from FCP7.
    And i'll be happy as previously (before this project come to my life) if only you could help me in my investigation, please (+sorry for my english).

In details:

The studio works in FCP7 and the director works in MC, and i'm the One : ) a matchmaker for them : ) but i'm definitely not! I told them it would be the way of struggles, pain and suffering, but they don't want to do their work another way. So i need to bring arranged sequences from FCP to Avid and after directors cut bring it back again.

Previously my successful test in Avid was:
    1. import AAF (straight from FCP7 by Automatic Duck or transferring XML-AAF in Resolve) and get offline sequence;
    2. load AMA-media in another Bin;
    3. choose the offline sequence and "relink to selected items in all open bins"

But relinking was only possible in two phase:
    I - select all Video clips in the Bin and relink by Format;
    II - than select all Audio clips in the Bin and relink by Audio SR.

Any other "relink by" options in the right column did't work at all (message: "No clips were relinked")

And i was happy to see online sequence! 

Than i edited some clips, export AAF and import to FCP7 (by Automatic Duck again and by Resolve for testing).
    I repeated it several times and it was always smoothly.

But it was yesterday.

Now i get the whole project and was thinking that no problem will see anymore...
    I just did the same with all other sequences... and as previously i get relink Video, but can't relink Audio anymore...
    "No clips were relinked" said me the unworthy message. 

I came back to my testing project - it's online and healthy.
    And i started new bin, imported the same testing sequence from FCP with the same media on the same disk - and i can't relink it!

I don't know is it matter, but there are some mess with logging info in the Bin: "Tracks" column in the testing Bin shows A1,3-4 for Audio, but in new Bins for the same AMA media the "Tracks" column shows only A1.

So, it looks like something wrong with metadata? Or could be a merged clips in the sequence (sinchronised in FCP Video+Audio) makes Avid confused. Or is it me loading media in a wrong way? 

Help, please, someone)

I'm on Avid MC 8.4.5 on a MacOS 10.11 or Avid MC 7.xx on a Windows7

• Mon, Oct 10 2016 3:05 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Re: Failed to relink sound (AMA) after transferring from FCP7

In your test project the audio is separate from the video. Is it the same in your online project (if not then it is not a valid test)? Are the clips the same sample rate? Sample rate is a really strange way to relink. I would try some other more unique form of metadata. 

Not worked in FCP for years but if you can try assigning a unique tape name to each individual audio clip before exporting and then relink by tape name in Avid. Also examine carefully the offline audio clips in the sequence. Usually relink by name will work if you specify the *Target is different from the original and if you tell it to ignore extension and any characters that differ from the original.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Mon, Oct 10 2016 5:33 AM In reply to

• Kasparoff
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

Thanks for atention, John!

- In your test project the audio is separate from the video. Is it the same in your online project

Test sequence and working sequence are the same except clip numbers. In FCP sequense audio linked to video, Resolve see it as linked together too, but MC after relinking see it as separated. But it's not a big deal for me. I was happy just to see that it could be relinked at all.. for a while. But now it couldn't again)

Are the clips the same sample rate? Sample rate is a really strange way to relink...

Yes for all : )) But i have other logging info there too (i thought it's most important one) – the Source Path & Source File. And they are the same for AMA files that i bring to the new Bin:

Bin AMA

and the same for Referenced clips wich are in the sequence's Bin:

- ...try assigning (in FCP) a unique tape name to each individual audio clip before exporting and then relink by tape name in Avid

So do i need to log one more info (as a Tape or something), if even Source Path & Source File info isn't enough for relinking sequence?

• Tue, Oct 11 2016 5:17 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Kasparoff:

Bin AMA

and the same for Referenced clips wich are in the sequence's Bin:

- ...try assigning (in FCP) a unique tape name to each individual audio clip before exporting and then relink by tape name in Avid

So do i need to log one more info (as a Tape or something), if even Source Path & Source File info isn't enough for relinking sequence?

So looking at the two bins linking by file name won't work because lots of your clip names are identical. It would have been much better if FCP had labelled them with the original file names. The "merged part" is what is killing it. Whats more FCP has replaced the "-" with an "_" meaning whatever you do the names aren't going to match. Your source file metadata looks identical so I'd link by that, - top part of window - selected items in all open bins, middle part of the relink window choose target (if different from original) and choose source file (as that is unique for every file). In the bottom section in tracks to relink uncheck video in case this is upsetting everything. Make sure you try to relink the sequence and not individual clips.

If that doesn't work then the tape name trick is usually a sure fire method. Unfortunately you cannot tell Avid to ignore timecode so if that is different in source and target (can't see from what you have displayed there) then you may have to use another trick like auxilliary timecode.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Tue, Oct 11 2016 6:31 AM In reply to

• Kasparoff
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

- source file metadata looks identical so I'd link by that

Yep, exactly what i've tried to do as you described, because i've tried any "relink by" method and nothing working for me : (

And now i have a news - today i get a windows machine with MC7 and for the time being it relinks sequences smoothly as previosly in my test on a mac. And this is absolutely odd, because there are the same actions with the same AAF and the same media.

But this isn't the end of this thread) Because after windows avid i need to come back to the mac avid))

I'm thinking about what you said, John, a Tape name column, and even after reading some threads here and at creativecow about it i can't realise why it could be better then the Source name, but ok i'll try this after doing the maximum i can on that windows avid.

Thanks again for your attention, John!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller