Latest post Sun, Dec 11 2016 4:41 PM by mark.burton. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 27 2016 9:13 PM

Avid Acquires Exclusive Licensing Rights to Nexidia's Award-winning Technology for the Media and Entertainment Market

Specifics to follow in December ... 

Avid Aquires Nexidia

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Oct 27 2016 9:19 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Minneapolis MN
    • Posts 2,161
    • Points 23,185

Re: Avid Acquires Exclusive Licensing Rights to Nexidia's Award-winning Technology for the Media and Entertainment Market

Nice!!!!

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Fri, Oct 28 2016 1:03 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,254
    • Points 30,475

Re: Avid Acquires Exclusive Licensing Rights to Nexidia's Award-winning Technology for the Media and Entertainment Market

"Avid Acquires Exclusive Licensing Rights"

Not the company itself.  I find it interesting that Nexidia would go exclusive with Avid.  While PF and SS are very cool tools, the are for a niche of editors.  Why would you limit yoruself to just one company and one platform?

And if you are claiming PF and SS will create "higher quality content", I would be you have never been on a production or in post.

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Fri, Oct 28 2016 3:37 PM In reply to

switthaus:
    And if you are claiming PF and SS will create "higher quality content", I would be you have never been on a production or in post.

What do you mean?

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 28 2016 3:42 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,254
    • Points 30,475

High quality content is not made by a tool within a tool.  It's the concept driven through the process.  What this seems to suggest is that PF and SS will make better content.  I am not sure PF and SS will make a lousy idea or concept better.

Scott Witthaus

• Fri, Oct 28 2016 3:55 PM In reply to

I think its just marketing. It is like when BM was touting 10bit SDI, Apple with Magnetic Timeline, Adobe with Mercury Engine, etc. etc.

At the end of the day, if the post team thinks it is necessary (and we have a lot of clients who believe that with SS and PF) then one can argue it at least makes their workflow better.

But it is just marketing. You might as well call out every ad that has ever been produced.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 28 2016 5:28 PM In reply to

• briMestone
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 18 2005
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 140
    • Points 1,570

switthaus:

This is the single reason my 30 Avid MC suites are still running version 7. ScriptSync is huge! 

6 ISIS5000 split in two environments, 25 MC7+SYM NitrisDX, MacPro3,1 MacPro4,1 [view my complete system specs]

------

Ted Simbajon
    http://www.tedsimbajon.com

Head Janitor

• Fri, Oct 28 2016 8:12 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 730
    • Points 11,135

switthaus:

To play devil's advocate on the forum, I believe that sometimes, time can be the same thing as higher quality content. If you save time using these add-ons, then the final product can be of higher quality (time resources spent on other artistic efforts).

But you're right - marketing jargon really.

Media Composer version: usually newest release, or 1 behind. Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock GA 1151 Z370 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Fri, Oct 28 2016 9:10 PM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Port McNeill, B.C., Canada
    • Posts 1,580
    • Points 19,995

Atomike:
    To play devil's advocate on the forum, I believe that sometimes, time can be the same thing as higher quality content.
    .....Hi Atomike: Yup ! I would argue you can't really get quality without time, so anything that can save you some to use in that persuit would be a good thing.

I'm no stock market mavin, but the side bar trading information had some telling info in it. AVID trading @ $6.76 US a share, and a company capitolization @ $269.19 Million US. Is this not a considerably healthier position for the ccompany than it was back about 2 years ago ? Looks like Avid is going strong and is sticking around to me (??) The last time I was on any serious and long threads in this forum, folks were discussing the company's demise and claiming it has been left behind in the NLE Technology development game. Doesn't look and feel that way to us. Media Composer is a mature product coming into its stride from what we can see up here at the tip of Vancouver Island ? Once you do get MC properly configured and your config backed up. then it's bullet proof !

My HP Avid approved hardware is 6 plus years old now, and still pumping out paying projects. Who can possibly complain about that ?

However, I would like to see MC be taken in the direction of multi-layer absolute realtime performance for all and vberything - Even if it's installed on a laptop or MacBook Pro Yes Look at my system specs. We're still cutting one hour timelines on Core 2 Duo and 4 Gigs of DDR 3 RAM on the old HP laptop PC and exact same Core 2 Duo CPU wit 8 Gigs of RAM on the old 2009 iMAC connected now to our old but good HD Adrenaline I/O box YesYes.

I dred upgrading and avoid it like the plague ! Why upgrade if your system works for you and makes you money ? Maybe because if you did upgrade, then it would make you more money ? Well, maybe ? Fors us, upgrading comes only from some kind of customer or quality imperitive.

i.e. Customer shoots big bucks project, or comes to us to shoot big bucks project (Better !) and edit in spectacular Ultra HD or Cinema 4K spec (Yet to happen but we're sure that's coming). We can't edit 4K on our systems (Or can we if it's down rezed to HD and then done as an off line/online workflow ? I'll have to test that one out here), therefore, we must go new iMAC 27 inch and latest MC and ultra Thunderbolt Raid Array drives. (We use extra partion on system drives or external FireWire 400, or even our USB 2 external 7200 RPM drive (9 years old !)

As long as broadcast spec still calls for *Interlaced 1920 x 1080 59.94 Hz HD, then why bother upgrading to anything ? 4K future proofs. Really ? What if the final destination is 8K Ultra, Ultra HD for broadcast ? NHK Network is testing and finalizing 8K broadcast standards now, as it did in the early days of the development of our current HD broadcast standards. 2K, 2.5K, and 4K are just stops along the road and a general waste of time and money IMHO.

Avid is trying to expany and innovate with technology acquisition. I see this as a good thing. It also sends the signal the company is moving forward and who doesn't want them to do that ?

Pondering while rendering (Shouldn't be necessary to render anymore)

Mark Job

Now Newer Avid Certified MacBook Pro version 8.3 early 2011 with Core i7 (2720 QM) Quad 2.2 GHz CPU with a 6 MB Shared L3 Cache , 4 GB of DDR 3 - 1333... [view my complete system specs]

The thing is don't peak too early in life. 

• Fri, Oct 28 2016 10:54 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,254
    • Points 30,475

Laptopeditor:
    Is this not a considerably healthier position for the ccompany than it was back about 2 years ago ?

This price represents a 30% drop from as recently as August.  So no, I don't think anyone with Avid stock (or the suits with the big stock options) are cheering this stock price.

PF and SS are great tools, but they are simply tools that were once there and now added back.  Not going to move the needle much for Avid, IMHO.

Scott Witthaus

• Fri, Oct 28 2016 11:25 PM In reply to

switthaus:
    Not going to move the needle much for Avid, IMHO.

I know at least it won't move it down. Several productions I know have tried Premiere and Boris speech based offerings as a path to a non ScriptSync Avid future.

• Sat, Oct 29 2016 2:41 AM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Port McNeill, B.C., Canada
    • Posts 1,580
    • Points 19,995

switthaus:
    This price represents a 30% drop from as recently as August.
    ...Hi switthaus: Oh ! Gosh ! 30 % you wrote ! Sad Crappers man ! Well, Avid seems to be making some moves in the market place now. I sure hope they will do some big innovations and tweaks to MC. I would love to see them fully leverage all nVidia CUDA Quaddro has to offer and make MC a totally and fully realtime - non rendering (Unless you want to) application. Premiere seems to be heading fully in that direction these days.

I still think Avid needs to bring back an old idea they abandoned called "The Studio Toolkit." Imagine if you could buy a pluggin kit, which would work with even older 6x and 7x MC families, which could give you realtime DVD/Blu-ray authoring, 3D Effects, Boris CC, Web Encoding and pumps up MC to a fully configurable 4K realtime application ? I mean let's do away completely with the need to have to render complex timelines before they can be output. Some folks may already have something approaching this anyway with the right Quaddro GPU/Output box combination from Matrox or Motou ? Price it around $2,500.00 US and include the necessary Quaddro card and an approved list of PC and MAC Pro's it will run on. Hardware rendering MPEG,VC1, and H264/265 boards have been around for a few years with 4K realtime encode/transcode/output capability. Why not MC ?

Just more pondering while rendering,

Mark

Now Newer Avid Certified MacBook Pro version 8.3 early 2011 with Core i7 (2720 QM) Quad 2.2 GHz CPU with a 6 MB Shared L3 Cache , 4 GB of DDR 3 - 1333... [view my complete system specs]

The thing is don't peak too early in life. 

• Sat, Oct 29 2016 4:36 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,405
    • Points 41,095

Well, we do not know what the real dollar impact of this deal will be for us users.

Will we go back to an add on cost for these features?  Will they be rolled into the core product with an attendent price increase?

That feature set went away for money reasons most likely.  And getting it back can not have been cheap.  Someone will have to pay.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Tue, Nov 1 2016 6:01 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,567
    • Points 45,800
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

jef:
    Someone will have to pay.
    Ah, but will that be us? If you read the release, it's not just that we get to use the technology in MC. It gives Avid the development and commercial rights to the technology. In other words, Avid can sell to 3rd parties (and in fact it says that they will continue to support 3rd party software). Which means some other media companies can fund the software. Wink

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Tue, Nov 1 2016 6:16 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,204
    • Points 218,090
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Folks

Product management is still working out the logistics so when I know, you will know.

I hope to have input as well.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller