Latest post Sun, Nov 13 2016 3:03 PM by robotx21. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Nov 12 2016 6:14 AM

• robotx21
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 17
    • Points 225

AMA / LINK issues with still images

I'm working on building an animatic from storyboard pro and working in Avid. Here is my current workflow:

- Export XML and JPG files from Storyboard pro

- Use FCP 7 to load XML and use Automatic Duck to generate an AAF.

- Import AAF into Avid and do a batch import.

- Now all my jpg files are DNXHD 115 MXF. Edit begins and completes.

In order to get the conform back into Storyboard Pro, I have to do the following:

- Generate an AAF, import AAF into Premiere, use premiere to export XML. 

- Now, an AAF when the timeline is referencing MXF media doesn't work at all when importing the AAF into premiere, as it only references the MXF files not the source JPG files.

- To fix this, I create a new bin, and import the JPG files as an AMA / LINK. Here is where the problem comes in:

Not all the files are linking properly. You can confirm what I am seeing in the following scenario. Create a few JPG files. 2 or 3. Then do a COPY and PASTE to create new files. Do this a few times (I did it until I had over 1000 JPG files). Now attempt to LINK to the 1000 JPG files in a bin. Make sure you have SOURCE FILE name showing in the bin during LINK. You will see one clip import and the one clip keeps updating with the later copy versions. This is basically what I am seeing when I have a v1 or v2 of a specific panel and need to import via AMA / LINK. This is a HUGE problem as it makes it *** near impossible to import ALL my JPEG files correctly. 

I have been able to brute force the AMA link for about 80% of the show, but then the system slows way down with all the AMA linking going on and I can't seem to get all versions in the bins.

Once the AMA link is complete, I can AAF to premiere, then XML to storyboard pro. Works great! Just need to get all these JPG files linked via ama!!!

I'm hoping I am doing something wrong...but this looks like a huge bug and it would help a lot if I can get this fixed. Thank you!!!

Avid Media Composer 8.6.3

Tested on Mac Pro 2013 and Macbook Pro 2013 under OS X 10.11.6

Late 2013 MacBook Pro OS X 10.3.4 High Sierra Media Composer 2018.5 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Sun, Nov 13 2016 3:03 PM In reply to

• robotx21
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 17
    • Points 225

Re: AMA / LINK issues with still images

So I ran some more tests today and found out it does the same thing with QT files doing the same method above. I created 1 quicktime MOV, duplicated it at the finder level about 40 times, then AMA linked to all of them expecting 40 ama linked qt files in my avid bin. NOPE! got one AMA link master clip, linking to only one of the QT mov. During the link/import process I see the filename of the master clip link change to the next clip then the next again. Can someone at avid confirm this behavior? Is this a bug? What does Avid look at if not file name for linking clips? It's almost as if it is looking at another piece of metadata that's the same across all these clips (since they are copies of one another) to link to. I wish it would link based on file name only. Let me know! Thanks!

Late 2013 MacBook Pro OS X 10.3.4 High Sierra Media Composer 2018.5 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller