Latest post Tue, May 15 2018 1:09 PM by Sly. 30 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (31 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 22 2016 8:19 PM

• C-King
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 6 2016
    • Posts 34
    • Points 500

"No media drives available" when attempting import

Hi-

MC 8.6.4, OSX 10.11.6 running on an 8-core trashcan Mac Pro. Media drive is a G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB RAID.

Can't import media, can only link. Trying to import gives the "No media drives available" message and will allow shot logs only.

Dragging to the bin works.

Linking is fine, previously imported media is fine, import settings are correct, drive filtering on or off makes no difference.

I can make the problem go away by quitting MC, unmounting the media drive, launching MC and then mounting the drive. It will then import correctly until the next relaunch. Kind of a pain.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Chyld King

Boston

MC 2018.3 on 8-Core trashcan Mac Pro, 32GB RAM, 10.11.6, G-RAID Studio XL TB2 RAID MC 2018.3 on tbMPB15, 16GB, 10.12.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 28 2016 7:09 PM In reply to

Re: "No media drives available" when attempting import

Is the drive Mac formatted?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Nov 28 2016 8:01 PM In reply to

• C-King
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 34
    • Points 500

Yes. Mac OS X Extended (Journaled).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Chyld

MC 2018.3 on 8-Core trashcan Mac Pro, 32GB RAM, 10.11.6, G-RAID Studio XL TB2 RAID MC 2018.3 on tbMPB15, 16GB, 10.12.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 29 2016 7:18 PM In reply to

I have seen the same thing with a G-Raid array. Very annoying and I don't think I found a proper solution. I could link to files on the G-Raid but not use it for rendering, transcodng or consolidating.

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.11.6 with Symphony 8.10., BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.12.5 with MC 8.10 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Wed, Nov 30 2016 2:10 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,620

I have a G-SPEED Studio R and it works perfectly. New user and settings? Check permissions? AllDrives 1?  Is it the same for all projects including a new one?  

Is the media database corrupt? Try trashing it. Could be a bad file in there as well that's causing the lockout. This seems most likely as Avid scans all the media directories and databases on startup. 

I'm on an earlier OS (Yosemite) and 8.6.1 so that might explain why I'm not experiencing problems.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Wed, Nov 30 2016 5:11 PM In reply to

• C-King
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 34
    • Points 500

I've rebuilt the databases to no effect. And unlike Roger, mine works fine for rendering and consolidating (have not tried transoding,) but will not allow me to import, unless i mount the drive after MC launches.

I suppose it could be an OS version thing, but I don't know.

Thanks for your input,

Chyld King

• Thu, Dec 1 2016 5:30 PM In reply to

• DSMaMa
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 29 2012
    • Posts 64
    • Points 765

i've experienced this before. Try going inside this folder 'HD/Users/Shared/AvidMediaComposer/"  and delete  AMA Management

• Thu, Dec 1 2016 7:04 PM In reply to

That's a solution for being unable to link to files but as a solution for no drives when importing or rendering? Interesting. Saw a student yesterday with the same issue with a simple USB3 external drive (not G anything).

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.11.6 with Symphony 8.10., BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.12.5 with MC 8.10 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Tue, Dec 6 2016 8:17 PM In reply to

• C-King
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 34
    • Points 500

I've done that before to deal with AMA problems, but since all my media is linked at this point, I'm hesitant to blow away my links. Have you addressed this actual problem (unable to import, still able to render and link) via this method?

Thanks,

Chyld King

• Tue, Dec 6 2016 8:23 PM In reply to

• DSMaMa
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 29 2012
    • Posts 64
    • Points 765

C-King:

I've done that before to deal with AMA problems, but since all my media is linked at this point, I'm hesitant to blow away my links. Have you addressed this actual problem (unable to import, still able to render and link) via this method?

Thanks,

Chyld King

If you're not comportable with deleting, you can just rename it. Yes this had worked for me in the past

• Fri, Jan 13 2017 3:04 PM In reply to

• Fedor
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 11 2017
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Hello,

my G-Speed drive is also not being recognized as a valid media drive. I tried almost everything except deleting the G-Speed RAID but I think that the issue lays with Avid, as the drive functions properly otherwise. I already contacted G-Technology and Avid Customer Care and had several remote sessions without a solution…

All these steps did not solve the problem:

tried with New User / New Project:

I tried creating a new user profile and new project. After I reset the site settings and AMA Management folder, the drive is recognized in a new project, but only if you start that project directly and not one that previously experienced the issue.

the 'alldrives' command has no effect

trashed AMA Management

trashed MC State

trashed media database and also tried with completely new created Avid MediaFiles Folder on the drive

fresh install of MC 8.6.4 

update to MC 8.6.5 / MC 8.7

installed newest AMA plugins / Red Giant Magic Bullet Suite Looks plugin

upgrade from OSX 10.11.6 to MacOS 12.1

created new OS X User

update G-speed firmware 

checked permissions on drive

resetting the PRAM and the SMC

Does anyone have a proposal for solution?

Thanks

Fedor

system specs:

Avid MC 8.7 with Symphony Option

Avid Nitris DX via Sonnet DX Thunderbolt Adapter

Apple Mac Pro 3,0 GHz 8-Core (64GB/512GB/D700)

MacOS 12.1

G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB RAID Level 6 / Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)

• Tue, Jan 17 2017 1:42 PM In reply to

I'd forgotten about this issue until you posted. I just checked with my own G-Raid array (striped with Mac Disk Utility) and everything appears normal (unlike when I posted earlier). The only thing that is different is that I've moved to MC 8.5.6 in the interim. No real solution to offer, sorry.

• Tue, Jan 17 2017 5:59 PM In reply to

• C-King
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 34
    • Points 500

I still have the same problem. It's incredibly frustrating.

I can make my G-Raid appear correctly as a media drive  if I quit Avid, unmount the drive, restart Avid, and then mount the drive while MC is running. It then seems to function correctly until I quit MC.

Importing is a small enough a part of my workflow at the moment that this has been workable, but I would really like to see it fixed. I use two other thunderbolt raids that do not have this problem, so is it GTech or Avid who needs to fix it? I fear it falls in the crack between them and so far nobody wants to own it.

Chyld

• Tue, Jan 17 2017 6:04 PM In reply to

How are these problem drives attached (through what interface)?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Jan 17 2017 6:11 PM In reply to

• C-King
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 34
    • Points 500

In my case, it's a G-Speed Studio XL 8-bay Thunderbolt RAID. Thunderbolt only!

Chyld

Page 1 of 3 (31 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller