Latest post Sun, Oct 15 2017 7:55 PM by Euchrow. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 28 2016 2:02 PM

• shchoona1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 10 2010
    • Posts 30
    • Points 485

loacation of media files

hi

how about to be able to put the media filer were we want and not only on the root folder but also in subfolder

• Tue, Nov 29 2016 7:53 AM In reply to

Re: loacation of media files

That has been mentioned before. But how would MC know where to look for media files?

It can't scan everywhere. So having fixed locations to look ensures that MC can always find avid media files on any system. Thats part of what makes MC not FCP.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Tue, Nov 29 2016 10:16 AM In reply to

• shchoona1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 485

in other programes you can choose were you ant to put it

and altghou i an avid fan and long time user i still think that this is somthing that needs to be improved.... also that what makes everyone have to work with nich vendors like  editshare and other if they want to work on network  wich cost a lot of mony and makes it all less flixeble
  • Tue, Nov 29 2016 12:04 PM In reply to

Thats ok while you are the only one working with the media. But what about in a shared environment?

Or if your system crashes and you have to unpick what remians.

With the structured media locations I can access media from any Avid in a support situation.

In the old FCP days I would be hunting high and low to find where media was stored. And jobs brought in often had missing media because the editor had scattered it around.

Allowing Project based segregation within the Avid MediaFiles folder would be a good idea but I can live with fixed locations.

On a PC there are various tricks Post houses use to map folders to drives to create fake Avid locations.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Tue, Nov 29 2016 12:33 PM In reply to

• shchoona1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 485

i think u are missing the  point....

while all of your answers are good still there is this problom that i have to but somthing like unity/editshre/strwaberry alll these things costs a lot of mony....

maaping a folder to a drive is not a proper solution for a lot of reasons.

in every other program it works fine i am sure that avid can provide a way to do it and if i might add 

a much better one than all of the other vendors.

lets use a real life example : lets say that i have an emc isilon storage which clearley is good for video 

no i have to buy either strwaberry by flavoursys of mxf server or just anouther storage like unity spending a lot of mony for no good reason.

• Tue, Nov 29 2016 2:59 PM In reply to

Indiestor MIMIQ will allow any server volume to appear as Avid storage, to the computer you install MIMIQ on:

http://indiestor.com/product/mimiq/

That said - Avid's hardware, and that of all those other vendors like Editshare, Facilis, SNS, and of course Avid NEXIS, is purpose-built for stable editing performance, and is backed by their tech support teams for optimal performance in mission-critical situations.  I use MIMIQ for a simple two-computer non-critical home setup, and I like it.  But I know full well, and fully expect, that it can potentailly fail, and I'm on my own.  But where I work, we use one of the more robust hardware solutions.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 29 2016 3:14 PM In reply to

• shchoona1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 485

And thats the problem ..  If u are a studio with several editing bays and you want to share media working on avid there is a 30k- 50 k penalty

• Tue, Nov 29 2016 3:32 PM In reply to

Not a penalty.  Cost of doing business.  Spending money in order to make money - getting tools you can rely on, so they "just work" without you thinking about it wasting valuable time to figure out how to make things work.  And it's not $30-50K.  More like $10K to get it going nowadays.

The costs of creating a purpose-built, fully-supported, tested, power-redundant, tuned-for-editing edit server such as Avid NEXIS or those by Facilis, Editshare, or any other, mean you pay a premium for it.  And even then, nowadays, you can get Avid's NEXIS hardware, brand new, 20 TB of it, with 10 Gbps networking speed, the product of all Avid's testing, as well as their support and backing, not to mention the volume-managment tools and whatever else is new in NEXIS, for UNDER $15K now - really close to $10K, even, as I look at Videoguys.  And there are other similar tools, with similar features, for less, if they fit your needs.  Only a couple of years ago, you'd be looking at 5-10 TIMES that for similar capacity and performance.  This is revolutionary.  If you are a studio with several edit bays, with paying clients, and you need your systems to be reliable all the time, that practically pays for itself.

But if you want to roll your own, you can use MIMIQ.  It's a nifty tool, and for me, it does exactly what I need to do on my own setup.  It might work great for you, too.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 15 2017 7:55 PM In reply to

• Euchrow
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 15 2006
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 266
    • Points 3,490

shchoona1:

hi

how about to be able to put the media filer were we want and not only on the root folder but also in subfolder

It's easy to do by configuring a loopback address. You can then mount any shared folder as a media drive. Just follow the instructions in the video below. You should make an Automator workflow and launch this at startup, as the loopback isn't persistent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY-RBEK7W8g

cheers,

alain

Symphony 8.3 on Mac Pro Westmere 3.33Ghz 6 core, 48Gb Ram, Radeon 5770, Yosemite 10.10.1, Matrox MXO2 Mini 4.5 - MC 8.3 on MacBook Pro Retina 2.6 GHz,... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller