Latest post Mon, Mar 27 2017 3:33 PM by peacebreaker. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 30 2016 2:02 AM

PLEASE create a usable successor to the pan & zoom effect

Editing historical documentaries and being able to put moves on photographs is critical to my work.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Ever since I jumped from v5 to v8 last year, the pan & zoom effect has been irreparably broken (and in one of the updates this fall, it now has a tendency to become corrupted and ruin my sequence and crash my system).

For a full year now, we haven't had a new effect or feature to replace pan & zoom.  Tech support has said that it will become part of framefrex, but I'm still waiting.

Right now I'm relegated to using frameflex to keyframe stills, but there's no ramping and other important controls.

Until this is fixed, I don't really see a value to renewing my support plan.

• Fri, Dec 2 2016 5:29 PM In reply to

Re: PLEASE create a usable successor to the pan & zoom effect

I hardly use Pan & Zoom at all anymore. I have found it much more manageable to apply a 3D Warp effect for the rough cut and then use After Effects to create the movements for the final delivery. I no longer have to worry about memory issues with large files or losing the photo asset link if it gets moved, etc. 

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, Dec 2 2016 6:19 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,432
    • Points 41,375

Kenton.VanNatten:

I hardly use Pan & Zoom at all anymore. I have found it much more manageable to apply a 3D Warp effect for the rough cut and then use After Effects to create the movements for the final delivery. I no longer have to worry about memory issues with large files or losing the photo asset link if it gets moved, etc. 

Plus, using this method, you have real media that transfers to a Resolve session if needed.  Solves many issue as well as giving you greater creative control.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Fri, Dec 2 2016 6:27 PM In reply to

Another option worth considering is Edit connection and Fusion straight from your Avid timeline with background rendering updating the P & Z in your timeline as you continue the edit. (Can use the same Connection / Fusion combo from Resolve Edit Page if you want)

• Fri, Dec 2 2016 6:31 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

or the Boris filters , also including mocha and thousands of other stuff

So, lots of options

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sat, Dec 3 2016 4:40 PM In reply to

AndrewAction:

Another option worth considering is Edit connection and Fusion straight from your Avid timeline with background rendering updating the P & Z in your timeline as you continue the edit. (Can use the same Connection / Fusion combo from Resolve Edit Page if you want)

I see Mr. P. has written up this! Thanks for mentioning...

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=291

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 4 2016 4:13 AM In reply to

If you have not seen how P&Z works with Edit Connection take a look at this  It is old now but I am led to believe the presenter actually wrote the original Connection AVX.  The P&Z part starts about 1 min 40 in  The P&Z process demo'd works for both MC and Resolve (and Lightworks)

FWIW  With MC the Edit Connection is included with the Artist DNxIO and also if you stump up for the paid version of Fusion.
    It works with the free version of Fusion with a slight workaround (After exporting from the time line you may have to open Fusion. You may also have to open the Fusion Comp.) For me the free Fusion version without the DNxIO works perfectly on my PC install but with my Mac install I have to open the Fusion Comp after Fusion opens)

• Sun, Dec 4 2016 9:07 PM In reply to

• TaT
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 44
    • Points 565

Let's try bundled with AvidMC... NewBlue Titler Pro

For me "Import image...", turn on keyframing and free rotating/moving/scaling image is very useful.

Even on quite large 5100x7000 scanned images...

Extras: quite good set of transitions, you can attache text descriptions and animate several images in one effect of course.

Rendering speed is reasonable (much faster then old AvidFX for example)

TaT

Mac Pro (Late 2013) 6 Core 3.5GHz, Avid MC 2018.12.3, 64GB RAM, D500, OS 10.13.6 *** PC X99 mobo 6 Core 4.2GHz, Avid MC 2018.12.3, 64GB RAM, GTX 970... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 5 2016 7:07 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

As they say, many ways to skin a cat .

My own workflow with BCC is as follows.

1: Create a new folder for the stills to be used and import them, don´t link , from there , import settings doesn´t matter although you might want to set the length to 3600 secs just in case.

2: Use those just created masterclips for your edit.

3: Add BCC P&Z upon them , link to the origin still in that just created folder, do your adjustments.

That new still folder that was created can be situated together together with your bins making it easier for you to recreate the project 10 years from now, there is a command in BCC P&Z that lets you point towards the folder .

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Mar 22 2017 12:50 AM In reply to

AndrewAction:
    It works with the free version of Fusion with a slight workaround (After exporting from the time line you may have to open Fusion. You may also have to open the Fusion Comp.) For me the free Fusion version without the DNxIO works perfectly on my PC install but with my Mac install I have to open the Fusion Comp after Fusion opens)

Wanted to followup on this from a few months ago since I'm back in the same boat again -- so you're saying that the free version of fusion works with Edit Connection, without having a DnxIO Artist?  That might be the way to go.

Otherwise I was looking into the stagetools movingpicture plugin for $250.  Not pretty but it looks like it get the job done.

But in the end, we shouldn't have to jump through hoops just get some basic pan & zoom functionality from Avid.

• Mon, Mar 27 2017 3:33 PM In reply to

I got an update today from tech support -- they claim that true pan&zoon functionality will be added to frameflex this year (but they couldn't give me a more exact timeframe).

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller