Latest post Wed, Dec 14 2016 5:45 PM by BobbyMurcerFan. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 13 2016 4:41 PM

• Kyler
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 26 2014
    • Boudreau
    • Posts 7
    • Points 125

Michael Phillips and Black Magic

Hey everyone. I'm about to shoot a feature on the Black Magic 4K camera. I'm looking at someting from Atomos to shorten post times on Avid re-wrapping files, but I'm seeing various views on that.

Just stumbled across the link below where Michael Phillips is talking about Avid and Black Magic, but it's an older video. Is there anything newer, or is this still good?

http://moviola.com/webinars/4k-with-avid-blackmagic-design/

And if anyone has comments on an Atomos workflow I'd love to hear them. Basically, I would LOVE to take footage from camera to Avid without rewrapping files.

But it isn't a perfect world.

Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7GHz Quadcore, 16GB RAM. [view my complete system specs]

--------------------

kyler boudreau

theatereleven.com

• Tue, Dec 13 2016 4:56 PM In reply to

Re: Michael Phillips and Black Magic

Exactly which 4K BM camera will you be using? And have you considered using the 4.6 K?

MC 8.2, AvidFX 6.4, BCC 8.2, Squeeze 8.1, QT 7.7.3, Nvidia driver 310.90, Window 7 Professional 64-bit SP1, IE9. Quadro 2000 and 600 videocards (three... [view my complete system specs]

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Tue, Dec 13 2016 6:44 PM In reply to

• Kyler
    • Not Ranked
    • Boudreau
    • Posts 7
    • Points 125

That's flexible. I mean... honestly I don't even have to use Black Magic. My DP just has one that's a couple years old, and that saves a camera rental.

But if I could find a workflow that allowed me to shoot, have that saved in an MXF format that Avid can just read (meaning dump the files into Avid MediaFiles and be done with it) then that's the work flow I'm after. If camera's need to change, I'm open.

--------------------

kyler boudreau

theatereleven.com

• Tue, Dec 13 2016 6:48 PM In reply to

Do you know if you are going to be recording RAW or compressed?

MC 8.2, AvidFX 6.4, BCC 8.2, Squeeze 8.1, QT 7.7.3, Nvidia driver 310.90, Window 7 Professional 64-bit SP1, IE9. Quadro 2000 and 600 videocards (three... [view my complete system specs]

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Tue, Dec 13 2016 7:09 PM In reply to

• Kyler
    • Not Ranked
    • Boudreau
    • Posts 7
    • Points 125

Hey man - thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Here's the deal - I began as an editor back when high resolution digital was not the norm. The last feature I cut was shot on film. I'm very familiar with Avid, but green with modern formats. 

This film is my project, and so I'm naturally pulled into post prep even if I don't cut.

All of that to say, I have no idea if I'm shooting raw or compressed. Raw sounds better to me, but I don't want to have a Mac Pro crunching stuff to a DNxHD format for weeks because I shot raw.

I'm 100% open to any workflow. Whatever is best. I'm trying to plan ahead.

--------------------

kyler boudreau

theatereleven.com

• Tue, Dec 13 2016 7:37 PM In reply to

This pretty much all that I know about the Ursas:

The 4.6K has better color science than the 4K.

Visually, the Mini and the full size Ursas are identical.

They can record uncompressed and compressed RAW.

They can record Prores.

Here's what I believe is true:

The Ursas can simultaneously record Prores and RAW at the same time.

DNx is coming to the Ursas, but is not there yet.

MC does not have an AMA plug-in for Cinema DNG (the RAW format the Ursa camers use).

For more info I would suggest these websites:

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/

http://bmcuser.com/forum.php

Good luck!!

• Tue, Dec 13 2016 7:44 PM In reply to

• Kyler
    • Not Ranked
    • Boudreau
    • Posts 7
    • Points 125

Awesome man, thanks!

If you shot your own film right now, and could use any camera you wanted, what would you use?

--------------------

kyler boudreau

theatereleven.com

• Wed, Dec 14 2016 4:38 AM In reply to

• gumbaedit
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Richmond, VA
    • Posts 517
    • Points 6,785

If you're going to be edinting a feature, there's a decent chance that you are going to want to edit at offline quality (either HD or 4K), be it dnx36 or DNxHR LB.  If that's the case, do yourself a favor and use Davinci Resolve as the way to Transcode all of your footage before sending it into avid for syncing and editing.

This has two advantages.  1st, if you are doing your conform and color in davinci, then you've already prepped your project for that process when you lock picture.  Secondly, the resolve>Avid>resovle workflow is really soild.  I've been using it on a tv series for the last 4 seasons as the dailies supervisor and it's been flawless.  I've also edited 4 feature length projects using this workflow (including a doc that had all formats from SD to 5k as well as 23.98 and 29.97 material) and it's worked well.

From experience, one downside to working with unwrapped footage from the camera is that when it comes time to make an output, there is the posibility that it can take awhile, especially if you've thrown filters into you timeline (watermarks, burnins, etc.)  I recently did a feature in DNxHR LB just to try out the workflow.  It was nice and worked well, with the exception of exporting, especially when compared to kicking out a DNx36 file from HD.

just a thought

6 core Late 2013 MacPro 3.0 gHz, 16 gigs RAM, MC 8.8.5 on OSX 10.12.4, DNxIO, Flanders CM250, BMD Desktop Video version 10.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 14 2016 5:13 AM In reply to

• Kyler
    • Not Ranked
    • Boudreau
    • Posts 7
    • Points 125

I like your thought - that makes sense.

So does the free version of DR work, or do I need the $1000 version? 

I'd be willing to pay you for a phone call to give me some specifics on workflow. I like to be prepared, and I'd rather spend some money on consulting now than kill myself later.

Thanks man!

--------------------

kyler boudreau

theatereleven.com

• Wed, Dec 14 2016 7:14 AM In reply to

Michael's Moviola thing was about roundtripping Avid MC <-> Resolve.

In this scenario you would need to make sure:

1. File names are the same when AMA linking to the proxy (extension will be
    different)
    2. Make sure timecodes match on same frame (start of file or whatever) and
    no offsets were introduced. 

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 14 2016 5:33 PM In reply to

• gumbaedit
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Richmond, VA
    • Posts 517
    • Points 6,785

Unless you need noise reduction, HDR or 3D, the free version of resolve is all you need.

To clarify, there's round tripping, and then there's using Resolve as your conform software.

Most of the time, when people talk about roundtripping on this forum, it involves editing in Avid, sending to resolve for color, then sending it back to avid and relinking.  What I'm refering to is going to resolve first for meatadat and transcoding, then to avid for editing in low res, then back to resolve to relink to camera originals and coloring.  That's the way that I've been doing it and I like it.  Once the final conform and color grade is donw in Avid, you have the option of adding the mixed sound and graphics to it in either avid or stay in resolve for all of your deliverables.  It's really dependent on what you're doing.  

The work flow is pretty simple, send me a pm and I can fill you in.

6 core Late 2013 MacPro 3.0 gHz, 16 gigs RAM, MC 8.8.5 on OSX 10.12.4, DNxIO, Flanders CM250, BMD Desktop Video version 10.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 14 2016 5:45 PM In reply to

gumbaedit:
    If you're going to be edinting a feature, there's a decent chance that you are going to want to edit at offline quality (either HD or 4K), be it dnx36 or DNxHR LB.  If that's the case, do yourself a favor and use Davinci Resolve as the way to Transcode all of your footage before sending it into avid for syncing and editing.

This has two advantages.  1st, if you are doing your conform and color in davinci, then you've already prepped your project for that process when you lock picture.  Secondly, the resolve>Avid>resovle workflow is really soild.  I've been using it on a tv series for the last 4 seasons as the dailies supervisor and it's been flawless.  I've also edited 4 feature length projects using this workflow (including a doc that had all formats from SD to 5k as well as 23.98 and 29.97 material) and it's worked well.

From experience, one downside to working with unwrapped footage from the camera is that when it comes time to make an output, there is the posibility that it can take awhile, especially if you've thrown filters into you timeline (watermarks, burnins, etc.)  I recently did a feature in DNxHR LB just to try out the workflow.  It was nice and worked well, with the exception of exporting, especially when compared to kicking out a DNx36 file from HD.

just a thought

gumba,

Have you tried using Prores files directly from the camera? FWIU, the Ursas can record RAW and Prores at the same time. Also, do you have any opinons on the quality of the compressed RAW options?

Thanks!!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller