Latest post Wed, Jan 4 2017 9:01 PM by Hoh. 35 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 29 2016 7:01 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,315
    • Points 59,940
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Is there an AVID lite?

It is and always has been a violation of the forum guidelines to solicit items for sale, regardless of whether a particular moderator or moderators removed the post. Perhaps a finishing forum mod will enforce the rules here.

Then again, there are other forums that allow it... but not here.

Mac Pro. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC Ultimate 2018.10.0. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), iPad Pro 12.9". 17" Macbook Pro i7. Dell... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 29 2016 7:10 PM In reply to

• Fazz Powell
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 3 2006
    • Annapolis, MD
    • Posts 336
    • Points 4,685

Thanks for that, I was off of this forum for a few years until I ran into XAVC-L hell and needed help. I wasn't sure what the policy was. My bad.

MC 8.8.5 w/Symphony option. NitrisDX, HP Z800 Dual 2.67Ghz, 96GB Ram, Nvidia M4000, BCC10, Sapphire10, TitlePro5, ProTools 10.5,Terrablock 24XS Multi-Write... [view my complete system specs]

Dan Powell - Take One Digital Media

• Thu, Dec 29 2016 7:19 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Done, Robert.

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Thu, Dec 29 2016 8:09 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,598
    • Points 60,090

Marianna:

Media Composer | First is still in development.  I would expect news at NAB 2017 or around that timeframe.

Marianna

Cool - that will be a nice alternative, particularly if it is accompanied by a series of really good 'Getting Started' videos specifically targetting newcomers to Avid. Looking forward to hearing how this works out.

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.7 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 11 | Sapphire 11 | Mocha Pro 5.6 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sat, Dec 31 2016 3:40 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,319
    • Points 53,385

Yeah, the low cost consumer NLE programs have so many how-to utubes so that would be my recommendation. Also they are very hardware tollerant.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Sat, Dec 31 2016 9:22 PM In reply to

smyers63:
    I'd say I know computers as well as anyone and got nowhere with Resolve. Maybe it's worth looking at again, though but for me, I really doubt it's worth the time to learn it.
    I believe it is 100% wrong to doubt it is worth the time.
    One it is free.
    Two It is IMO a good editor that is rapidly getting even better. (currently at no added cost)
    Three there are dozens of great tutorials online to get the kids started.
    Four if the poster still wanted to spend $60 to $80 then people like Ripple training have basic things like a Resolve Editing tutorial package that covers the editing functionality along with basic colour correction procedures the young folk need  to get started.
    Five it offers SAME timeline tabbing between editing, colour correction and VFX (via Fusion and Edit Connection also free)  
    Six the poster also has the opportunity to add a Resolve colour grading and VFX with great Titling, Keying, Blending, versioning .... to his own tool set.

• Sat, Dec 31 2016 10:20 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485

AndrewAction:

smyers63:
    I'd say I know computers as well as anyone and got nowhere with Resolve. Maybe it's worth looking at again, though but for me, I really doubt it's worth the time to learn it.
    I believe it is 100% wrong to doubt it is worth the time.
    One it is free.
    Two It is IMO a good editor that is rapidly getting even better. (currently at no added cost)
    Three there are dozens of great tutorials online to get the kids started.
    Four if the poster still wanted to spend $60 to $80 then people like Ripple training have basic things like a Resolve Editing tutorial package that covers the editing functionality along with basic colour correction procedures the young folk need  to get started.
    Five it offers SAME timeline tabbing between editing, colour correction and VFX (via Fusion and Edit Connection also free)  
    Six the poster also has the opportunity to add a Resolve colour grading and VFX with great Titling, Keying, Blending, versioning .... to his own tool set.

You took what I wrote way out of context in your rebuttal. I was talking specifically about myself as was clearly stated. I do not need it for any purpose and so it isn't worth my time to learn it. How can that be any more clear or reasonable?

In other posts I gave my thoughts that it wasn't a good idea to throw young children on their own with it.  That was also very clear and reasonable.

This doesn't need arguing to death, folks.

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Sat, Dec 31 2016 11:44 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485

I've just deleted a post which was of no purpose to the thread other than to possibly "fan the flames."  I'll delete others as they appear, so please just don't post them to begin with.

Thank you.

Scott

• Sun, Jan 1 2017 2:28 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,943
    • Points 214,790
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

smyers63:

I've just deleted a post which was of no purpose to the thread other than to possibly "fan the flames."  I'll delete others as they appear, so please just don't post them to begin with.

Thank you.

On a point of order, I wonder if some responsible person at Avid can explain the correct procedure when a moderator deletes a post.

I fully understand that moderators have this power, and I am not questioning it. What I would like to know is - if it is required for the person deleting a post to inform the person who posted that he/she is removing the post and to give the reasons as to why the post was deleted?

Recently I had a couple of my own posts deleted from this very thread and received no information from whoever deleted them as to what actual rule had been broken.

Back to the topic in question:

I agree with both Andrew and John that there are many alternatives to MC, for beginners, to get started on.

The bottom line, as I see it, is that it is not the NLE that makes a person an editor, it is up to  the person to learn how to use their skills/fantasy/general awareness/storytelling abilities etc. to use any NLE to shape/create his/her final complete edit.   No NLE has the ability to magically  instill those qualities into a person.
    In fact MC is, according to their own commercials, not the best NLE to start with, as it is "the NLE from which Hollywood Movies are made!"

I realise that the original question was asking for a Lite version for MC. That makes sense. But, taken the time it has been on the go, one can question the actual time it will see the light of day. Not the promised/expected time. Already a few promised and expected times have come and gone.

Jay's 10 year old twins are probaly raring to get into learning video editing now. Look around -  there are already a multitude of possibilities. All of which will let your twins soon realise if video editing is something for them or not.

Happy New Year!

Regards

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sun, Jan 1 2017 10:46 AM In reply to

drbgaijin:
    In fact MC is, according to their own commercials, not the best NLE to start with, as it is "the NLE from which Hollywood Movies are made!"

It's hard to respond without knowing which ad you're commenting on. The main Media Composer page on Avid.com currently says "The professional's choice for creative editorial" and there are a couple of links to stories about big budget movies that were edited on Media Composer. I assume it's that kind of thing you're referring to.

Obviously, everyone's experience of the world will affect how they respond to advertising, but to me there's nothing in any of the content on the main MC page that says anything about how easy MC is to learn or use. To me, they definitely don't say (I'm paraphrasing) "start with something else, because Hollywood movies are complicated, so Media Composer is too difficult for a beginner to learn."

Media Composer 2018.11 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Jan 1 2017 11:53 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,943
    • Points 214,790
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Carl,

You were correct in pulling me up on that point!
    Now that I read my own words again, I realise that I got my words in a tangle and should have written something more like, "In fact, in my opinion, MC is not the best NLE for 10 year old beginners to start with, as Avid has touted it as being "the NLE with which Hollywood Movies are made" The commercials were Avid's the opinion was mine.

A read through Marianna's information post on LITE is where I see the general assumption by Avid that the capabilities of Avid are what makes it a great editor to cut one's teeth on. That is what I disagree with.

The information is at http://community.avid.com/forums/p/133343/760246.aspx#760246 There is a disclaimer at the start of the article in which they guard against delays. But the post is from April 2015. That is why I mentioned that I thought the children would not be happy waiting until it actually surfaces - children want "now".

When children are learning something new, the most important thing for them is to meet a series of challenges that they can overcome through their own efforts with satisfaction and thus be spurred on to try harder to progress further. I can pick out the following quote by Avid in the following question from the thread mentioned above to show that they seem to be unaware of the reality of good learning/teaching . .

Q: Who is Media Composer | First designed for?

They say:

". . . . perfect for aspiring video professionals, video enthusiasts, students, and people interested in experiencing the video editing software used to create 99% of primetime television shows and the vast majority of major motion pictures. It’s a great way to get started in video editing." (bolding is my addition)

No Avid, it isn't.

I hope that explains my point of view a little clearer than I did in my post above.

Regards

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sun, Jan 1 2017 6:13 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,598
    • Points 60,090

I'm interested to hear what the OP settled on. Let us know if you have the time. 

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.7 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 11 | Sapphire 11 | Mocha Pro 5.6 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sun, Jan 1 2017 9:08 PM In reply to

• Jay Fedigan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 15 2010
    • Belmont, MA
    • Posts 70
    • Points 1,025

I appreciate all of the suggestions.  Thanks to everyone for giving this so much thought. I looked at the different editing options that people suggested it I didn't think I could spend the amount of time I would have to put in to it.

My preference for them is still Media Composer.  I looked into the Avid student subscription but it seems that my boys are too young to qualify.  If they did I could swing $9.99/ month.  I’m comfortable with Media Composer, I can teach them the basics and set up a pretty stripped down user profile for them to use.

I found that Adobe has a similar policy.  Even though my boys have already had had a year of Photoshop in grade school and are now in middle school taking Photoshop classes for the second year, they are “too young” for the Adobe student rate so they can't continue to learn at home.  Maybe someone at AVID will take into consideration that today's kids are more proficient on computers at younger ages than ever before and that these policies are outdated and should at least include middle school students.

I hope that I didn’t just whack a bee’s nest. 

HP z440 Xeon ES-1650 v3 3.4 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Nvidea Quadro M4000 , Media Composer 8.8.3 Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 1 2017 9:19 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Jay Fedigan:

I’m comfortable with Media Composer, I can teach them the basics and set up a pretty stripped down user profile for them to use.

Fully agree , youngsters of today are clever when it comes to manage computer applications , they´ll learn and will become very good at this.

Jay Fedigan:

My preference for them is still Media Composer.  I looked into the Avid student subscription but it seems that my boys are too young to qualify.

Makes me surprised , didn´t even know that this was the case, Marianna ??

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sun, Jan 1 2017 9:22 PM In reply to

Jay Fedigan:
    I hope that I didn’t just whack a bee’s nest.

Whack away, dude. I didn't know 10 year olds were learning Photoshop in school, and maybe this will stir up someone at Avid to make a change to their educational license policies.

Media Composer 2018.11 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 2 of 3 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller