Latest post Wed, Mar 1 2017 9:18 AM by ShadenFreude. 45 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 24 2017 11:32 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Re: MC 8.8 fails to launch

Mark:

Gave it a try. Issue remains. 

smyers63:

If that doesn't work, I'd uninstall MC, Appman, Pace, and Sentinel.  

Pace data is kept in the ilock USB stick. What about Sentinel? What backup if anything is recommended before deleting Sentinel? 

Pace and Sentinel are software installed on your computer with MC.  There's nothing to backup.  Just uninstall them.

As far as iLok, I don't think that's going to be affected unless you do something with it such as with the iLok manager.  Just to clarify, do you have an iLok stick or an MC dongle, or maybe both?  Definitely, an MC dongle will not be affected by uninstalling the computer software I listed.

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Fri, Feb 24 2017 11:36 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485

In Programs and Features:

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Fri, Feb 24 2017 11:38 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485

Programs and Features:

Scott

• Sat, Feb 25 2017 12:34 AM In reply to

Mark:
    Pace data is kept in the ilock USB stick.
    If what you are trying at present does not work and you have not upgraded to the latest  iLok manager then try to install it.  If it wont install you should get an error message during the install process that may point you to what is causing issues with Pace (for instance in my case it showed "Cannot install on this version of W7 install all updates"  

FWIW my issue with it was with a PT's install about a week before I installed  MC 8.8. After the latest iLok manager installed properly the PT's issue went away. Subsequently I had no issues with MC 8.8. I think the iLok manager installs the appropriate Pace driver. (That MC 8.8 then can or does ovwewrite)

• Sun, Feb 26 2017 12:54 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485

AndrewAction:

Mark:
    Pace data is kept in the ilock USB stick.
    If what you are trying at present does not work and you have not upgraded to the latest  iLok manager then try to install it.  If it wont install you should get an error message during the install process that may point you to what is causing issues with Pace (for instance in my case it showed "Cannot install on this version of W7 install all updates"  

FWIW my issue with it was with a PT's install about a week before I installed  MC 8.8. After the latest iLok manager installed properly the PT's issue went away. Subsequently I had no issues with MC 8.8. I think the iLok manager installs the appropriate Pace driver. (That MC 8.8 then can or does ovwewrite)

Mark,

You should complete what I was suggesting before going down another route.  It would be a waste of both our time otherwise.

Scott

• Sun, Feb 26 2017 2:18 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485

Mark:

Crashes to desktop from splashscreen at "Initializing Audio" with Avid Media Composer 8.8 popup box "Exception: Failed to initialized audio hardware"

I went back to your first post, Mark, to be sure there wasn't something missing or misunderstood and that you didn't mean there was an iLok error message.  You don't have a problem with Pro Tools so the most likely problem is a bad MC install.  Once you complete the steps I gave to insure a good install, we'll know where to go next, if anything else is actually necessary.

Scott

• Sun, Feb 26 2017 4:40 AM In reply to

smyers63:
    You don't have a problem with Pro Tools so the most likely problem is a bad MC install.
    Be aware the iLok error message only appeared when updating PT's 12.6.1 to PT's 12.7.  So if Mark is on 12.4 as per his specs then his Pro Tools not having an issue should not rule out the possible benefit of installing a new iLok manager to show whether Pace is, or is not part, of the issue.  

The M Box forum in the Duc may have useful information like this sticky.  As you say Quicktime may cause M Box inspired issue. I am using the onboard audio optical out for MC in software only mode works and WMP is my default for .wav and bwf's.

• Sun, Feb 26 2017 3:50 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 19 2010
    • Posts 432
    • Points 4,660

Sentinal uninstalled.

Pace uninstall fails. Spawning error messages, "The INF file that was specified by DriverPackageInfPath was not found. occurred in D:\jenkins\full\eden\client\pace\installers\endUser\win\ilockDriverPackages\ilockCopyInf\CopyInf.cpp at line number:423 Other Error:2 Internal Operation:200" & "Either the user has chosen not to install a required feature, or a fatal error has occurred. The install will be rolled back." Never had a D;\jenkins directory AFAIK.

Pace online support not on point. Phone support M-F, 9-5 pacific.

Took a first read of the DUC sticky. Will read it more closely & follow up on it later. Saw it refers to Mbox 2nd gen. I've a 3rd gen. 

Quicktime is an OT issue I stumbled upon while trying to chase down matter at hand. Instead of addding hard with audio files to computer I thought it might be faster to rip an audio CD in the computer's DVD drive. Ran into difficulty doing that. First whack at internet search found a pair of items saying windows uses a quicktime component not found to do so. One presumes it's an uninstalled component in the wake the quicktime vulnerability workaround.

Most installed media players includeding VLC won't play .cda files. Just now added same file to Pro Tools using Import Audio/Convert from 44.1 kHz/16 bit to 44.1 kHz/16 bit.    

MC 8.7.2. HP Z400, Xeon W3580, 24GB ECC RAM, BMD Decklink Studio 4K, Desktop Video 10.3, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 26 2017 10:06 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485

The message during that uninstall looks like it means you don't have the installer package available to run the uninstall.  If your D drive is an optical drive, then you installed that from a CD/DVD at some point and as a result that's what the uninstall routine is looking for.  If you did install before from an optical disc and don't have that disc, you should download an installer, and install with it before you can uninstall properly.

Don't expect players to handle .cda files.  They aren't playable.  They're shortcuts/pointers to CD tracks.

If you have an Avid support contract, consider contacting Avid support.

Scott

• Sun, Feb 26 2017 11:52 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 432
    • Points 4,660

The uninstaller runs, seems to go most of the way through, generates the error messages & rolls back the uninstall. D: is a hard disk. Must have been a optical drive for a few hours when machine first arrived. My SOP is assign it/them Z:/Y:

Thanks for the copius help, 

MC 8.7.2. HP Z400, Xeon W3580, 24GB ECC RAM, BMD Decklink Studio 4K, Desktop Video 10.3, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 27 2017 12:24 AM In reply to

Mark:
    First whack at internet search found a pair of items saying windows uses a quicktime component not found to do so. One presumes it's an uninstalled component in the wake the quicktime vulnerability workaround.
    FYI on this PC I still have QT installed.

Interestingly for me yesterday after reinstalling PT's 12.7.2 I went to open a Pro Tools by double clicking on the session. Pro Tools crashed on opening with audio hardware issue and asked me to reset audio harware buffer size. I then realised this was a 44.1 saved session. Opening ProTools normally from the dock and then opening a 44.1 Pro Tools template created a 48k session.  (this computers audio out for both PT's and MC out is via the optical port using a Realtek HD driver)

Subsequent investigation shows 44.1 is not an available option in any of my PT's Session setups on the W7 machines.   The same 44.1 template opened in the Mac here as 44.1. Several other projects tried on the Mac all have 44.1 as an option.

None of the MC projects (existing or new) I looked at have either 44.1K or 32K as an option on Mac or PC so maybe this is all a red herring.

• Mon, Feb 27 2017 12:27 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485

The uninstaller still needs the install package present where it was when you installed - or you have to use the option to tell it where another copy of the install package is now - or you have to run another install package and then uninstall.

While you say the uninstaller is running, it's not completing.  What I'm saying should correct that.  The easiest option is to get another installer, install from it, then uninstall so you can complete uninstalling all of MC's components before reinstalling again.

Scott

• Mon, Feb 27 2017 12:34 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485

smyers63:

The uninstaller still needs the install package present where it was when you installed - or you have to use the option to tell it where another copy of the install package is now - or you have to run another install package and then uninstall.

While you say the uninstaller is running, it's not completing.  What I'm saying should correct that.  The easiest option is to get another installer, install from it, then uninstall so you can complete uninstalling all of MC's components before reinstalling again.

You can use the Pace installer that's part of the MC package to do your install/uninstall - as long as your extracted files aren't in a series of folders too deep as we talked about earlier.

The Pace installer is in \MediaComposer\Installers\MediaComposer\ISSetupPrerequisites in your extracted zip files.

Scott

• Mon, Feb 27 2017 11:00 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 432
    • Points 4,660

Remember the scene in Dangerous Liaisons when John Malkovich’s character runs up the stairs wide kneed shouting, “Success! Success!” 

This isn’t it.

I tried the Pace’s installer & legacy installer downloaded from their site before reading your post as well as the one included with the MC 8.8 installer copied to & launched from a top level directory after reading your post. None work. All go part way through the installation, errors are reported & the installs uninstall themselves. 

• Tue, Feb 28 2017 9:21 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485

Mark:

Remember the scene in Dangerous Liaisons when John Malkovich’s character runs up the stairs wide kneed shouting, “Success! Success!” 

This isn’t it.

I tried the Pace’s installer & legacy installer downloaded from their site before reading your post as well as the one included with the MC 8.8 installer copied to & launched from a top level directory after reading your post. None work. All go part way through the installation, errors are reported & the installs uninstall themselves.

You may have more trouble than first suspected but don't use anything that was extracted to a folder too deep even when copied from there to somewhere else not too deep.  The files shouldn't be trusted once they've gone too deep in folders.  Windows only allows paths to be so long and that's it.  The path names won't be fixed by copying to a higher level if they weren't complete in the first place.  I was trying to make that clear earlier but perhaps I failed.

Since another installer also didn't work, you may be in a situation where you'll need help from Pace to get that straightened out.  I've never run into trouble with an uninstall of that particular software.  I have run into similar troubles with other software at times and solved them but each case can require a different approach to solve.

I'm curious as to what errors the Pace install or uninstall showed.  Be aware that most software won't allow you to install an older version over a newer one.  Not being aware of exactly what steps you took with what versions of the software and in what order, I don't know what state the system is in now.  That's the reason for following all steps exactly as given and not going back and forth between different troubleshooting procedures given by multiple people.  You and I would need to stay in sync along the way just as you would need to with anyone else's procedure.  That's part of the reason I suggested Avid support earlier - they could take control of your system and handle the troubleshooting for you.  I could do the same but I'm a volunteer as are other forum moderators.

Scott

Page 3 of 4 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller