Latest post Thu, Feb 23 2017 3:28 AM by Mondo. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 21 2017 1:58 AM

Some Multigroups not functioning correctly when clips have LUTs

We're multigrouping clips that have a Sony S-log LUT applied to them as a color adapter.

Sometimes, not always, after the sync map is subclipped and multigrouped, the resulting multigroup appears only as one subgroup. The subgroup has the same name as what should be the first subgroup. It is the same length as the entire multigroup and I can scrub through it in quad display and see all the other cameras. This seems cool but, I'm only able choose the camera option that were in the first subgroup.  In other words, I may be able to scrub through and see all the other cameras, but I can't actually switch to them if they appeared after the first subgroup.

This is happening in 8.7.2 and 8.8.

When I remove the LUTs from the subclips (which also seems to remove LUTs from the master clips), all the other subgroups appear on the multigroup and it behaves as normal.

This seems similar to another LUT related bug in previous versions which I believe was fixed in 8.5.3. With that bug you could access the first subgroup and not the rest of the multigroup. Here, we scrub through everything, but only have the camera options of the first subgroup.

On this project, the producers really want to be able to play with the LUTs during edit, so baking them in is not an option. We also really need to use multigroups because some of the shoots were really complex with lots of different cameras switching in and out.

Anyone else running into this? Any other suggested workarounds that would allow us to keep the LUTs in the multigroup?

• Wed, Feb 22 2017 5:00 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Re: Some Multigroups not functioning correctly when clips have LUTs

moviejulie:
    Sometimes, not always, after the sync map is subclipped and multigrouped, the resulting multigroup appears only as one subgroup. The subgroup has the same name as what should be the first subgroup. It is the same length as the entire multigroup and I can scrub through it in quad display and see all the other cameras. This seems cool but, I'm only able choose the camera option that were in the first subgroup. 

So I can think of two ways to get around this:

First I'd try manually editing your subgroups into a sequence and see if the problem persists. Or second: dial back to 8.6.x as 8.72+ has major problems until they fix the graphics engine render bug in it.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Wed, Feb 22 2017 3:30 PM In reply to

I believe the graphics render bug is limited to PCs. I haven't seen it here on our Macs.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Feb 22 2017 4:41 PM In reply to

Wow, was not aware of the render bug. Good to know it's a bug if we see it pop up. We're all on Macs here.

We want to be in 8.8 because of Scriptsync and Phrasefind. 

The plan we've arrived at is to keep the LUTs off all the source clips and use the Color LUT effect to apply them in the sequence. We'll see how that goes. Hopefully nothing else too wonky will pop up.

• Thu, Feb 23 2017 3:28 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Kevin Klimek:

I believe the graphics render bug is limited to PCs. I haven't seen it here on our Macs.

I did not know that. I've been holding of updating the Mac 8.7 or 8.8 because of that.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller