Latest post Mon, Mar 6 2017 7:41 AM by mjolnarn. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 21 2017 7:40 AM

Video Compression Not Recognized Bug

Hi all... super frustrating issue with a feature I'm trying to output.  The clips are 4K RED sources with a couple other basic resolutions mixed in like H264 from DJI Phantom, and some basic alpha titles.  Right now, the sequence is glitching out with the error message, "Video compression not recognized.  File..\..\src\msm\DIDReader.c, Line 4744"

I'm attempting to transcode the sequence to 2K so tried the sequence itself and I get the two errors.  Then, I broke up the sequence into five parts, tried them all... same thing. 

Next, I deleted the databases, to no avail.

Then, this is what really shows me there is an issue.  I tried transcoding clip by clip.  In a four clip section, there's a V1 layer with four clips, V2 with four clips, V3 with four clips.  I did each clip separately and no problem, transcoded like how it's supposed to.  All 12 clips work on their own (but not together).  Then, I sub-sequenced the four clips in V1 on its own, then V2, then V3... transcoded those, all worked, no error.  However, when I did the 'stack' of three, the errors popped up.  When I did just two layers... errors again.

I wasted a night upgradinging, downgrading, to no avail.  Right now I'm on 8.6.3.  Do I have to go down to 8.5 or something, at this point?  I don't know what else to do but I'm afraid of losing the colorwork I've done, which links to the RMD looks.

All I know is that the producers are floored at how buggy this process as been and they keep asking why I'm not on Premiere :/  Definitely not a good look for Avid, if it's supposed to be 'industry standard'.

Anyway, I would love any insight into how to fix this programming bug.  Thanks all.

MC8/Symphony Option 8.8 Lenovo K450 nVidia GTX 780 ti (Superclocked) i7 4770 32GB RAM 750W Power [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 21 2017 9:03 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,305

Re: Video Compression Not Recognized Bug

Hi Jason , been scanning through your posts so far and despite your 20 years with Avid I can see a lot of frustration, what you are describing works for me and most other users , workflows have changed during these 20 years , do you maybe have someone close that can guide you through some of these new workflows.

And, regarding comparing Avid with Adobe it looks about the same but the opposite when frustrated Adobe editors posts on the Adobe boards , comments like that will not help you to solve your problems.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Feb 21 2017 2:46 PM In reply to

mjolnarn:

Hi Jason , been scanning through your posts so far and despite your 20 years with Avid I can see a lot of frustration, what you are describing works for me and most other users , workflows have changed during these 20 years , do you maybe have someone close that can guide you through some of these new workflows.

And, regarding comparing Avid with Adobe it looks about the same but the opposite when frustrated Adobe editors posts on the Adobe boards , comments like that will not help you to solve your problems.

The frustration stems from me doing nothing wrong on my end, yet, the programming not working like it's supposed to.  I'm using the 'modern' workflow, I'm not some dinosaur who hasn't adapted.  I used trancoded versions of the hirez R3D files... edited from those, when done, I AMAed to the hirez R3Ds.  This is the workflow.  It sounds like you're saying it's something I'm doing wrong, which I'm not.  The clips play in the source, they're recognized in the bin, they play fine individually.  When I try to transcode them individually, they work fine... but as a more than one, they don't.  That's not a problem on my end, that's a programming bug.

Am I not allowed to be frustated over that?  I have producers breathing down my back for a cut, yet, the software isn't doing what it's supposed to do and, as usual, I have to find a "workaround" from another Avid bug. 

I'm just going to try another uninstall, reinstall, having to go back to 8.5 I guess... because that's the only solutation I haven't tried yet. 

Thanks.

MC8/Symphony Option 8.8 Lenovo K450 nVidia GTX 780 ti (Superclocked) i7 4770 32GB RAM 750W Power [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 21 2017 3:09 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,305

Jason Honeycutt:

I used trancoded versions of the hirez R3D files...

Ok, was that transcode done in Avid after having linked initially

Jason Honeycutt:

when done, I AMAed to the hirez R3Ds.  This is the workflow.

ok, so this was just a relink to the origin hirez clips from the edited sequense

Jason Honeycutt:

When I try to transcode them individually, they work fine... but as a more than one, they don't.

and what if you transcode the relinked sequense to your online codec

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Feb 21 2017 3:26 PM In reply to

The workflow was... AMA the R3D files, transcode those.  Edit from those low res transcodes.  When done, relink to the original AMA clips... the sequence updated as it should. 

The only variable is that I started on 8.5 then I wanted it to 'see' the RedCine updated RMD look I did in RedCine, which 8.5 can't see... but in 8.6, with thet new 'refresh' option, it now can.  So, after the sequence was linked, I updated to 8.6 and it was fine for a while... but then it started doing the video compression error.

With transcoding the sequence, I was trying to go to 2K DNxHR (HRX).  I shot it in 4K but we're outputting 2K... in theory :)

• Tue, Feb 21 2017 3:33 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,305

Ok, so you are transcoding the relinked sequense and not individual clips .

What about the Red plugins , are they updated to the correct version , as it did work for a while , something must have happened here , that Overclocked system of yours, if specs are correct , could also be a factor of course , not sure about how that Nvidia card should behave either , I use a Quadro card myself , but that should not affect the transcode I think .

Tomas 

• Tue, Feb 21 2017 11:48 PM In reply to

Yeah, what I find extremely odd are the variables... which there aren't many.  Like, if I transcode a clip on its own, it works like it should... but if I do it to a section of clips in a row, all one video layer, it works fine.  However, when I use the second video layer, it glitches out.  And same with the sequence, like, it'll play if I subclip a section but together, it doesn't play nice.

Also, the RED AMA plug-is in up to date because I need the current color spaces on it. 

And here's the thing about the card... in previous versions, it plays perfectly, like no chugging on native 4K R3Ds but now it glitches out.  And, the odd thing is that it's the same issue... and I tried it on my laptop, which is brand new, overkill specs, and it does the same thing and actually for two differnet projects.  The only variables at this point are; Avid 8.6.3 (I was up to .5) and maybe my personal settings.  I dunno what they would matter but those are the only two issues left at this point.     

Also, with the card, correct me if I'm wrong Avid community, but isn't that the big upsell of the current Avid versions, that it now uses the GPU's power even if it's not a Quadro?  The card I have has CUDA cores, very similar to the Quadro... I might upgrade to the 1080 though, maybe two, but I'm assuming this is a software, not hardware speed issue.

I'm topped out on my subscription at Avid 8.6 so I might pay up to try 8.8 or just uninstall, reinstall with 8.5 but I'm terrified that all of the colorwork and Frameflexing will be out the window, since it AMAs completely differently.  Of course, I'll back-up and use a 'test' sequence.

I'll let everyone know if 8.5 solves it, though, like I heard it did for someone else.  I use this workflow for online tv shows at my network all the time, but right now I'm using V7 there, with zero issues.  Like, I haven't once received this error message until 8.6.

• Wed, Feb 22 2017 7:43 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,305

if we concentrate on the transcode here , you are saying that one layer transcodes fine but if you transcode dual layers , I guess you mean tracks , you get problems .

I would examine the workflow here , if it is the same type of media , same framerate , maybe some frameflex settings , maybe even do a mixdown and replace just to check , also , there are several transcode settings that could help here

Tomas 

• Mon, Feb 27 2017 2:13 AM In reply to

Just a heads up...

I reinstalled 8.5, that didn't solve it on my desktop.  Went back to 8.6.3.  A while ago, I somehow got one part of the sequence to transcode, like 1/5 of it in the middle.  The odd thing is that that section is transcoded to DNxHRX... and even THAT is glitching out!!  It's transcoded already, should play perfectly... no AMA linking whatsoever.  It's saying 'video compression' issue.

I just checked it out on my laptop with has a slightly better graphics card and was running 8.5.  The regular-linked sequence still glitched out with the error message but the transcoded section of the sequence actually played like it should.  Then, I tried bumping it up to 8.6.5 and sure enough, now the transcoded sequence's 'video compression' (although native to Avid) isn't recognized.  

This makes zero sense... anyone from Avid have a solution or reason for this?

• Mon, Feb 27 2017 6:13 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,305

Maybe you should stay on the same version , 8,65 is a good one , until we know what you are doing here , regarding DNxHR transcode . you get that if the project is larger than HD or if you checkmark the box to not convert and keep the framerate.

And of course also if you manually select DNxHR in the scrolldown and also some other variables.

Lots to read in the white paper , readme etc

I also wrote some recommendations above, in earlier posts, how about those

Tomas 

• Thu, Mar 2 2017 6:00 PM In reply to

Just as an update for the Avid techs, who I'm sure are working feverishly on this...

Last night I did some more tests.  Okay, so the feature as whole is a buggy mess so I broke it up into five sections.  I did the tests from earlier, which are good 'scientific' constant vs. variable tests.  But last night I dug deeper. 

In one of the groups... I have five layers of video.  Again, ALL video is linked via the RED plug-in (current) and they all play perfectly on the source side... everything is online, everything has no glitch... everything is recognized.  Long story short, the error is definitely in the timeline.  I found that by deleting all of the media off of V2, the sequence now plays perfectly.  What's different on V2 than the other layers?  NOTHING.  It's literally the same group of RED files... and actually, just as a test, there's a section where it's the SAME section of shots just overcut onto V1.  So, V2 mirrors V1 in a section... great place to checkout.  I isolated that section... still, V2 was glitching out.  I delete V2... plays fine.  I put it in... and the SAME CLIPS that play on V1 now say the compression is not "recognized."  Again, V1... those clips are recognized... on V2, they are not.  NOTHING is different about the media.

This is a programming bug in the timeline.  I assume it happened in the master sequence and when I subbed them into five... that bug carried over because it's in every one of the five... and it's not V2 in the others, it's different.

I'm begging Avid... PLEASE, I've done all of this research, at this point, is there a solution?  What is the common denominator programming 'cancer' that is carrying over from the master sequence that is corrupting this?  I'm assuming some kind of metadata from the cut?  When I try using a fresh sequence, and inserting that bad timeline into a new one... that also carries over.  The only thing I can think of that I haven't tried is to change the sequence timecode to 'trick' it into resetting whatever link it had to the position on the timeline.  I'll give that a go tonight but I'm out of answers at this point.  (Btw, I tried it in 8.8 and it's the same thing.)

• Fri, Mar 3 2017 1:18 AM In reply to

And what if just a clip or some clips are corrupted?

My guess goes on the Phantom files.

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(390.77)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 2018.5 with Symphony Option/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Fri, Mar 3 2017 1:37 AM In reply to

George Angeludis:

And what if just a clip or some clips are corrupted?

My guess goes on the Phantom files.

(Do you mean 'slow mo' Phantom or DJI Phantom... or remenent files/renders that might be linking still...?)

The odd thing is that when I eliminated V2, there was barly any media on that layer.  Then, I isolated a section where the media was just overcut the same string of media, just with effect adjustments/repos.  Hmm... I'll try to clear all renders and see if that snags a corrupted piece of media. 

With 'confused codec' clips, before, I had in a project... I simple relinked a folder and in the plug-in column (?) in the bin, it changed from not recgonized to the plug-in and it played without error... but not this time.  With that other project, it was Canon MXF.  I've never had this happen, though, with R3D files. 

So okay, I'll clear renders and see what that does.  I know a lot of threads have started about this bug but it's never been solved, other than some people having success rolling it back to 8.5, but that didn't work.

• Fri, Mar 3 2017 1:48 AM In reply to

I have seen corrupted files rarely. But some of them where from DJI (Osmo or Phantom).

I am talking about corrupted files. Files as .mp4 coming out of those cameras.

Sometimes non playable timelines has to do with even one frame of a single corrupted file.

MC is very strict on these as it where with captured files that were corrupted.

Then I was angry too. Now I think this is the way it should be from the start.

I have edited many many hours of Canon XF transcoded media, never had a problem.

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(390.77)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 2018.5 with Symphony Option/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Fri, Mar 3 2017 2:21 AM In reply to

Thanks for the heads up on those... I'll check them out, only a handful in the timeline but ya never know.  Offhand, I think they're being read as H264 but I'll check and let everyone know.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller