Latest post Tue, Jul 4 2017 6:51 PM by Ronald Czarnecki. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 26 2017 3:12 AM

Waveform sync

I was shooting a wedding with three JVC GY-HM170 cameras. I recorded QT but not continuous clips. During parts of the shoot, some cameras were accidentally shut off and turned back on. The camera makes 4GB clips which are imported into MC each in their own bin.

Putting all these different clips into one bin and then waveform sync did not work, it seems I have to mix down each camera video and then audio and then auto sync the video and audio back into one clip, then put the mixdown in one bin to waveform sync. This seems to work however I have some cameras that were shut off and I don't know where those cuts are.

If Plural Eyes was working with Media Composer that would be the way to go so that the timeline has all the clips in order on the timeline.

Is there not a way to work with these different 4GB clips using waveform sync. Is that correct? 
    Has any looked at Entangle? Says it does not work with all codecs

https://edit8.com/entangle-for-avid-2/

MC Version: 8.6.4 System: PC windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Workstation ATX mid Tower case, MSI Z87-G45 MBoard, 650 watt,Crucial M500 250GB SSD, Intel i7-4770K... [view my complete system specs]

MC 8.4.5     Built Workstation-Windows® 7 Professional, 64bit,/ Intel® CoreTM i7-4770K processor/ NVIDIA Quadro K2000D 2GB/16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz /MSI Z87-G45 Mother Board/650 Watt Power/ Super Multi Blue Writer (LG BH12LS38)/ AVID C-400 for audio interface  Pro Tools MP

• Mon, Jun 26 2017 12:11 PM In reply to

Re: Waveform sync

This might help partially.  I have two HM-170 cameras.  Instead of importing clips, I (AMA) link then transcode the footage to DNx-145 before starting a multicam edit.

Then I manually synch, as often as needed.  Sometimes I synch by a visual cue, (a camera flash works really well).  Other times I synch by how the waveform looks, like when there's a loud noise suitable. (A clapper board, loud hand clap, first note of a song etc. )

As I edit, when the job is really complex, I create a new separate bin for the multicam work.

I'm also careful before the shoot to set the time and date in the cameras, and audio recorders, so they match. At least as closely as I can get them.  And I strenuously avoid turning them off or having power interrupted to any of them.

But as for dealing with the wedding footage you already have, best I can say is link and transcode before trying to synch.  I wouldn't even bother to try synching AVCHD myself.  The waveforms don't even display on my version of MC.

MC 6.0.4,Gateway FX6800, i7 920 Processor, Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Win 7 Pro 64 SP1), 6gb Ram, GeForce GT 710 (2gb), 2 JVC HM170U Camcorders, 1 Canon... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 26 2017 12:56 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,311
    • Points 16,130

I do a lot of multicam with AVCHD.  This is my basic method:

Link to the footage.

Create a pre-sync map sequence where each camera in on its own track.  So for example, if there are three shots from camera A, they would all be on track 1 butted together.  Camera B shots on track 2, etc.

Export an AAF of the sequence.

Bring the AAF into PluralEyes.  (Version 3.5 is the latest you can use for this on PC.  PluralEys does not like DNxHR, so makes sure your AAF sequence references the camera original.)

Sync.

Export the synced AAF from PluralEyes

Import the synced AAF into Avid.  This should be a proper sync map of your material.

At this point I transcode to a proxy resolution and relink the sync map to the transcoded footage.

From here you're into the normal multicam preparation.  There are many good tutorials.

That said, if there are not a lot of camera start/stops,  I will  frequently use Roger's manual method.

Hope this helps.

• Tue, Jul 4 2017 6:47 PM In reply to

Roger I usually just find a sync point but here my cameramen were turning off and on cameras during the wedding so there are a lot of sync points. I can not handle all the cameras so I depend on the crew. 

On linking and then transcoding I have been getting green patching in the transcode probably too slow a computer for 4K. So I import, then create timeline for each camera in sequence, export AAF

MC Version: 8.6.4 System: PC windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Workstation ATX mid Tower case, MSI Z87-G45 MBoard, 650 watt,Crucial M500 250GB SSD, Intel i7-4770K... [view my complete system specs]

MC 8.4.5     Built Workstation-Windows® 7 Professional, 64bit,/ Intel® CoreTM i7-4770K processor/ NVIDIA Quadro K2000D 2GB/16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz /MSI Z87-G45 Mother Board/650 Watt Power/ Super Multi Blue Writer (LG BH12LS38)/ AVID C-400 for audio interface  Pro Tools MP

• Tue, Jul 4 2017 6:51 PM In reply to

Smrpiz

I downloaded the trial version 3.5 and it worked great, right on the frame. I wish I could buy Plural Eyes but not if they are not supporting it. I got this response from Plural Eyes:

"The streamlined workflow stressed in PluralEyes 4 was harder to integrate with Avid due to how it translates the results to and from an XML format versus the AAF format. We've got a request in place to track users like yourself who're looking to add Avid accessibility back into PluralEyes, I've gone ahead and added your ticket to that request's tally system to give it some weight in development."

I shall look at Entangle for Avid

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller