Latest post Mon, Jul 31 2017 10:04 PM by Telegram!. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 28 2017 3:01 PM

Copying clip names to another set of clips

I have a set of clips which were logged.  I'd like to copy these clip names to a new set of clips.  I can't seem to find any documentation or forum threads about how to do this...

• Fri, Jul 28 2017 5:50 PM In reply to

Re: Copying clip names to another set of clips

What are you expecting/hoping beyond cut and paste?

How will MC know which clips to apply which names to?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Fri, Jul 28 2017 7:32 PM In reply to

What I'd like to do is a simple batch copy and paste of 200 clip names from one set of clips to another, similar to how you can batch duplicate column data from one column to another.  In other words, just a couple clicks instead of 200+ clicks.  Both sets of clips are already in the proper order.

• Sun, Jul 30 2017 4:23 AM In reply to

• Ken Lent
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 18 2007
    • California
    • Posts 121
    • Points 1,275

IF YOU ARE BRAVE:

First, I'd recommend you copy all files concerned into a new folder so you are covered in case something goes wrong!  You should also try this on a much smaller set of practice files first, to make sure it does what you expect it to do.

If you are on a PC, open a new spreadsheet.  Drop the list of "before" names into column B and the "after" names into column C.  Fill column A  with REN the same number of times as there are files.   So you'll have something like

COL A        COL B               COL C
    -------     -----------         -----------
     REN     oldname001     newname001
     REN     oldname002     newname002
     REN     oldname003     newname003
     REN     oldname200     newname200

Now save your spreadsheet as a text file, or copy and paste into a text file, say BATCHIT.TXT.

Check the text file to make sure its contents look like this:

REN oldname001 newname001
    REN oldname002 newname002
    REN oldname003 newname003
    REN oldname200 newname200

Change the file's extension from .TXT to .BAT, and run BATCHIT.BAT in a Command Prompt window.

Disclaimer: I have not tried this myself, so results are not guaranteed.  If you do not grok the whole procedure, it can be dangerous!

Core i7 930 PC 2.8GHz / 18GB RAM / Win7 Pro 64bit SP1 / nVidia Quadro K2200 (driver 375.86) / MC 8.8.5 (Symphony/PF/SS) / BCC AVX 10.0.2 / NewBlue Titler... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 30 2017 2:52 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,572
    • Points 45,875
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

There are a number of file renamers out there (do a google search for Batch File Rename). Some are relatively basic, others let you filter and manipulate the file names in all sorts of ways.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sun, Jul 30 2017 3:13 PM In reply to

AH I see this isn't an Avid related query. Just a file management question.

As others have said there are file renamers but you asked about copying filenames from one set of files to another. I still fail to see how you ensure the right name goes to the right file? Or does that not matter?

Also have different sources with the dame filenames is a risky business.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sun, Jul 30 2017 3:36 PM In reply to

As far back as I can recall, MC has never been able to Batch Modify Clip Names, to revise or correct mis-spellings or to add (or reduce) important details, etc. If this is what YOU would like to see in future versions of MC, then just wander over to the Feature Request Forum and add your needs to the existing Feature Request about this very concept. Remember: You are paying good money every year for Support, so asking for help is encouraged.

Otherwise, good luck with the existing clip Name correction process or various workarounds.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 31 2017 5:27 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,582
    • Points 65,470

peacebreaker:
    I'd like to copy these clip names to a new set of clips.
    Wouldn't just duplicating the clips to a new bin (ALT-drag) be easier?

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Jul 31 2017 5:16 PM In reply to

I see there is some confusion as to what I am hoping to accomplish... here's the full story:

I have a set of clips transcoded and logged within MC from the original R3D files.  Using the import method creates some complications with our specific offline/online workflow.  What we prefer is to transcode in RedcineX and export MXFs/AAFs/ALE.

I'd like to retranscode those clips in RedCineX.  Bring them into an Avid Bin.  Copy the previously logged data (shot names, notes, etc.) and paste onto the new transcode clips.  They are two identical sets of shots, simply brought into MC via different methods.

• Mon, Jul 31 2017 5:54 PM In reply to

This might work but please backup before proceeding.

Select the clips with the correct names in the biin.

Export an ALE.

Go to the bin with clips to rename. Select all.

Import the Shot Log/ALE, but before you do choose the option "Merge events with known master clips"

MC 8.8.2 OSX 10.12.3 Quicktime 7.6.6 Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 31 2017 5:57 PM In reply to

• ClintS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 13 2013
    • Posts 15
    • Points 205

Seems the best option is to export each bin (old footage and new footage) to an ALE (Avid Log Exchange) file by clicking on the hamburger and then "Export Bin...".  Open the ALE file with an advanced text editor like Text Wrangler for Mac or Notepad ++ for PC.  You will see all the information for the clips in columns.  With advanced text editors you can hold a modifier key to highlight a specific block of text to edit by clicking and dragging a selection box over it.  Highlight and copy the clip names from the original bin, then highlight and paste the text to the new bin.  You can do this for any column.  Save and close.  Once finished, go back to your new bin in Avid, highlight all the clips, click on the hamburger and and select "Input > Import Media..." and open the edited ALE file.  All your clip names will now reflect the changes you made in the text editor.  Probably best to make a backup of your bins before doing this in case you make a mistake.  Good luck!

Edit: Looks like James beat me to the punch.  His method has fewer steps because he's recommending just importing the ALE from the bin with properly named clips into the new bin.  This should work just fine and would be faster.

Windows 10; Dual Xeon E5-2690 2.9GHz; 64 GB RAM; GeForce GTX Titan X Pascal Avid MC 8.8.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 31 2017 8:39 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,582
    • Points 65,470

I second the ALE, that can be edited with a spreadsheet too by the way. If the footage has not been imported already, It can even be batch imported after ingesting the ALE file. 

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Jul 31 2017 9:27 PM In reply to

I thought ALE was dropped from MC? Or was that EDL Manager? Or both???

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 31 2017 9:37 PM In reply to

• ClintS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 13 2013
    • Posts 15
    • Points 205

luca.mg:

I second the ALE, that can be edited with a spreadsheet too by the way.

Great point.  I'm used to using an advanced text editor because of the batch-renaming abilities that Text Wrangler has for finding>replacing text in specified blocks.  A spreadsheed would work great for replacing entire clip names.

Windows 10; Dual Xeon E5-2690 2.9GHz; 64 GB RAM; GeForce GTX Titan X Pascal Avid MC 8.8.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 31 2017 10:04 PM In reply to

https://forums.creativecow.net

Google: How to import ALE without Avid Log Exchange

How to import ALE without Avid Log Exchange

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller